Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Response.Redirect in a loop?!

Response.Redirect in a loop?!

Malcolm Messiter

Hello

I have a question to while I hope someone has the answer!

In order to send several SMS texts from a web site, I need to invoke a new
URL with a query string containing the parametres. So I put:

<%
while (something)
Response.Redirect www.xyz.com?p1=xx,p2=yy... etc.
wend
%>

Trouble is of course, control goes off to the xyz site never to return.

What's the solution?!

Best wishes

Malcolm Messiter

Steven Burn

While <something>
'// Setup Init
Dim objXMLHTTP, tmStart, bErrorReturned, tmCurr, iTimeTaken, strURL
strURL = "http://www.xyz.com?p1=xx,p2=yy"

'// Begin objXMLHTTP
set objXMLHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")
on error resume next
objXMLHTTP.open "POST", strURL, false
objXMLHTTP.setRequestHeader "User-Agent",
Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_HOST")
objXMLHTTP.send ""
tmStart = Now
bErrorReturned = 0
Do
tmCurr = Now
iTimeTaken = CInt(DateDiff("s", tmStart, tmCurr))
If iTimeTaken > 8 Then '// 8 = timeout (in seconds)
Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error: Query timed
out</b></font>"
objXMLHTTP.Abort
bErrorReturned = 1
Exit Do
End If
Loop While objXMLHTTP.ReadyState <> 4
If bErrorReturned <> 1 Then
if Err.Number <> 0 or objXMLHTTP.Status <> 200 then
Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error: Query timed
out</b></font>"
else
Response.Write = objXMLHTTP.ResponseText
end if
end if
set objXMLHTTP = nothing
Loop

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!
"Malcolm Messiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I have a question to while I hope someone has the answer!
>
> In order to send several SMS texts from a web site, I need to invoke a new
> URL with a query string containing the parametres. So I put:
>
> <%
> while (something)
> Response.Redirect www.xyz.com?p1=xx,p2=yy... etc.
> wend
> %>
>
> Trouble is of course, control goes off to the xyz site never to return.
>
> What's the solution?!
>
> Best wishes
>
> Malcolm Messiter

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]

> Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error:

> Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error:

> Response.Write = objXMLHTTP.ResponseText

Of course, these all should have the = removed (.write is a method, not a
property).

Steven Burn

hehe knew I'd forget to remove something (I originally wrote it as a
function, hence the =)

Apologies for the screwup \

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

"Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error:

> > Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error:

> > Response.Write = objXMLHTTP.ResponseText

> Of course, these all should have the = removed (.write is a method, not a
> property).

Malcolm Messiter

I tried this thanks! I get a timeout error every time, but the URL does
work when tested on its own.
Any ideas?!

Thanks!!

Malcolm

"Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> While <something>
> '// Setup Init
> Dim objXMLHTTP, tmStart, bErrorReturned, tmCurr, iTimeTaken, strURL
> strURL = "http://www.xyz.com?p1=xx,p2=yy"
>
> '// Begin objXMLHTTP
> set objXMLHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")
> on error resume next
> objXMLHTTP.open "POST", strURL, false
> objXMLHTTP.setRequestHeader "User-Agent",
> Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_HOST")
> objXMLHTTP.send ""
> tmStart = Now
> bErrorReturned = 0
> Do
> tmCurr = Now
> iTimeTaken = CInt(DateDiff("s", tmStart, tmCurr))
> If iTimeTaken > 8 Then '// 8 = timeout (in seconds)
> Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error: Query timed
> out</b></font>"
> objXMLHTTP.Abort
> bErrorReturned = 1
> Exit Do
> End If
> Loop While objXMLHTTP.ReadyState <> 4
> If bErrorReturned <> 1 Then
> if Err.Number <> 0 or objXMLHTTP.Status <> 200 then
> Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error: Query timed
> out</b></font>"
> else
> Response.Write = objXMLHTTP.ResponseText
> end if
> end if
> set objXMLHTTP = nothing
> Loop
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Steven Burn
> Ur I.T. Mate Group
> www.it-mate.co.uk
>
> Keeping it FREE!
> "Malcolm Messiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello
>>
>> I have a question to while I hope someone has the answer!
>>
>> In order to send several SMS texts from a web site, I need to invoke a

new
>> URL with a query string containing the parametres. So I put:
>>
>> <%
>> while (something)
>> Response.Redirect www.xyz.com?p1=xx,p2=yy... etc.
>> wend
>> %>
>>
>> Trouble is of course, control goes off to the xyz site never to return.
>>
>> What's the solution?!
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Malcolm Messiter

Malcolm Messiter

Thanks again! It's working now. I had blocked ALL udp ports on the server.
With them open it can get to a DNS server and resolve the address.

