Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Out Of Memory - What Memory?

Out Of Memory - What Memory?

MSUTech

Hello All,

I am getting an ASP error.. that tells the server it is OUT OF MEMORY.. then
the server displays a message about the DLLHOST.exe and it waits for an "OK"
from me... after hitting OK... it goes back to working fine.... BUT, while
the notification is up on the screen... the website is NOT AVAILABLE.... that
is the message that visitors get when they try to get to the website....

so, is there a way I can tell the system to SKIP the notification ... and
just restart the service..... ?

ALSO... What memory is the issue here... I am assuming this memory error is
coming from an INFINITE LOOP or something... from one of my ASP pages... so,
I would imagine the best move would be to get RID of the "On Error Resume
Next" code at the top of my pages.. to try and isolate the problem?

thanks...

any info that you can provide would be greatly appreciated...

--

Systems Programmer

Bob Barrows [MVP]

MSUTech wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am getting an ASP error.. that tells the server it is OUT OF
> MEMORY.. then the server displays a message about the DLLHOST.exe and
> it waits for an "OK" from me... after hitting OK... it goes back to
> working fine.... BUT, while the notification is up on the screen...
> the website is NOT AVAILABLE.... that is the message that visitors
> get when they try to get to the website....
>
> so, is there a way I can tell the system to SKIP the notification ...
> and just restart the service..... ?

Nope. Not that I'm aware of.

> ALSO... What memory is the issue here... I am assuming this memory
> error is coming from an INFINITE LOOP or something... from one of my
> ASP pages... so, I would imagine the best move would be to get RID of
> the "On Error Resume Next" code at the top of my pages.. to try and
> isolate the problem?

That would be a good thing to do. You should also check the IIS logs to see
what request was being worked on when the crash occurred. It will at least
help you concentrate on the correct page.

Go to www.iisfaq.com. They have some debugging tools that may prove usefull
(iisstate).

HTH,
Bob Barrows
PS. This newsgroup is deals mostly with programming issues. You may get more
useful answers about server problems from the .inetserver.iis newsgroup.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Curt_C [MVP]

MSUTech wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am getting an ASP error.. that tells the server it is OUT OF MEMORY.. then
> the server displays a message about the DLLHOST.exe and it waits for an "OK"
> from me... after hitting OK... it goes back to working fine.... BUT, while
> the notification is up on the screen... the website is NOT AVAILABLE.... that
> is the message that visitors get when they try to get to the website....
>
> so, is there a way I can tell the system to SKIP the notification ... and
> just restart the service..... ?
>
> ALSO... What memory is the issue here... I am assuming this memory error is
> coming from an INFINITE LOOP or something... from one of my ASP pages... so,
> I would imagine the best move would be to get RID of the "On Error Resume
> Next" code at the top of my pages.. to try and isolate the problem?
>
> thanks...
>
> any info that you can provide would be greatly appreciated...

What server OS are you running?
It's an IIS setting, not an ASP one by the way... you might want to hit
an IIS group, they could probably give you more pointers...

--
Curt Christianson
site: http://www.darkfalz.com

MSUTech

I am running Win 2000 Server...

I will go ahead and post this problem on that other newsgroup as well..

thanks...
--

Systems Programmer

"Curt_C [MVP]" wrote:

> MSUTech wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I am getting an ASP error.. that tells the server it is OUT OF MEMORY.. then
> > the server displays a message about the DLLHOST.exe and it waits for an "OK"
> > from me... after hitting OK... it goes back to working fine.... BUT, while
> > the notification is up on the screen... the website is NOT AVAILABLE.... that
> > is the message that visitors get when they try to get to the website....
> >
> > so, is there a way I can tell the system to SKIP the notification ... and
> > just restart the service..... ?
> >
> > ALSO... What memory is the issue here... I am assuming this memory error is
> > coming from an INFINITE LOOP or something... from one of my ASP pages... so,
> > I would imagine the best move would be to get RID of the "On Error Resume
> > Next" code at the top of my pages.. to try and isolate the problem?
> >
> > thanks...
> >
> > any info that you can provide would be greatly appreciated...
> >

> What server OS are you running?
> It's an IIS setting, not an ASP one by the way... you might want to hit
> an IIS group, they could probably give you more pointers...
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> site: http://www.darkfalz.com
> blog: http://blog.darkfalz.com

JitGanguly

Its definately due to infinite loop/ large recordset etc. Could you post your
code ?Remember you ASP app should always be statless
1.Open connection
2.Get data
3.Close connection

Post code, I will help you out