Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Hybrid File Upload/Form Data

Hybrid File Upload/Form Data

James

I have a form with a bunch of data that's input (dropdowns, textboxes, etc.)
and I have a link to a popup window which uses the persits control to upload
a file. They work well independently. The problem is, I now need to
combine them into one page. Essentially, at the very bottom of the page I
need to include a file browse control, then on the page that it posts to, I
need to be able to insert the relevant data into a database, as well as save
the file.

There has to be a way to do this easily, but I'm just confused about the
enctype="multipart/form-data" aspect and what I'll need to be wary of when
merging these two forms.

Thanks

Tim Slattery

"James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a form with a bunch of data that's input (dropdowns, textboxes, etc.)
>and I have a link to a popup window which uses the persits control to upload
>a file. They work well independently. The problem is, I now need to
>combine them into one page. Essentially, at the very bottom of the page I
>need to include a file browse control, then on the page that it posts to, I
>need to be able to insert the relevant data into a database, as well as save
>the file.
>
>There has to be a way to do this easily, but I'm just confused about the
>enctype="multipart/form-data" aspect and what I'll need to be wary of when
>merging these two forms.

It works fine. You receive a MIME-forrmatted blob that can be parsed
to yield the name and value of every form element, including the name
and contents of the uploaded file. There can even be several files.

You'll probably need a component to parse this out and return items
that your ASP code can use. Such things are available, do a Google
search.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a form with a bunch of data that's input (dropdowns, textboxes,
>etc.)
> and I have a link to a popup window which uses the persits control to
> upload
> a file. They work well independently. The problem is, I now need to
> combine them into one page. Essentially, at the very bottom of the page I
> need to include a file browse control, then on the page that it posts to,
> need to be able to insert the relevant data into a database, as well as
> save
> the file.
>
> There has to be a way to do this easily, but I'm just confused about the
> enctype="multipart/form-data" aspect and what I'll need to be wary of when
> merging these two forms.

Read the persists documentation - it should provide a detailed explanation
on how to handle this.

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...y/centers/iis/

Vic Sowers

news:OkDi$(E-Mail Removed)...

Actually Persits - www.persits.com

> --
> Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...y/centers/iis/
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> http://www.iistoolshed.com/ - tools, scripts, and utilities for running
> IIS

Bullschmidt

And here is a pure ASP (i.e. no components) resource for letting the
user upload a file (and get the values of form fields):

ASP File Upload Using VBScript by John R. Lewis - 7/10/2000
http://aspzone.com/posts/160.aspx

Best regards,
http://www.Bullschmidt.com