Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > System DSN Faster Than File DSN!

System DSN Faster Than File DSN!

Arpan

Microsoft, in one of its "Help & Support" pages on ADO, says that a
System DSN is three times faster than a File DSN. I find that a bit odd
for the simple reason that won't it be faster for a script to access a
file to get info about the database source than access the same info
from the registry which will be the case if a System DSN is used
instead of a File DSN?

I very well know that ultimately a DSN-less connection is the best!

I guess it isn't as simple as I think it out to be

Thanks,

Arpan

Jon

I presume a system DSN is "active" (so to speak) so the application can just
call the details, etc because they are readily available. meaning it won't
have to access the registry thus making faster than a file DSN.

Though this is just my theory!

--
Jon
Look at that dead pixel on your screen! *SLAP* Gotcha!

"Arpan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Microsoft, in one of its "Help & Support" pages on ADO, says that a
> System DSN is three times faster than a File DSN. I find that a bit odd
> for the simple reason that won't it be faster for a script to access a
> file to get info about the database source than access the same info
> from the registry which will be the case if a System DSN is used
> instead of a File DSN?
>
> I very well know that ultimately a DSN-less connection is the best!
>
> I guess it isn't as simple as I think it out to be
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arpan

Jon

Actually I'd be interested to read that article from MS because I cannot
find anything that suggest one is faster than the other. Here is an article
that explains the differences and perhaps favours file-DSNs due to there
portability
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...machinedsn.asp

--
Jon
(E-Mail Removed)
Look at that dead pixel on your screen! *SLAP* Gotcha!

"Arpan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Microsoft, in one of its "Help & Support" pages on ADO, says that a
> System DSN is three times faster than a File DSN. I find that a bit odd
> for the simple reason that won't it be faster for a script to access a
> file to get info about the database source than access the same info
> from the registry which will be the case if a System DSN is used
> instead of a File DSN?
>
> I very well know that ultimately a DSN-less connection is the best!
>
> I guess it isn't as simple as I think it out to be
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arpan

Ken Jenkins

http://www.powerasp.com/content/data...vs_dnsless.asp

http://www.powerasp.com/content/hint...ermissions.asp

http://support.cjwsoft.com/code/moreinfo9-1.htm

"Arpan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Microsoft, in one of its "Help & Support" pages on ADO, says that a
> System DSN is three times faster than a File DSN. I find that a bit odd
> for the simple reason that won't it be faster for a script to access a
> file to get info about the database source than access the same info
> from the registry which will be the case if a System DSN is used
> instead of a File DSN?
>
> I very well know that ultimately a DSN-less connection is the best!
>
> I guess it isn't as simple as I think it out to be
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arpan

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Arpan wrote:
> Microsoft, in one of its "Help & Support" pages on ADO, says that a
> System DSN is three times faster than a File DSN. I find that a bit
> odd for the simple reason that won't it be faster for a script to
> access a file to get info about the database source than access the
> same info from the registry which will be the case if a System DSN is
> used instead of a File DSN?

Much of the registry is cached in RAM, so the information is quickly
available.

> I very well know that ultimately a DSN-less connection is the best!
>
> I guess it isn't as simple as I think it out to be
>
> Thanks,

Use neither. Use OLE DB instead of ODBC (assuming a native OLE DB provider
is available for your database).

Many of the pages you will find on the MS Support site are in dire need of
revision.

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

larrybud2002@yahoo.com

> Many of the pages you will find on the MS Support site are in dire need of
> revision.
>
> Bob Barrows

Well, what the hell are you doing here?? Hop to it!!!

Arpan

Visit http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;258939 to
read the KB article Jon. It's the very 1st point listed under the topic
'Additional items to consider' in that article.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Regards,

Arpan

Jon wrote:
> Actually I'd be interested to read that article from MS because I cannot
> find anything that suggest one is faster than the other. Here is an article
> that explains the differences and perhaps favours file-DSNs due to there
> portability
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...machinedsn.asp
>
> --
> Jon
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Look at that dead pixel on your screen! *SLAP* Gotcha!
>
> "Arpan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Microsoft, in one of its "Help & Support" pages on ADO, says that a
> > System DSN is three times faster than a File DSN. I find that a bit odd
> > for the simple reason that won't it be faster for a script to access a
> > file to get info about the database source than access the same info
> > from the registry which will be the case if a System DSN is used
> > instead of a File DSN?
> >
> > I very well know that ultimately a DSN-less connection is the best!
> >
> > I guess it isn't as simple as I think it out to be
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Arpan

Jon

Ah hah! Thanks for the link. Interesting read though I'm presuming it only
applies to IIS. I cannot notice much difference on other servers. Though I
may just have not noticed and it may have been. I'll bear the info in mind.

--
Jon
(E-Mail Removed)
Look at that dead pixel on your screen! *SLAP* Gotcha!

"Arpan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Visit http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;258939 to
> read the KB article Jon. It's the very 1st point listed under the topic
> 'Additional items to consider' in that article.
>
> Thanks to everyone for their input.
>
> Regards,
>
> Arpan
>
> Jon wrote:
>> Actually I'd be interested to read that article from MS because I cannot
>> find anything that suggest one is faster than the other. Here is an
>> article
>> that explains the differences and perhaps favours file-DSNs due to there
>> portability
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...machinedsn.asp
>>
>> --
>> Jon
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>> Look at that dead pixel on your screen! *SLAP* Gotcha!
>>
>> "Arpan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> > Microsoft, in one of its "Help & Support" pages on ADO, says that a
>> > System DSN is three times faster than a File DSN. I find that a bit odd
>> > for the simple reason that won't it be faster for a script to access a
>> > file to get info about the database source than access the same info
>> > from the registry which will be the case if a System DSN is used
>> > instead of a File DSN?
>> >
>> > I very well know that ultimately a DSN-less connection is the best!
>> >
>> > I guess it isn't as simple as I think it out to be
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Arpan

Presumably an import is no faster or slower than opening a file? tinnews@isbd.co.uk Python 4 04-07-2008 01:05 PM
is using system stack (recursion) faster than using ArrayList? chucky Java 4 08-05-2007 08:21 PM
Using system DSN Raj ASP General 0 06-12-2007 12:22 AM
How to sign the System DSN kobzarev Java 4 12-04-2005 06:32 PM
FormsAuthentication system dsn odbc error Michael S. ASP .Net Security 3 01-06-2005 09:41 AM

Advertisments