Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Triggering automated Emails

Triggering automated Emails

Benny

Dear All,

I need to send a set of Emails from my application (reminders) each month
1st. Is there anyway in ASP scripts to trigger an event to run
automatically? I have no dedicated server, so no DLLs or Scheduler scripts
can be used. Also adding the trigger script in the application object may
not send emails in time, as we have not enough visitors to that application.
Is there any way other than 'Clicking a Send button'?

Any support will be appritiated.

Warm Regards,
Benny

McKirahan

"Benny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear All,
>
> I need to send a set of Emails from my application (reminders) each month
> 1st. Is there anyway in ASP scripts to trigger an event to run
> automatically? I have no dedicated server, so no DLLs or Scheduler scripts
> can be used. Also adding the trigger script in the application object may
> not send emails in time, as we have not enough visitors to that

application.
> Is there any way other than 'Clicking a Send button'?
>
> Any support will be appritiated.
>
> Warm Regards,
> Benny

Can you use your computer to schedule an ASP page monthly?

I use Task Manager to execute an ASP page daily at 3:00 AM.

Evertjan.

McKirahan wrote on 14 okt 2005 in

> "Benny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I need to send a set of Emails from my application (reminders) each
>> month 1st. Is there anyway in ASP scripts to trigger an event to run
>> automatically? I have no dedicated server, so no DLLs or Scheduler
>> scripts can be used. Also adding the trigger script in the
>> application object may not send emails in time, as we have not enough
>> visitors to that

> application.
>> Is there any way other than 'Clicking a Send button'?
>>
>> Any support will be appritiated.
>>
>> Warm Regards,
>> Benny

> Can you use your computer to schedule an ASP page monthly?
>
> I use Task Manager to execute an ASP page daily at 3:00 AM.

Do you mean through the server's browser?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Benny

We can use add the event in Windows scheduler, which will launch the emall
sending script.

Mostly this would be done only if you have a dedicated server.
Benny

> McKirahan wrote on 14 okt 2005 in
>
>> "Benny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I need to send a set of Emails from my application (reminders) each
>>> month 1st. Is there anyway in ASP scripts to trigger an event to run
>>> automatically? I have no dedicated server, so no DLLs or Scheduler
>>> scripts can be used. Also adding the trigger script in the
>>> application object may not send emails in time, as we have not enough
>>> visitors to that

>> application.
>>> Is there any way other than 'Clicking a Send button'?
>>>
>>> Any support will be appritiated.
>>>
>>> Warm Regards,
>>> Benny

>> Can you use your computer to schedule an ASP page monthly?
>>
>> I use Task Manager to execute an ASP page daily at 3:00 AM.

> Do you mean through the server's browser?
>

> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

McKirahan

"Benny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> We can use add the event in Windows scheduler, which will launch the emall
> sending script.
>
> Mostly this would be done only if you have a dedicated server.
> Benny

What do your ASP pages run on if not a server?

Steven Burn

I'm guessing he means he's using a third party host (can be a royal PITA in
cases where you have special requirements such as scheduled scripts etc)

Benny, your only option is to have a script or application running and
scheduled on your home computer, to connect and run, the script on your
server. However, because the URL would have to be in the public zone (i.e.
htdocs), your going to have to find a more secure way of doing whatever it
is your script is doing (should the URL ever become publicly known, your
going to be looking at the possibility of abuse .... not to mention some
seriously peeved mail recipients).

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

"McKirahan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Benny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We can use add the event in Windows scheduler, which will launch the

emall
> > sending script.
> >
> > Mostly this would be done only if you have a dedicated server.
> > Benny

> What do your ASP pages run on if not a server?

Evertjan.

Steven Burn wrote on 14 okt 2005 in

> I'm guessing he means he's using a third party host (can be a royal
> PITA in cases where you have special requirements such as scheduled
> scripts etc)
>
> Benny, your only option is to have a script or application running and
> scheduled on your home computer, to connect and run, the script on
> your server. However, because the URL would have to be in the public
> zone (i.e. htdocs), your going to have to find a more secure way of
> doing whatever it is your script is doing (should the URL ever become
> publicly known, your going to be looking at the possibility of abuse
> .... not to mention some seriously peeved mail recipients).

Why couldn't the script run automaticly on the first visit to your
/index.asp or on the first session_start after 3 o'clock in the morning?

A second running can easily be made impossibe.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Steven Burn

It could do, but thats not entirely reliable .... (i.e. though unlikely,
what happens if no-one visits the page for a couple days?)

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

> Steven Burn wrote on 14 okt 2005 in
>
> > I'm guessing he means he's using a third party host (can be a royal
> > PITA in cases where you have special requirements such as scheduled
> > scripts etc)
> >
> > Benny, your only option is to have a script or application running and
> > scheduled on your home computer, to connect and run, the script on
> > your server. However, because the URL would have to be in the public
> > zone (i.e. htdocs), your going to have to find a more secure way of
> > doing whatever it is your script is doing (should the URL ever become
> > publicly known, your going to be looking at the possibility of abuse
> > .... not to mention some seriously peeved mail recipients).
> >

> Why couldn't the script run automaticly on the first visit to your
> /index.asp or on the first session_start after 3 o'clock in the morning?
>
> A second running can easily be made impossibe.
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

Evertjan.

Steven Burn wrote on 14 okt 2005 in
> It could do, but thats not entirely reliable .... (i.e. though unlikely,
> what happens if no-one visits the page for a couple days?)

I have a visitors number of about 300 a day, so in my case that is
unlikely.

Sending a lot of emails from a site/an organisation no one visits and
wanting to do that every day, smells to me like a tin of spam.

However you could be the triggering visitor yourself in such a case.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Steven Burn

hehe, I know it's highly unlikely that there'd be no visitors.... twas just
a sort of "just incase" type of thing ;o)

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

> Steven Burn wrote on 14 okt 2005 in
> > It could do, but thats not entirely reliable .... (i.e. though unlikely,
> > what happens if no-one visits the page for a couple days?)

> I have a visitors number of about 300 a day, so in my case that is
> unlikely.
>
> Sending a lot of emails from a site/an organisation no one visits and
> wanting to do that every day, smells to me like a tin of spam.
>
> However you could be the triggering visitor yourself in such a case.
>

> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

Scanning my emails for harmfull emails etc lee.ingram Computer Support 4 01-12-2006 01:21 AM
Automated emails tshad ASP .Net 7 06-03-2005 12:57 AM
Automated Emails and Replies =?Utf-8?B?c3N0ZXZlbnM=?= ASP .Net 5 01-24-2005 07:19 PM
Is there any way/where to subscribe for automated PEP status emails? Bengt Richter Python 3 01-06-2005 12:39 PM
How to stop Sir name showing on emails from hotmail emails Drifter Computer Information 3 07-07-2004 07:15 AM

Advertisments