Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Launch Executable

Launch Executable

Caroline

I'd like to launch an executable file from a web page. Basically, the user
enters seven parameters and then clicks a button to generate a graph. The
input is written to a file and then read by the exe. The exe then generates
a graph based upon the input parameters.

I am reading about the Process class and wondering if that is the best
approach to this. Can you recommend a KB article?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Caroline,

Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
Regarding on the question you mentioned, are you doing the obj in classic
ASP page or ASP.NET webapplication? If ASP.NET, since the .NET framework
has provide rich BCL for doing process launch , monioring task, we can
easily use the System.Diagnostics.Process class to perform the work.

If it's the classic ASP page, we are limited to the scripting means,
generally the most common means is to use The WScript.Shell object to
execute extneral command line file or executable file, here is a tech
article dicussing on this:

#How do I execute a ping command from ASP, and retrieve the results?
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2033

You can also find some other articles or threads on the web.

Thanks & Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xpbmU=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: Launch Executable
| Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:54:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general
|
| I'd like to launch an executable file from a web page. Basically, the
user
| enters seven parameters and then clicks a button to generate a graph.
The
| input is written to a file and then read by the exe. The exe then
generates
| a graph based upon the input parameters.
|
| I am reading about the Process class and wondering if that is the best
| approach to this. Can you recommend a KB article?

Caroline

Hi Steven,

I am using ASP.Net. Thanks for the article reference. I'll read it now.

Best,

Caroline

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Caroline,
>
> Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
> Regarding on the question you mentioned, are you doing the obj in classic
> ASP page or ASP.NET webapplication? If ASP.NET, since the .NET framework
> has provide rich BCL for doing process launch , monioring task, we can
> easily use the System.Diagnostics.Process class to perform the work.
>
> If it's the classic ASP page, we are limited to the scripting means,
> generally the most common means is to use The WScript.Shell object to
> execute extneral command line file or executable file, here is a tech
> article dicussing on this:
>
> #How do I execute a ping command from ASP, and retrieve the results?
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2033
>
> You can also find some other articles or threads on the web.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)
>

> --------------------
> | From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xpbmU=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | Subject: Launch Executable
> | Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:54:03 -0700
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general
> |
> | I'd like to launch an executable file from a web page. Basically, the
> user
> | enters seven parameters and then clicks a button to generate a graph.
> The
> | input is written to a file and then read by the exe. The exe then
> generates
> | a graph based upon the input parameters.
> |
> | I am reading about the Process class and wondering if that is the best
> | approach to this. Can you recommend a KB article?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Caroline wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>
> I am using ASP.Net. Thanks for the article reference. I'll read it
> now.

HTH,
Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Caroline,

Here is another KB article discussing on spawn new process in ASP.NET which
running under the imperosated security context:

#How to spawn a process that runs under the context of the impersonated
user in Microsoft ASP.NET pages
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=889251

In addition, next time for ASP.NET questions, please feel free to post in
the

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xpbmU=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: RE: Launch Executable
| Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:16:08 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general
|
| Hi Steven,
|
| I am using ASP.Net. Thanks for the article reference. I'll read it now.
|
| Best,
|
| Caroline
|
| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Caroline,
| >
| > Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
| > Regarding on the question you mentioned, are you doing the obj in
classic
| > ASP page or ASP.NET webapplication? If ASP.NET, since the .NET
framework
| > has provide rich BCL for doing process launch , monioring task, we can
| > easily use the System.Diagnostics.Process class to perform the work.
| >
| > If it's the classic ASP page, we are limited to the scripting means,
| > generally the most common means is to use The WScript.Shell object to
| > execute extneral command line file or executable file, here is a tech
| > article dicussing on this:
| >
| > #How do I execute a ping command from ASP, and retrieve the results?
| > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2033
| >
| > You can also find some other articles or threads on the web.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)