Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Forcs download file to Temporary Internet Files

Forcs download file to Temporary Internet Files

Norton

Hi all,

I would like to know if there is any method in asp or asp.net to direct the
browser to download a file into the Temporary Internet Files directory so
that i can make use of vb script to do the further process

ie. tells IE to download my desired Word File into the Temporary Internet
Files and call an office com object to open it

Thx in advance
Regards,

Norton

John Saunders

"Norton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know if there is any method in asp or asp.net to direct

the
> browser to download a file into the Temporary Internet Files directory so
> that i can make use of vb script to do the further process
>
> ie. tells IE to download my desired Word File into the Temporary Internet
> Files and call an office com object to open it

Why would it have to be in Temporary Internet Files in order for vbscript to
operate on it?
--
John Saunders
johnwsaundersiii at hotmail

Norton

i don't want the browser to open the doc file n the server directly lee

"John Saunders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uNRP%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Norton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to know if there is any method in asp or asp.net to direct

> the
> > browser to download a file into the Temporary Internet Files directory

so
> > that i can make use of vb script to do the further process
> >
> > ie. tells IE to download my desired Word File into the Temporary

Internet
> > Files and call an office com object to open it

> Why would it have to be in Temporary Internet Files in order for vbscript

> operate on it?
> --
> John Saunders
> johnwsaundersiii at hotmail

John Saunders

"Norton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> i don't want the browser to open the doc file n the server directly lee

Ok, but why would it have to be in Temporary Internet Files in order to
prevent the browser from opening it directly?
--
John Saunders
johnwsaundersiii at hotmail

> "John Saunders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uNRP%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Norton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I would like to know if there is any method in asp or asp.net to

direct
> > the
> > > browser to download a file into the Temporary Internet Files directory

> so
> > > that i can make use of vb script to do the further process
> > >
> > > ie. tells IE to download my desired Word File into the Temporary

> Internet
> > > Files and call an office com object to open it

> > Why would it have to be in Temporary Internet Files in order for

vbscript
> > operate on it?
> > --
> > John Saunders
> > johnwsaundersiii at hotmail

Norton

because the target file is a doc file .
which i think it is not expected to directly open from web browser, when one
user has opened the file, the other user can get an unexpected result if he
attempts to open that file..

I have fixed the problem by adding a "?DummyData" code after the link of
that doc, which will download the doc to temp folder...

but seems funny

"John Saunders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Norton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i don't want the browser to open the doc file n the server directly lee
> >

> Ok, but why would it have to be in Temporary Internet Files in order to
> prevent the browser from opening it directly?
> --
> John Saunders
> johnwsaundersiii at hotmail
>
> > "John Saunders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:uNRP%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > "Norton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> direct
> > > the

directory
> > so

> > Internet
> > >
> > > Why would it have to be in Temporary Internet Files in order for

> vbscript
> > > operate on it?
> > > --
> > > John Saunders
> > > johnwsaundersiii at hotmail

John Saunders

"Norton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> because the target file is a doc file .
> which i think it is not expected to directly open from web browser, when

one
> user has opened the file, the other user can get an unexpected result if

he
> attempts to open that file..
>
> I have fixed the problem by adding a "?DummyData" code after the link of
> that doc, which will download the doc to temp folder...

I have never had any problem with a browser opening a .doc file. I have
never heard of any reason to put .doc files or anything else into "Temporary
Internet Files", which isn't even a real directory.

I think you should try putting the .doc files somewhere else and then see
what happens.
--
John Saunders
johnwsaundersiii at hotmail