Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Visual InterDev 6 web project wizard and IIS question

Visual InterDev 6 web project wizard and IIS question

strutsng@gmail.com

I have 3 questions regarding IIS and ASP project creation in Visual
InterDev 6.

1) In Visual InterDev 6, When I create a new project using web project
wizard, I
put C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj as location, and it shows the following
error:

cannot create a disk-based web application in
'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj\proj_Local'. You cannot configure
'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj\proj_Local' as a frontpage web, because
the directory 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj' above it is already configured
as a frontpage web. You can open that web instead.

2) In step 1, the server I entered 127.0.0.1 for my local machine,
but what mode I should use: master mode or local mode? What's the
differences?

3) In IIS console, the default home directory is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot,
can we change
to other directory, for example, C:\projects? I have heard it will
create problems
if we do that.

Please advise. thanks!!

Roland Hall

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
:
: 1) In Visual InterDev 6, When I create a new project using web project
: wizard, I
: put C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj as location, and it shows the following
: error:

You can't create a project because one already exists.

: cannot create a disk-based web application in
: 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj\proj_Local'. You cannot configure
: 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj\proj_Local' as a frontpage web, because
: the directory 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj' above it is already configured
: as a frontpage web. You can open that web instead.

Master mode looks for a URL to connect to a server running FPSE.

: 2) In step 1, the server I entered 127.0.0.1 for my local machine,
: but what mode I should use: master mode or local mode? What's the
: differences?

When creating a new project, you give it a name, not a URL or IP address.

: 3) In IIS console, the default home directory is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot,
: can we change
: to other directory, for example, C:\projects? I have heard it will
: create problems
: if we do that.

You can create a new web site wherever you want but you cannot do this with
a desktop version of IIS because it only supports one. i.e. W2K Pro/XP Pro

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */