Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Building Multilingual Portal

Building Multilingual Portal

charliewest

Building Multilingual Portal

I have been assigned a new project to build a multilingual portal using ASP
and/or ASP.NET and the expected Microsoft technologies including ADO and SQL
Server 2000.

To date, all of my Web Solutions use ADO to access data which is stored in
SQL SERVER. Given the need to develop a solution that is very easy to
localize, I wonder if now I should consider instead using XML rather than SQL
SERVER, or a combination of both.

If anyone has experience on this subject, or could point me to some
articles, suggesting alternative approaches to developing multilingual
portals using XML and/or SQL Server, that would be great. Thanks.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

charliewest wrote:
> Building Multilingual Portal
>
> I have been assigned a new project to build a multilingual portal
> using ASP and/or ASP.NET and the expected Microsoft technologies
> including ADO and SQL Server 2000.

You should not use both technologies. If you're going to use .Net, then use
it.

This group is for classic asp questions. The dotnet gurus hang out at
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet so you should post your question
there if you want more pertinent responses.

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

charliewest

Thanks Bob -

My question really doesn't regarding ASP vs ASP.NET, but instead building
multilingual websites, and if it's better to use XML files and/or stick with
SQL SERVER. I haven't seen a general newsgroup on website development, so
i've tried this one. I'm sure there are some poeple who've used ASP to do
this task...