Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: long-running background threads

Re: long-running background threads

David Browne

"Erik Sargent" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a very simple web app for displaying the status of a group of

doctors (available/not available) which,

.. . .
> When I debug, it works fine. When I make a request once per minute, it

works fine. Each change is logged and I >can pull up Windows explorer and
watch the log file's timestamp increment each minute. The problem is if
nothing >happens for several minutes - then it just seems to stop.

Have faith. Threads don't just stop. And what you're doing should work
fine.

Make sure that your Thread Proc has a catch block, and records any exception
in your log file.

void PollingThreadProc()
{
try
{
while (true)
{
Thread.Sleep(1000*60);
//do something
}

}
catch (Exception ex)
{
Trace.WriteLine("Polling thread terminating with exception");
Trace.WriteLine(ex.ToString());
throw;
}

}