Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP or ASP.NET?

ASP or ASP.NET?

Placek

Good Evening

I am a student studying Computing and I am just about to start on my
dissertation. I am keen to develop a website that queries data from a
database and I decided that I would do this in ASP. I bought a very good book
by Scott Micthell on ASP3.0 and researched into buying an operating system
with the latest version of IIS so I can build my application.

Then I started to read that ASP is a dead language, I also spoke to a friend
who pretty much confirmed the same. I told him about my dissertation and he
suggested that I do it in ASP.NET as it would be more beneficial to my
career. Is ASP really a dead language with the advent of ASP.NET?

Thanks in advance
Martin

Stefan Berglund

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:03:04 -0700, Placek
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
in <(E-Mail Removed)>

>Good Evening
>
>I am a student studying Computing and I am just about to start on my
>dissertation. I am keen to develop a website that queries data from a
>database and I decided that I would do this in ASP. I bought a very good book
>by Scott Micthell on ASP3.0 and researched into buying an operating system
>with the latest version of IIS so I can build my application.
>
>Then I started to read that ASP is a dead language, I also spoke to a friend
>who pretty much confirmed the same. I told him about my dissertation and he
>suggested that I do it in ASP.NET as it would be more beneficial to my
>career. Is ASP really a dead language with the advent of ASP.NET?
>
>Thanks in advance
>Martin

At least for the near term, hardly dead (but ageing gracefully) unless
you listen to the MS marketeers.

---
Stefan Berglund

Leon Langleyben

Hi Marteen,
I would have to agree with your friends. ASP gave us suitable solution
couple of years ago, but now ASP.NET is superior in any aspect from
performance to productivity. Do not consider using ASP for new projects. Let
him rest in peace.

--
Leon Langleyben
MCSD

"Placek" wrote:

> Good Evening
>
> I am a student studying Computing and I am just about to start on my
> dissertation. I am keen to develop a website that queries data from a
> database and I decided that I would do this in ASP. I bought a very good book
> by Scott Micthell on ASP3.0 and researched into buying an operating system
> with the latest version of IIS so I can build my application.
>
> Then I started to read that ASP is a dead language, I also spoke to a friend
> who pretty much confirmed the same. I told him about my dissertation and he
> suggested that I do it in ASP.NET as it would be more beneficial to my
> career. Is ASP really a dead language with the advent of ASP.NET?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Martin

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?UGxhY2Vr?= wrote on 17 jul 2005 in
> Good Evening

Depends on ones localisation, but to you too.

> I am a student studying Computing and I am just about to start on my
> dissertation. I am keen to develop a website that queries data from a
> database and I decided that I would do this in ASP. I bought a very
> good book by Scott Micthell on ASP3.0 and researched into buying an
> operating system with the latest version of IIS so I can build my
> application.

I don't know if that is a good book. Learning can very well be done
hands-on on the net.

If you have XP-professional you have both ASP and ASP.NET,
be it in a slim form.

> Then I started to read that ASP is a dead language,

Very wrong. ASP is NOT a language but a platform for languages, like
VBscript and J[ava]sctipt.

It is not dead either, and you will learn much more about programming
than the simplifications of asp.net, heavily pushed by MS, but wrongly
so, imho.

> I also spoke to a
> friend who pretty much confirmed the same. I told him about my
> dissertation and he suggested that I do it in ASP.NET as it would be
> more beneficial to my career.

I cannot see you can do a dissertation "in" a platform for computer
languages, or even "in" vbscript or jscript.

You could do a dissertation ABOUT ASP or ASP.NET or better still about
the differences and their viabilities.

However since your lack of understanding what ASP is, this will take a
steep learning curve.

> Is ASP really a dead language with the advent of ASP.NET?

Again, it is not a language, it's a platform.

Will ASP be "depricated"?
Not for years to come, I hope.

MS will not risk loozing the customers,
that are using ASP sites now,
and being frustrated with such platform euthanasia,
will therefore choose to take their business elsewhere.

I doubt asp.net will ever heve such a long live as asp..

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Leon Langleyben

Hi guys,
ASP had beautiful years with us. You are right, it is still alive. There is
enormous number of ASP based production systems out there. They will continue
to functional just fine for years (at least while install base of NT, XP, W2K
still exists). Nobody will rewrite or migrate those systems into ASP.NET.
Believe me, I gave ASP a lot of respect, and I have nothing to do with MS
marketing.

The question is not if ASP is dead or not, but what should you use today to
learn and develop new system. I totally disagree that you can learn more with
ASP then with ASP.NET. ASP is interpreted scripting environment. ASP.NET
technology based on well designed object oriented infrastructure. Since when
VB script is better then VB6?
And as we are talking about new application, it is all about performance,
scalability, security and developer productivity. ASP is better in all these
areas.

Best Regards,
Leon
--
Leon Langleyben
MCSD

"Evertjan." wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?UGxhY2Vr?= wrote on 17 jul 2005 in
> > Good Evening

> Depends on ones localisation, but to you too.
>
> > I am a student studying Computing and I am just about to start on my
> > dissertation. I am keen to develop a website that queries data from a
> > database and I decided that I would do this in ASP. I bought a very
> > good book by Scott Micthell on ASP3.0 and researched into buying an
> > operating system with the latest version of IIS so I can build my
> > application.

> I don't know if that is a good book. Learning can very well be done
> hands-on on the net.
>
> If you have XP-professional you have both ASP and ASP.NET,
> be it in a slim form.
>
> > Then I started to read that ASP is a dead language,

> Very wrong. ASP is NOT a language but a platform for languages, like
> VBscript and J[ava]sctipt.
>
> It is not dead either, and you will learn much more about programming
> than the simplifications of asp.net, heavily pushed by MS, but wrongly
> so, imho.
>
> > I also spoke to a
> > friend who pretty much confirmed the same. I told him about my
> > dissertation and he suggested that I do it in ASP.NET as it would be
> > more beneficial to my career.

> I cannot see you can do a dissertation "in" a platform for computer
> languages, or even "in" vbscript or jscript.
>
> You could do a dissertation ABOUT ASP or ASP.NET or better still about
> the differences and their viabilities.
>
> However since your lack of understanding what ASP is, this will take a
> steep learning curve.
>
> > Is ASP really a dead language with the advent of ASP.NET?

> Again, it is not a language, it's a platform.
>
> Will ASP be "depricated"?
> Not for years to come, I hope.
>
> MS will not risk loozing the customers,
> that are using ASP sites now,
> and being frustrated with such platform euthanasia,
> will therefore choose to take their business elsewhere.
>
> I doubt asp.net will ever heve such a long live as asp..
>
> > Thanks in advance
> > Martin

> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

Michael D. Kersey

Placek wrote:
> Good Evening
>
> I am a student studying Computing and I am just about to start on my
> dissertation. I am keen to develop a website that queries data from a
> database and I decided that I would do this in ASP. I bought a very good book
> by Scott Micthell on ASP3.0 and researched into buying an operating system
> with the latest version of IIS so I can build my application.
>
> Then I started to read that ASP is a dead language, I also spoke to a friend
> who pretty much confirmed the same. I told him about my dissertation and he
> suggested that I do it in ASP.NET as it would be more beneficial to my
> career. Is ASP really a dead language with the advent of ASP.NET?

I went to Google and typed in some file extensions:

Framework Extension Millions of hits
PHP .php 334
ASP .asp 334
C et al .cgi 106
ASP.NET .aspx 74
JSP .jsp 73
Perl .pl 71

So ASP is as dead as PHP (but not nearly as dead as ASP.NET)!)