Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Connection Error

Connection Error

Spencer Hurst

Hi, I have currently found an ASP based website that i developed about 3
years ago and am very keen to get it up and running, it's quite a simple
site, however when i try to do anything with the database i have a
problem with the DSN (I Think).

The error i get is something like the following:
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]
Drivers SQLSetConnectAttr failed.
/homepage/takeregistration.asp line 10.

The code from which this error is obtained is:

<%@ LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" %>
<% pageTitle = "Login - www.schurst.co.uk" %>
<!--#include virtual="/homepage/pagetop.txt"-->

<% p_userid = Request.form ("p_userid")
p_pass = Request.form ("p_pass")
p_save = Request.form ("p_save")

set spencerDB = Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Connection")
spencerDB.Open "spencer" <<<<< LINE 10

sqlText = "select * from members where username = '" & p_userid & "'"

set userSet = spencerDB.Execute(sqlText)
if userSet.EOF then
'No such username so the recordSet is empty
Response.Redirect "/homepage/login.asp?retry=username"
else
'The username is good, now lets check the password
real_password = trim (userSet("password"))
if p_pass = real_password then
'Password is good

Response.Cookies ("isLoggedInAs")("username") =
userSet("username")
Response.cookies("isLoggedInAs") ("first_name") =
userSet("first_name")
Response.cookies("isLoggedInAs") ("last_name") =
userSet("last_name")

if p_save = "yes" then
Response.cookies("isLoggedInAs").expires = #December 31,
2003 00:00:00#
end if

spencerDB.Close
set spencerDB = Nothing

if Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER") =
"/homepage/chat.asp" then
Response.Redirect "/homepage/chat.asp"
end if

Response.Write "<h2 class='heading'>Login successfull!</h2>"
Response.Write "<p>You are now successfully logged in, use the
menus at the top or bottom to navigate through this site."

else
'Username is not good, but password is wrong
Response.Redirect "/homepage/login.asp?retry=password"
end if
end if
%>
<!--#include virtual="/homepage/pagebottom.txt"-->
</BODY>
</HTML>

This baffles me as i have created the DSN in the advanced tools within
the control panel and selected an appropriate database. I am running
Windows 2003 server edition, using a Microsoft Access database. The same
error occurs with other pages trying to interact with the database.

Any help on this issue will be much appreciated.

Regards

Spencer

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Spencer Hurst wrote:
> Hi, I have currently found an ASP based website that i developed

Already answered over in .db

Please do not multipost Spencer. This is definitely a database-related
question so .asp.db was the perfect group in which to post it. Posting it
here as well did not increase your chances of getting an answer (most of us
subscribe to both groups). On the contrary, if somebody had taken his time
to answer it here, only to find that it was already resolved in the other
group, that person may have been annoyed enough to ignore any future posts
from you, thereby decreasing your chances of getting help in the future.

There are times when you will not be sure which group is most appropriate
(again, this was not one of them), and you will want to post a question to
both groups. In that situation, you should use the cross-posting technique,
rather than posting the same message multiple times. To crosspost, put
a semicolon-delimited* list of the newsgroups to which you wish to post in
the To: header of your post and post it once. It, and any replies to it,
will appear in all the newsgroups in your list. So, if I reply in .asp.db,
my reply will also appear here in .asp.general.

* ... or whatever delimiter is recognized by your news client

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"