Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP.NET 2/Global.asax/code-behind/Application_Start

ASP.NET 2/Global.asax/code-behind/Application_Start

NoNickname

Hi,

I need to get a string from a COM component at application start. (It's a
Long Story and I cannot change this fact.) In ASP.NET 1.1, I simply called
this COM component in Global.asax.cs from Application_Start, stuck the string
in the HttpApplication.Application object and life was good.

However, I've noticed in ASP.NET 2.0 you are not given the opportunity to
create a .cs codebehind file for the Global.asax when you go to "Add New
Item. . .". The "Place code in separate file" is grayed out. I know I can
get around this by manually creating a Global.asax.cs but I'm worried this
is creating some sort of risk.

A) What is the reason for not allowing a code behind file for Global.asax in
ASP.NET 2.0?

B) What would be the best way for my to get my string out of the COM object
at Application_Start – I do not know how do COM interop from a "code-inside"
file because it seems like you can not add the "using" statement?

Thanks,
Nick

[MSFT]

Hello,

To add Application_Start() function in VS 2005, you can select "add new
Items" and you will find "Global Application Class". This is different from
VS 2003.

Hope this help,

Luke

Bob Barrows [MVP]

While you may be lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who
can answer your question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your
suggest microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"