Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Displaying Word Documents

Displaying Word Documents

Jason Steeves

Can someone please point me in the right direction for displaying word
documents onto a webpage? The word documents will contain
text/tables/pictures. I am new to this and can't quite find what I need.
Thanks,

Slim

"Jason Steeves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone please point me in the right direction for displaying word
> documents onto a webpage? The word documents will contain
> text/tables/pictures. I am new to this and can't quite find what I need.
> Thanks,

if you have a word document it can be displayed in the browser but simply by
typing in the address.

if you want to create one dynamically.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...p/vbob67ol.htm

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "=?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24gU3RlZXZlcw==?="
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:7D9C95A3-3D42-

> Can someone please point me in the right direction for displaying word
> documents onto a webpage? The word documents will contain
> text/tables/pictures. I am new to this and can't quite find what I need.
> Thanks,

It depends on the user having Word available, and the user allowing Word to
be displayed in the browser. For users who may not have Word, or may not
want it loaded in their browser, you should provide a link to the document.
Additionally, if the document is very important, I would also provide an
alternative, perhaps PDF and/or HTML.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Jason Steeves

Is there a way to read the document and then have an html version displayed
on the webpage? I need to read a basic text file and display that as the
header information and then need to read/display the word document
immediately underneath the header information. The word docs will have
tables/pictures and this is what's messing me up...............Thanks,

"Adrienne" wrote:

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "=?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24gU3RlZXZlcw==?="
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:7D9C95A3-3D42-
> (E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Can someone please point me in the right direction for displaying word
> > documents onto a webpage? The word documents will contain
> > text/tables/pictures. I am new to this and can't quite find what I need.
> > Thanks,

> It depends on the user having Word available, and the user allowing Word to
> be displayed in the browser. For users who may not have Word, or may not
> want it loaded in their browser, you should provide a link to the document.
> Additionally, if the document is very important, I would also provide an
> alternative, perhaps PDF and/or HTML.
>
> --
> Adrienne Boswell
> http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

groups1@rocketmonkeys.com

I've been looking for a way to do this too. I've seen suggestions to
use Word automation:
> Server.CreateObject(Word.Application)

But there's a lot of problems, since now winword.exe is running as
iusr_*. As soon as I try to open a doc (or create a new one) I get
"cannot open macro storage" since the user registry hive is not loaded
for the IUSR user. I don't yet know how to work around this. The
official MS line I've seen is "don't do this, office is not designed
for ASP use". Great.

I have similar needs; I need to be able to read the contents of a Word
..doc file from ASP. I don't care about images and tables like Jason
does, that may make it a bit harder.

So the question remains: is there a way to take a word .doc file and
either read the contents with ASP, or convert it to HTML?

PS. Please, no suggestions on adding response.addHeaders to open with
word on client side, or how to create. Those are great. Those are not
related.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I've been looking for a way to do this too. I've seen suggestions to
> use Word automation:
>> Server.CreateObject(Word.Application)

> But there's a lot of problems, since now winword.exe is running as
> iusr_*. As soon as I try to open a doc (or create a new one) I get
> "cannot open macro storage" since the user registry hive is not loaded
> for the IUSR user. I don't yet know how to work around this. The
> official MS line I've seen is "don't do this, office is not designed
> for ASP use". Great.

Are you thinking of this?

If so, look again - after disavowing any responsibility (don't call us if it
fails, blah blah) they do explain how to do it.

> I have similar needs; I need to be able to read the contents of a Word
> .doc file from ASP. I don't care about images and tables like Jason
> does, that may make it a bit harder.
>
> So the question remains: is there a way to take a word .doc file and
> either read the contents with ASP, or convert it to HTML?

None that I know of that do not involve using Word.

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

groups1@rocketmonkeys.com

You're right, it does explain how to run Office Automation server side.
I've got it temporarily working by change the IIS user to the
interactive user for a certain web application. Good for development,
but I'd want to explore the other options for deployment.

But I'm still left wondering... this is a basic thing. There are
plenty of options to write word files without office, without having to
do crazy server setup or things that are "not recommended" and error
prone. Are there really no good ways to read?

The INFO Bob linked to is a great start, but still begs that question.
It has an entire section labeled "Use Alternatives to Automation", and
seems like a good resource... excep that it does not seem to address in
the least reading a word file. I just can't accept the fact that
something so simple can be nearly impossible to do simply/correctly.
Anyone have a creative solution?

Gabor Lesko

Hey!
I'm new in this group, but I have almost the same problem.
I'm developing an ASP.NET appl. which Create a Word doc with using
Prim.Interop.Assemblyes.
The Word file contains pictures, and other data which were typed by the user
on a Web Page.
The end of the process the User can download the Word doc file from the
Web-page.

It's working but I don't know How the Word is working in a Multi-User
environment?
Maybe if 50 user (connected on the Web) try to make a Word Report, will 50
winword process start on the Server?

It is workable? Is this a good solution?

Please Help me!

Yours Sincerely,
Gabor Lesko from Hungary

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Gabor Lesko wrote:
> Hey!
> I'm new in this group, but I have almost the same problem.
> I'm developing an ASP.NET appl.

While you may be lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who
can
suggest

Bob Barrows

--