Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ActiveX control question

ActiveX control question

fniles

I have an ActiveX control in my ASP page that has not been signed yet, so
currently just for testing I set the Security for Intranet to "Low".
When I run the ASP page on my machine (the IIS is in my machine), I have no
problem, except the page prompted me with "An ActiveX control on this page
might be unsafe to interact with other parts of the page. Do you want to
allow this interaction?"
But, when I run the ASP page on another machine (even though the other
machine is also a development machine that already has the ActiveX control
and I set the Security for Intranet to "Low"), it did not prompt me the
above message, and I got an error when accesing any method of the AX control
(e.g Object doesn't support this property or method 'myAXControl.method').

Is this because I have to create a CAB file and mark the AX control as safe
for scripting ?
To create a CAB file for this AX control, do I need to create my own VB AX
Control project that contains this control and then create a cab file for
this VB project ?

Thanks a lot.

AlanM

"fniles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an ActiveX control in my ASP page that has not been signed yet, so
>currently just for testing I set the Security for Intranet to "Low".
> When I run the ASP page on my machine (the IIS is in my machine), I have
> no problem, except the page prompted me with "An ActiveX control on this
> page might be unsafe to interact with other parts of the page. Do you want
> to allow this interaction?"

OK I'm no expert on this but from my own experiences ill tell you what I
know

when you build a control on a machine it is installed on that machine(don't
ask me where or how) so that you can run it on that machine.

Later when you say install it on the server it will be available from all
machines.

so if it is only working on your machine and not any others in the network I
would say that it is using the test machines version and not the version on
the server.

try downloading the LPKTool and signing it if you need to test it on the
server.

if you find that the same version is installed on the server and still does
not run, check any data connections in the control are viable from other
machines on the network

when you test it, it is useing the devlopment