Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP forbidden on the network

Reply
Thread Tools

ASP forbidden on the network

 
 
J_J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
Hi,

Below is the message I received when I attempted to use a web page on our
network that makes use of ASP.

The page cannot be displayed
You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program from
a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

a.. Contact the Web site administrator if you believe this directory
should allow execute access.
HTTP Error 403.1 - Forbidden: Execute access is denied.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Does that mean that we need to relocate the files where the server allows
ASP executable commands to function?
Or can the directories properties be changed so that such executables is
allowed?

TIA
J_J


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evertjan.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
J_J wrote on 27 sep 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> Hi,
>
> Below is the message I received when I attempted to use a web page on
> our network that makes use of ASP.
>
> The page cannot be displayed
> You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable
> program from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Please try the following:
>
> a.. Contact the Web site administrator if you believe this directory
> should allow execute access.
> HTTP Error 403.1 - Forbidden: Execute access is denied.
> Internet Information Services (IIS)
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Does that mean that we need to relocate the files where the server
> allows ASP executable commands to function?
> Or can the directories properties be changed so that such executables
> is allowed?


Either ask your administrator, or if you are the one, allow the directory
involved, or relocate.

This iis(?) a iis problem, not an asp one, so ideally this is OT.


--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Replace all crosses with dots in my emailaddress)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Terren
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
Try these two things (I am assuming you are using IE)

Go to Tools-->Internet options-->Advanced.
Under Browsing scroll down to where is says Show friendly Http error
messages. Make sure this is unticked.

The try again. This should give you a better idea of what is wrong.

Then create or copy a file called index.htm into your web app root
directory C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\$webapp$\.

This file is your default page, basically is IE doesn't know what to do
then it will use this page. If it does go to this page know, then it
means you are trying to call a page that you don't have

 
Reply With Quote
 
J_J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
Thanks Terren,
Maybe I should have said that I am using an XP.
Your first suggestion (ticked or unticked) has not changed anything.
Thus with XP I do not have such a path (Inetpub) on C...I beleive this is
valid for Windows98 only.
Regards
J_J



"Terren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Try these two things (I am assuming you are using IE)
>
> Go to Tools-->Internet options-->Advanced.
> Under Browsing scroll down to where is says Show friendly Http error
> messages. Make sure this is unticked.
>
> The try again. This should give you a better idea of what is wrong.
>
> Then create or copy a file called index.htm into your web app root
> directory C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\$webapp$\.
>
> This file is your default page, basically is IE doesn't know what to do
> then it will use this page. If it does go to this page know, then it
> means you are trying to call a page that you don't have
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Barrows [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
J_J wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Below is the message I received when I attempted to use a web page on
> our network that makes use of ASP.
>
> The page cannot be displayed
> You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable
> program from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Please try the following:
>
> a.. Contact the Web site administrator if you believe this directory
> should allow execute access.
> HTTP Error 403.1 - Forbidden: Execute access is denied.
> Internet Information Services (IIS)
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Does that mean that we need to relocate the files where the server
> allows ASP executable commands to function?


Not necessarily

> Or can the directories properties be changed so that such executables
> is allowed?
>

Yes. This is done by using IIS Manager. You can find information about this
at www.iisfaq.com

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"


 
Reply With Quote
 
Prabhat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005

"J_J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Below is the message I received when I attempted to use a web page on our
> network that makes use of ASP.
>
> The page cannot be displayed
> You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program

from
> a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------

------
>
> Please try the following:
>
> a.. Contact the Web site administrator if you believe this directory
> should allow execute access.
> HTTP Error 403.1 - Forbidden: Execute access is denied.
> Internet Information Services (IIS)
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------

------
>
>
> Does that mean that we need to relocate the files where the server allows
> ASP executable commands to function?
> Or can the directories properties be changed so that such executables is
> allowed?
>
> TIA
> J_J
>


Hi,

Verify the execute permission is set to "Script and Executable" for the
folder that contains the executables.

To do this: open ISM and select the website, virtual dir and go the the
specific folder and see property - Execute Permission.

Thanks
Prabhat




 
Reply With Quote
 
Danny@Kendal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
"J_J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Below is the message I received when I attempted to use a web page on our
> network that makes use of ASP.
>
> The page cannot be displayed
> You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program
> from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.


For WindowsXP running a personal IIS webserver, do the following:

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> IIS WebServer

Use the folder tree on the left to navigate to where your local website is
stored.

Right-click (or left-click if you've swapped the button functions around) on
the folder then select PROPERTIES

Look near the bottom of the first tab (Directory), there should be an option
called "Execute Permissions". Make sure it reads "Scripts only" or "Scripts
and Executables".

Did that cure it?


 
Reply With Quote
 
J_J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
Thank you so much;
Evertjan, Terren, Bob, Prabhat and Danny
You guys are great. I get in touch with our web admin and find out that the
Server was enabled to run ASP.NET but not ASP. Enabled it and
..........everything turned to normal.
Thank you all
J_J


"Danny@Kendal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "J_J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Below is the message I received when I attempted to use a web page on our
>> network that makes use of ASP.
>>
>> The page cannot be displayed
>> You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program
>> from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.

>
> For WindowsXP running a personal IIS webserver, do the following:
>
> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> IIS WebServer
>
> Use the folder tree on the left to navigate to where your local website is
> stored.
>
> Right-click (or left-click if you've swapped the button functions around)
> on the folder then select PROPERTIES
>
> Look near the bottom of the first tab (Directory), there should be an
> option called "Execute Permissions". Make sure it reads "Scripts only" or
> "Scripts and Executables".
>
> Did that cure it?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HTTP 403.1 Forbidden: Execute Access Forbidden David Hunt ASP .Net 4 10-04-2009 08:40 PM
IIS HTTP 403.1 Forbidden: Execute Access Forbidden Mark J. McGinty ASP General 2 12-09-2005 08:54 PM
403 Access Forbidden, ASP IIS Jerry ASP .Net 2 02-24-2004 02:35 PM
re: "access forbidden" when creating a new ASP.Net project Chianti73 ASP .Net 0 12-12-2003 03:51 PM
"Access forbidden" when creating a new ASP.NET project Patrick Spence ASP .Net 2 11-20-2003 08:13 AM



Advertisments