Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Error while including a new include file in ASP

Error while including a new include file in ASP

Sarath

I am working with an application using ASP, getting below error when i am
trying to include new asp include file.
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0006'
Overflow: '[number: 33994]'

I am sure that there is no error in the new asp file as if i delete any
existing include file then no issues.

This is dynamic include and currently we are loading around 800 include files.

Is there any maximum limit for number of include files limitation in ASP?

Thanks in advance.

Sarath kumar

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Sarath wrote:
> I am working with an application using ASP, getting below error when
> i am trying to include new asp include file.
> __________________________________________________ ___________________
> Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0006'
> Overflow: '[number: 33994]'
> __________________________________________________ __________________
>
> I am sure that there is no error in the new asp file as if i delete
> any existing include file then no issues.
>
> This is dynamic include and currently we are loading around 800
> include files.
>
> Is there any maximum limit for number of include files limitation in
> ASP?

No, the problem is more likely an attempt in your include file to use an
Integer when you should be using a Long. Go through the code, especially
where any multiplication or addition occurs, and explicitly cast the
variables involved in the calculations as Longs using the CLng function.

Remember, the result of the addition or multiplication of two Integers is
required to be an Integer (max 3267. If the result of the operation is
greater than 32678, you get an overflow. For example:
dim x, y, z
x=2
y=16997
'these are stored as Integer by default
on error resume next
response.write "Without CLng():<BR>"
z=x*y
if err<>0 then
response.write err.description
err.clear
else
response.write z
end if
response.write "<BR>Using CLng():<BR>"
z=clng(x) * clng(y)
if err<>0 then
response.write err.description
err.clear
else
response.write z
end if

In order to guarantee that vbscript reserves enough space for the result of
the calculation, you need to cast the operands as Longs before performing
the operation. This forces vbscript to reserve space in memory for a Long
value instead of an Integer.

HTH,
Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Roland Hall

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: __________________________________________________ ___________________
: __________________________________________________ __________________
:
: I am sure that there is no error in the new asp file as if i delete any
: existing include file then no issues.
:
: This is dynamic include and currently we are loading around 800 include
files.
:
: Is there any maximum limit for number of include files limitation in ASP?

Did it report a line number? See if this helps:

http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=1694

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Sarath

Thanks for quick response.
I am sure that there is no error in the new asp file as if i delete
any existing include file then no issues.

More over there are no arithmetic operations in the include files.

Thanks,
Sarath

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:

> Sarath wrote:
> > I am working with an application using ASP, getting below error when
> > i am trying to include new asp include file.
> > __________________________________________________ ___________________
> > Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0006'
> > Overflow: '[number: 33994]'
> > __________________________________________________ __________________
> >
> > I am sure that there is no error in the new asp file as if i delete
> > any existing include file then no issues.
> >
> > This is dynamic include and currently we are loading around 800
> > include files.
> >
> > Is there any maximum limit for number of include files limitation in
> > ASP?
> >

> No, the problem is more likely an attempt in your include file to use an
> Integer when you should be using a Long. Go through the code, especially
> where any multiplication or addition occurs, and explicitly cast the
> variables involved in the calculations as Longs using the CLng function.
>
> Remember, the result of the addition or multiplication of two Integers is
> required to be an Integer (max 3267. If the result of the operation is
> greater than 32678, you get an overflow. For example:
> dim x, y, z
> x=2
> y=16997
> 'these are stored as Integer by default
> on error resume next
> response.write "Without CLng():<BR>"
> z=x*y
> if err<>0 then
> response.write err.description
> err.clear
> else
> response.write z
> end if
> response.write "<BR>Using CLng():<BR>"
> z=clng(x) * clng(y)
> if err<>0 then
> response.write err.description
> err.clear
> else
> response.write z
> end if
>
> In order to guarantee that vbscript reserves enough space for the result of
> the calculation, you need to cast the operands as Longs before performing
> the operation. This forces vbscript to reserve space in memory for a Long
> value instead of an Integer.
>
> HTH,
> Bob Barrows
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
> "NO SPAM"

Roland Hall

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
: Remember, the result of the addition or multiplication of two Integers is
: required to be an Integer (max 3267.

I thought a 16-bit integer signed value was between the range of -32768 and
+32767, unsigned 0-65535.
Jes' sayin'... (O:=

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Did I say 32678 ...? My bad.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Bob Barrows [MVP]

I don't think vbscript can supply an unsigned 16-bit integer ...

Roland Hall wrote:
> "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Remember, the result of the addition or multiplication of two
>> Integers is required to be an Integer (max 3267.

> I thought a 16-bit integer signed value was between the range of
> -32768 and +32767, unsigned 0-65535.
> Jes' sayin'... (O:=
>
> --
> Roland Hall
> /* This information is distributed in the hope that it will be
> useful, but without any warranty; without even the implied warranty
> of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. */
> WSH 5.6 Documentation -
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/list/webdev.asp MSDN Library -
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Yes, you already said erasing all the include files allows the new asp page
to run without error. That only means that there is no error in the new asp
file. That does not mean that the data from the new asp file is not causing
an overflow in one of the include files that is using its data.

You need to do some intensive debugging: First, find out which include file
causes the error. This means commenting out all calls to procedures in the
include files in the new asp file (allowing you to add all the include files
and run the new asp file without error). Then, uncomment the calls to the
included procedures until you find the one that causes the error.

Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts.

Bob Barrows
Sarath wrote:
> Thanks for quick response.
> I am sure that there is no error in the new asp file as if i delete
> any existing include file then no issues.
>
> More over there are no arithmetic operations in the include files.
>
> Thanks,
> Sarath
>
> "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Sarath wrote:
>>> I am working with an application using ASP, getting below error when
>>> i am trying to include new asp include file.
>>> __________________________________________________ ___________________
>>> Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0006'
>>> Overflow: '[number: 33994]'
>>> __________________________________________________ __________________
>>>
>>> I am sure that there is no error in the new asp file as if i delete
>>> any existing include file then no issues.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Roland Hall

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:I don't think vbscript can supply an unsigned 16-bit integer ...

I have no need for one anyway. (O:=

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Roland Hall

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: Did I say 32678 ...? My bad.

Don't worry about it. I read it as 32768 and didn't realize it until now.
I guess I was transposing. <plug>I spent an extra hour this morning working
out a solution for FF because it's easier than IE which was already
working.</plug> I also found what appears to be another 'standards' oops
but don't say anything.