Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > how to prevent session from timing out when using XMLHTTP object

how to prevent session from timing out when using XMLHTTP object

Glenn Venzke

I have an asp classic app running on W2000/IIS 5. To cut down on page
reloads, I am using client-side javascript to retreive web content using the
"XMLHTTP" active x control. I then populate divs with the html that gets
returned. The pages that contain the desired web content reside in the same
application as the "caller". The problem is that all the http requests made
using this control are not happening under the same user session as the
"parent" page. This presents 2 problems:

(1) all session variables available to the parent are not accessable in the
pages that XMLHTTP is requesting.

(2) since no web activity done in this fashion refreshes the session used by
the calling page, that session times out. Is there any way to have both these
processes occur within the context of a single session? If not, is there any
way in ASP to access all current user sessions in the application &
programatically refresh any one of them? I'm trying to find a solution that
doesn't involve replacing session variables with cookies or creating a whole
new custom session management system.