Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: Run an executable from ASP.NET

Re: Run an executable from ASP.NET

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Are you trying to run the executable on the server or the client?
Either way, you're likely to run into (different) security issues.
Is this an Intranet site or Internet site?
On the server apps do not have access to a desktop so you cannot display UI,
but you should be able to run some basic command line apps and other apps
that don't display windows.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

"Julia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>

> How is everybody???
>
> Is there a way to launch an executable from an .aspx page???
>
> I found this instruction System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("notepad.exe");,

but does not seem to work for an ASP.NET app.

> Any ideas,
>
> Thank in advance
>
> Julia

Marlene Arauz Martin

I'am trying to run it on the Server and is a Extranet environment.
How can I do this?? What are the issues?

Thank you,

Julia

What
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you trying to run the executable on the server or the client?
> Either way, you're likely to run into (different) security issues.
> Is this an Intranet site or Internet site?
> On the server apps do not have access to a desktop so you cannot display

UI,
> but you should be able to run some basic command line apps and other apps
> that don't display windows.
>
> --
> I hope this helps,
> Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> http://Steve.Orr.net
>

> "Julia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >

> > How is everybody???
> >
> > Is there a way to launch an executable from an .aspx page???
> >
> > I found this instruction

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("notepad.exe");,
> but does not seem to work for an ASP.NET app.
> >
> > Any ideas,
> >
> > Thank in advance
> >
> > Julia

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Well, the ASPNET user account runs everything on the server by default. It
has limited permissions. You need to give it all the permissions you need,
or you need to use impersonation to have it run under an account that has
more permissions (and maybe a desktop.)
You should be able to run some basic command line apps and other apps that
don't display windows without major hassles.
Here's more info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ersonation.asp

--
I hope this helps,