Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Please Help, Detect [X] close button.

Please Help, Detect [X] close button.

Steve Cosh

Hi,

Im writting an asp app that tracks the users scores and info (its a
training app) to a access database, ive disabled the ie toolbars and
everthing so the user must use my nav buttons so i can track what pages
they have been to.

My problem is if the user closes IE with the close button [X], is there a
way i can redirect them to my close database and save results page, i cant
use the unload event as this is trggered every time the use goes to the

Thanks for any help.

John Blessing

"Steve Cosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns970474F93C5F2sjcoshhotmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> Hi,
>
> Im writting an asp app that tracks the users scores and info (its a
> training app) to a access database, ive disabled the ie toolbars and
> everthing so the user must use my nav buttons so i can track what pages
> they have been to.
>
> My problem is if the user closes IE with the close button [X], is there a
> way i can redirect them to my close database and save results page, i cant
> use the unload event as this is trggered every time the use goes to the
>
> Thanks for any help.

Short answer in asp: No.

Design it differently.

--
John Blessing

businesses
for your meeting/class over the web.
http://www.outlook-find-replace.com - Find & Replace in Emails, Contacts,
Appointments, Tasks and Notes
http://www.schedule-email.com - Schedule multiple individual
emails/newsletters

Hal Rosser

"Steve Cosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns970474F93C5F2sjcoshhotmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> Hi,
>
> Im writting an asp app that tracks the users scores and info (its a
> training app) to a access database, ive disabled the ie toolbars and
> everthing so the user must use my nav buttons so i can track what pages
> they have been to.
>
> My problem is if the user closes IE with the close button [X], is there a
> way i can redirect them to my close database and save results page, i cant
> use the unload event as this is trggered every time the use goes to the

Doesn't each page stand alone? And each page may get info from previous page
with forms or links.
When the user sees your page, shouldn't the database connection already be
closed?
Isn't the database connection opened and closed with each page request in
response to form data?
Can't the user use [alt]+left-arrow and [alt]+rightArrow to go back and
forth even without the toolbars?
You can use cookies, too. You can make one page depend on previous page
visits to enable access.