They're ALL open now. I wish I knew which ports were needed. I'd prefer to
close the rest.

Do you know which ports are needed for DNS?

Best wishes

Malcolm

"Malcolm Messiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I tried this thanks! I get a timeout error every time, but the URL does
> work when tested on its own.
> Any ideas?!
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Malcolm
>

> "Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > While <something>
> > '// Setup Init
> > Dim objXMLHTTP, tmStart, bErrorReturned, tmCurr, iTimeTaken,

strURL
> > strURL = "http://www.xyz.com?p1=xx,p2=yy"
> >
> > '// Begin objXMLHTTP
> > set objXMLHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")
> > on error resume next
> > objXMLHTTP.open "POST", strURL, false
> > objXMLHTTP.setRequestHeader "User-Agent",
> > Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_HOST")
> > objXMLHTTP.send ""
> > tmStart = Now
> > bErrorReturned = 0
> > Do
> > tmCurr = Now
> > iTimeTaken = CInt(DateDiff("s", tmStart, tmCurr))
> > If iTimeTaken > 8 Then '// 8 = timeout (in seconds)
> > Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error: Query timed
> > out</b></font>"
> > objXMLHTTP.Abort
> > bErrorReturned = 1
> > Exit Do
> > End If
> > Loop While objXMLHTTP.ReadyState <> 4
> > If bErrorReturned <> 1 Then
> > if Err.Number <> 0 or objXMLHTTP.Status <> 200 then
> > Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error: Query timed
> > out</b></font>"
> > else
> > Response.Write = objXMLHTTP.ResponseText
> > end if
> > end if
> > set objXMLHTTP = nothing
> > Loop
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Steven Burn
> > Ur I.T. Mate Group
> > www.it-mate.co.uk
> >
> > Keeping it FREE!
> > "Malcolm Messiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> I have a question to while I hope someone has the answer!
> >>
> >> In order to send several SMS texts from a web site, I need to invoke

> new
> >> URL with a query string containing the parametres. So I put:
> >>
> >> <%
> >> while (something)
> >> Response.Redirect www.xyz.com?p1=xx,p2=yy... etc.
> >> wend
> >> %>
> >>
> >> Trouble is of course, control goes off to the xyz site never to

return.

> >> What's the solution?!
> >>
> >> Best wishes
> >>
> >> Malcolm Messiter

Steven Burn

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

::: Declaration :::

Ur I.T. Mate Group is NOT a company, it is a non-commercial and not for
profit collection of websites developed and maintained by Steven Burn.

Websites and domains currently owned by Ur I.T. Mate Group are provided on a
free to view and use basis. Ur I.T. Mate Group does not and will not ask for
or solicit, personal information*, password, credit card details or
payments. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Ur I.T. Mate Group and Steven Burn (CEO) are based in the United Kingdom.

* Except where registration for an online service is required (e.g. forums,
sGB)

"Malcolm Messiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks again! It's working now. I had blocked ALL udp ports on the

server.
> With them open it can get to a DNS server and resolve the address.
>
> They're ALL open now. I wish I knew which ports were needed. I'd prefer

> close the rest.
>
> Do you know which ports are needed for DNS?
>
> Best wishes
>
> Malcolm
>

> "Malcolm Messiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I tried this thanks! I get a timeout error every time, but the URL

does
> > work when tested on its own.
> > Any ideas?!
> >
> > Thanks!!
> >
> > Malcolm
> >

> > "Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > While <something>
> > > '// Setup Init
> > > Dim objXMLHTTP, tmStart, bErrorReturned, tmCurr, iTimeTaken,

