Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > javascript form validation - form action to another asp page

javascript form validation - form action to another asp page

iam247@gmail.com

Hi

In my prototype asp page (with no javascript and no password
validation, I have a registration form with the following action:

<form name="form" method="post" action="RegDetails.asp">

This works fine, the form details are collected by RegDetails.asp

I am attempting to include javascript server side validation for the
pasword, which obviously requires password and password2 fields (to be
verified). I have used the script available at:

http://javascript.internet.com/forms/val-pass.html

It works fine in a new blank page with the form action:

<form name=myForm onSubmit="return validatePwd()">

The final stage in this javascript demo form displays an alert box:

else {
alert('Nice job.');
return true;

When I change the first line of my original form to:

<form name=myForm onSubmit="return validatePwd()">

how do I get my original action of - action="RegDetails.asp" instead
of this alert box?

Thanks ColinK

iam247@gmail.com

Hi Dave

Thanks for your interest.

My original form, without validation had the following original action:

<form name="myform" method="post" action="RegDetails.asp">

I modified my form from the one I got at:

http://javascript.internet.com/forms/val-pass.html

<form name=myForm onSubmit="return validatePwd()">

So the action of the form now passes Pasword and Password2 to the
javascript for validation - BUT how do I then get my form fields to
pass to my other page RegDetails.asp ?

Thanks ColinK

iam247@gmail.com

Hi Dave

Thanks for your interest.

My original form, without validation had the following action:

<form name="myform" method="post" action="RegDetails.asp">

I modified my form from the one I got at:

http://javascript.internet.com/forms/val-pass.html

<form name=myForm onSubmit="return validatePwd()">

The form now passes Password and Password2 to the
javascript for validation - BUT how do I then get my form fields to
pass to my other page RegDetails.asp ? ie to also do the following
action:

action="RegDetails.asp"

iam247@gmail.com

Hi

>If you do not quote, I will not respond further

Thanks for your help.

The quote was copied manually.

Using google how do I reply and include the original message?

Thanks Colin

iam247@gmail.com

Hi Dave

Your message to me - I do not know how to copy with >

Truth is, a FORM element is allowed to have both an ACTION attribute
and an
ONSUBMIT attribute at the same time. I have no idea why you took the
action
out in the first place. Put it back. Returning a value of [false] will
prevent the form submission. Example:

<form action="xxx.asp" onsubmit="return validate(this)">
<input name="favoriteIceCream">
</form>
function validate(f) {
if (f.favoriteIceCream.value == "") return false
return true
}

I do not have enough experience to use the above apart from
understanding

>a FORM element is allowed to have both an ACTION attribute and an

ONSUBMIT attribute at the same time.

But I cannot implement both at the same time

When I use either of the 2 form headers below, the passwords are
verified but the form fields are sent back to the same form as a
querystring added to the form page url - the form reopens blank.

>From what you are saying, the second form header should post the form

fields to register.asp

<form name=myForm onSubmit="return validatePwd()">

<form name=myform method=post onSubmit="return validatePwd()"
action=RegDetails.asp>

My original form without the javascript has this header and posts OK.

<form name=form method=post action=RegDetails.asp>

Just as a reminder the javascript came from:
http://javascript.internet.com/forms/val-pass.html

Any further help would be appreciated

ColinK

iam247@gmail.com

Hi Dave
Thanks for your continued interest.

As per my previous post I still do not know how to copy with > - so the
follwoing is manually copied:

Truth is, a FORM element is allowed to have both an ACTION attribute
and an
ONSUBMIT attribute at the same time. I have no idea why you took the
action
out in the first place. Put it back. Returning a value of [false] will
prevent the form submission. Example:

<form action="xxx.asp" onsubmit="return validate(this)">
<input name="favoriteIceCream">
</form>
function validate(f) {
if (f.favoriteIceCream.value == "") return false
return true
}

Hopefully the following will more accurately clarify the problem.
If I copy all of the script from:
<form name=myform method=post onSubmit="return validatePwd()"
action=RegDetails.asp>

Into a new page, the validation works fine. If the 2 passwords match
the final result is:
1. The "nice Job" alert pops up
2. A blank form reloads with the original url + the querystring of
Password 1& 2
eg
http://localhost/gc7/www/pass.asp?pa...ssword2=123456

If I remove the complete line for the last alert
alert('Nice job.');

Result 1 above obviously does not work but result 2 does.

The Problem

If I change the form header from the original to any of the 2
alternatives - shown at bottom (from my own original non validating
page) The form does not validate the passwords but post to
RegDetails.asp - same as my own original.

I want to be able to validate and post - but I can't do both

Thanks ColinK
ORIGINAL
<form name=myForm onSubmit="return validatePwd()">
ALTERNATIVE1
<form name="myform" method="post" onSubmit="return validatePwd()"
action="RegDetails.asp">
ALTERNATIVE2
<form name=myform method=post onSubmit="return validatePwd()"
action=RegDetails.asp>

Note I have 2 alternatives as the javascript did not seem to like the
"" in some parts of my original page.

iam247@gmail.com

Hi Dave

I still do not know how to copy the original post - so the following is
manually copied

[...]

I was going to write a post that suggested you were an "too arrogont
with your responses" but then I thought "maybe Dave is a leading light
in in this newsgroup - I better be sure before I write too much"

I also thought, "maybe it was the way I posed the question"

Then I did some research into previous posts - over a few years.

You are too arrogont with your responses - frequently

I did get polite and helpful solutions elsewhere.

In future, if you see a post from me just ignore it.

Thanks ColinK