Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Starting a process within an ASP.NET web from

Starting a process within an ASP.NET web from

Thomas Wenzl [MVP]

Hello,

Initial situation:
- ASP.NET application.
- Users upload a file
- that file has to be converted into another file format using
a unmanged application that uses a lot of COM components

What has already worked?
- Upload works
- starting a process, generating a file, download, etc. -
when using a managed test application
- converting a file using the real convert application
from a console window

What does not work?
- converting a file using the convert application when
started from an ASP.NET web form
- the process does appear in task manager for a very
short moment, but is closed immediately

What could I verify or test? Any tips and hints
are appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards
--
Thomas Wenzl [MVP for Live Communications Server]

Share what you know, learn what you don't!
(Deja/Google)

Scott Meddows

Is the application that you are invoking a custom application of yours? You could see if there are any errors being generated and
writing them into a text file of something.

"Thomas Wenzl [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Initial situation:
> - ASP.NET application.
> - Users upload a file
> - that file has to be converted into another file format using
> a unmanged application that uses a lot of COM components
>
> What has already worked?
> - Upload works
> - starting a process, generating a file, download, etc. -
> when using a managed test application
> - converting a file using the real convert application
> from a console window
>
> What does not work?
> - converting a file using the convert application when
> started from an ASP.NET web form
> - the process does appear in task manager for a very
> short moment, but is closed immediately
>

> What could I verify or test? Any tips and hints
> are appreciated.
>
> Thank you very much in advance!
>
> Regards
> --
> Thomas Wenzl [MVP for Live Communications Server]
>
> Share what you know, learn what you don't!
> (Deja/Google)

Thomas Wenzl [MVP]

Scott,

Scott Meddows wrote:
> Is the application that you are invoking a custom application of
> yours? You could see if there are any errors being generated and
> writing them into a text file of something.

unfortunately not. If it would be one of my applications I
could add some debugging code to a special debug build
to test this.

I read the standard output and standard error stream,
but nothing interesting there.

As I said, the app appears only for a short moment
(a second or so). I wait for the exit of the process,
that means, it should have been closed properly.

The managed test application works, but it doesn't
start any other applications and doesn't do any
COM operations.

Any other ideas?

Regards
--
Thomas Wenzl [MVP for Live Communications Server]

Share what you know, learn what you don't!
(Deja/Google)

John Saunders

"Thomas Wenzl [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Scott,
>
> Scott Meddows wrote:
> > Is the application that you are invoking a custom application of
> > yours? You could see if there are any errors being generated and
> > writing them into a text file of something.

> unfortunately not. If it would be one of my applications I
> could add some debugging code to a special debug build
> to test this.
>
> I read the standard output and standard error stream,
> but nothing interesting there.
>
> As I said, the app appears only for a short moment
> (a second or so). I wait for the exit of the process,
> that means, it should have been closed properly.
>
> The managed test application works, but it doesn't
> start any other applications and doesn't do any
> COM operations.

Yes. Try starting notepad (a different unmanaged application), or try
changing your managed test application to start other applications or to do
COM operations. See if any of those fail.
--
John Saunders
johnwsaundersiii at hotmail