> strURL
> > > strURL = "http://www.xyz.com?p1=xx,p2=yy"
> > >
> > > '// Begin objXMLHTTP
> > > set objXMLHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")
> > > on error resume next
> > > objXMLHTTP.open "POST", strURL, false
> > > objXMLHTTP.setRequestHeader "User-Agent",
> > > Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_HOST")
> > > objXMLHTTP.send ""
> > > tmStart = Now
> > > bErrorReturned = 0
> > > Do
> > > tmCurr = Now
> > > iTimeTaken = CInt(DateDiff("s", tmStart, tmCurr))
> > > If iTimeTaken > 8 Then '// 8 = timeout (in seconds)
> > > Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error: Query

timed
> > > out</b></font>"
> > > objXMLHTTP.Abort
> > > bErrorReturned = 1
> > > Exit Do
> > > End If
> > > Loop While objXMLHTTP.ReadyState <> 4
> > > If bErrorReturned <> 1 Then
> > > if Err.Number <> 0 or objXMLHTTP.Status <> 200 then
> > > Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error: Query

timed
> > > out</b></font>"
> > > else
> > > Response.Write = objXMLHTTP.ResponseText
> > > end if
> > > end if
> > > set objXMLHTTP = nothing
> > > Loop
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Steven Burn
> > > Ur I.T. Mate Group
> > > www.it-mate.co.uk
> > >
> > > Keeping it FREE!
> > > "Malcolm Messiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

invoke
> > new

> return.

Malcolm Messiter

Thanks ... but I tried that, and with only 53 open (UDP, and TCP too for
good measure) it fails. I guess it needs other UDP port(s) too. I wonder
which ?!

"Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OR$(E-Mail Removed)...
> 53
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Steven Burn
> Ur I.T. Mate Group
> www.it-mate.co.uk
>
> ::: Declaration :::
>
> Ur I.T. Mate Group is NOT a company, it is a non-commercial and not for
> profit collection of websites developed and maintained by Steven Burn.
>
> Websites and domains currently owned by Ur I.T. Mate Group are provided

on a
> free to view and use basis. Ur I.T. Mate Group does not and will not ask

for
> or solicit, personal information*, password, credit card details or
> payments. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.
>
> Ur I.T. Mate Group and Steven Burn (CEO) are based in the United

Kingdom.

> * Except where registration for an online service is required (e.g.

forums,
> sGB)
>
> "Malcolm Messiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Thanks again! It's working now. I had blocked ALL udp ports on the

> server.
>> With them open it can get to a DNS server and resolve the address.
>>
>> They're ALL open now. I wish I knew which ports were needed. I'd

prefer
>> close the rest.
>>
>> Do you know which ports are needed for DNS?
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Malcolm
>>

>> "Malcolm Messiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I tried this thanks! I get a timeout error every time, but the URL

> does
>> > work when tested on its own.
>> > Any ideas?!
>> >
>> > Thanks!!
>> >
>> > Malcolm
>> >

>> > "Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> strURL

> timed

> timed

> invoke
>> > new

>> return.

Steven Burn

I've only opened port 53 for it on my router (TCP/UDP incoming/outgoing) and
it's running fine?

Have you checked the DNS data in the Event Viewer?

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

"Malcolm Messiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks ... but I tried that, and with only 53 open (UDP, and TCP too for
> good measure) it fails. I guess it needs other UDP port(s) too. I wonder
> which ?!
>
> "Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OR$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > 53
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Steven Burn
> > Ur I.T. Mate Group
> > www.it-mate.co.uk
> >
> > ::: Declaration :::
> >
> > Ur I.T. Mate Group is NOT a company, it is a non-commercial and not

for
> > profit collection of websites developed and maintained by Steven Burn.
> >
> > Websites and domains currently owned by Ur I.T. Mate Group are

provided
> on a
> > free to view and use basis. Ur I.T. Mate Group does not and will not

ask
> for
> > or solicit, personal information*, password, credit card details or
> > payments. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.
> >
> > Ur I.T. Mate Group and Steven Burn (CEO) are based in the United

> Kingdom.
> >
> > * Except where registration for an online service is required (e.g.

> forums,
> > sGB)
> >
> > "Malcolm Messiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> Thanks again! It's working now. I had blocked ALL udp ports on the

> > server.
> >> With them open it can get to a DNS server and resolve the address.
> >>
> >> They're ALL open now. I wish I knew which ports were needed. I'd

> prefer
> >> close the rest.
> >>
> >> Do you know which ports are needed for DNS?
> >>
> >> Best wishes
> >>
> >> Malcolm
> >>

> >> "Malcolm Messiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news(E-Mail Removed)...

URL
> > does

iTimeTaken,
> >> strURL

> > timed

> > timed

> > invoke

> >> return.

Malcolm Messiter

I haven't checked the Event Viewer - not sure I know how! I will look into
that.
It certainly stopped working when I only had 53 open, and I guess I need
to see what other ports are in use. I'll try now to run this event
viewer....

news:ubSu%(E-Mail Removed)...