Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Dropdown on Textbox using ASP

Dropdown on Textbox using ASP

A P

Hi!

I have seen some techniques like this on the web. Currently, I'm using Combo
box which values came from database table. One disadvantage is when the
combo box have lots of values, users are complaining since you cannot use
keyboard to search the value that is needed. Hope you might help me.

regards,

Me

CJM

"A P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> I have seen some techniques like this on the web. Currently, I'm using
> Combo
> box which values came from database table. One disadvantage is when the
> combo box have lots of values, users are complaining since you cannot use
> keyboard to search the value that is needed. Hope you might help me.
>
> regards,
>
> Me

Use a <Select> tag as normal, but add a couple of event handlers in as
follows:

<select name="field1" onkeypress="listbox_onkeypress();"
onblur="listbox_onblur();">
<option>1</option>
<option>n</option>
</select>

Then bang the following script in to a .js file and link it in... and hey
presto... you have autocomplete functionality.

// Auto-select listbox

// This script and the listbox on this page illustrates one
// way to create an "auto-complete" listbox, where the

var toFind = ""; // Variable that acts as keyboard buffer
var timeoutID = ""; // Process id for timer (used when stopping
// the timeout)
timeoutInterval = 250; // Milliseconds. Shorten to cause keyboard
// buffer to be cleared faster
var timeoutCtr = 0; // Initialization of timer count down
var timeoutCtrLimit = 3 ; // Number of times to allow timer to count
// down
var oControl = ""; // Maintains a global reference to the
// control that the user is working with.

function listbox_onkeypress(){

// This function is called when the user presses a key while focus is in
// the listbox. It maintains the keyboard buffer.
// Each time the user presses a key, the timer is restarted.
// First, stop the previous timer; this function will restart it.
window.clearInterval(timeoutID)

// Which control raised the event? We'll need to know which control to
// set the selection in.
oControl = window.event.srcElement;

var keycode = window.event.keyCode;
if(keycode >= 32 ){
// What character did the user type?
var c = String.fromCharCode(keycode);
c = c.toUpperCase();
// Convert it to uppercase so that comparisons don't fail
toFind += c ; // Add to the keyboard buffer
find(); // Search the listbox
timeoutID = window.setInterval("idle()", timeoutInterval);
// Restart the timer
}
}

function listbox_onblur(){
// This function is called when the user leaves the listbox.

window.clearInterval(timeoutID);
resetToFind();
}

function idle(){
// This function is called if the timeout expires. If this is the
// third (by default) time that the idle function has been called,
// it stops the timer and clears the keyboard buffer

timeoutCtr += 1
if(timeoutCtr > timeoutCtrLimit){
resetToFind();
timeoutCtr = 0;
window.clearInterval(timeoutID);
}
}

function resetToFind(){
toFind = ""
}

function find(){
// Walk through the select list looking for a match

var allOptions = document.all.item(oControl.id);

for (i=0; i < allOptions.length; i++){
// Gets the next item from the listbox
nextOptionText = allOptions(i).text.toUpperCase();

// By default, the values in the listbox and as entered by the
// user are strings. This causes a string comparison to be made,
// which is not correct for numbers (1 < 11 < 2).
// The following lines coerce numbers into an (internal) number
// format so that the subsequent comparison is done as a
// number (1 < 2 < 11).

if(!isNaN(nextOptionText) && !isNaN(toFind) ){
nextOptionText *= 1; // coerce into number
toFind *= 1;
}

// Does the next item match exactly what the user typed?
if(toFind == nextOptionText){
// OK, we can stop at this option. Set focus here
oControl.selectedIndex = i;
window.event.returnValue = false;
break;
}

// If the string does not match exactly, find which two entries
// it should be between.
if(i < allOptions.length-1){

// If we are not yet at the last listbox item, see if the
// search string comes between the current entry and the next
// one. If so, place the selection there.

lookAheadOptionText = allOptions(i+1).text.toUpperCase() ;
if( (toFind > nextOptionText) &&
(toFind < lookAheadOptionText) ){
oControl.selectedIndex = i+1;
window.event.cancelBubble = true;
window.event.returnValue = false;
break;
} // if
} // if

else{

// If we are at the end of the entries and the search string
// is still higher than the entries, select the last entry

if(toFind > nextOptionText){
oControl.selectedIndex = allOptions.length-1 // stick it
// at the end
window.event.cancelBubble = true;
window.event.returnValue = false;
break;
} // if
} // else
} // for
} // function

Hope this helps...

Chris

Raymond D'Anjou

Looks nice CJM.
I had written something quick for a couple of my Combos but I'll take a
close look at your functions and may just integrate it in my pages.
Of course I'll give you full credit but no paycheck.
Thanks for the code.

"CJM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

> // it should be between.
> if(i < allOptions.length-1){
>
> // If we are not yet at the last listbox item, see if the
> // search string comes between the current entry and the next
> // one. If so, place the selection there.
>
> lookAheadOptionText = allOptions(i+1).text.toUpperCase() ;
> if( (toFind > nextOptionText) &&
> (toFind < lookAheadOptionText) ){
> oControl.selectedIndex = i+1;
> window.event.cancelBubble = true;
> window.event.returnValue = false;
> break;
> } // if
> } // if
>
> else{
>
> // If we are at the end of the entries and the search string
> // is still higher than the entries, select the last entry
>
> if(toFind > nextOptionText){
> oControl.selectedIndex = allOptions.length-1 // stick it

CJM

"Raymond D'Anjou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looks nice CJM.
> I had written something quick for a couple of my Combos but I'll take a
> close look at your functions and may just integrate it in my pages.
> Of course I'll give you full credit but no paycheck.
> Thanks for the code.

I'm afraid that I can't take the credit... it's a modified version of some
code found on the web, probably modified by a guy who also found it on the
web etc...

You'll probably find that Charles Babbage or Alan Turing wrote the first
version...!

A P

Hi CJM,

I have tried your code as is, I've just add values on the combo box. I
receive error message "Object Required" on the browser. Where does it
pertains to? I have paste the comple file:

<head>
<title>DropDown Link</title>
<script src="/js/autocomplete.js"></script>
</head>

<form method="GET" name="frmlink">
<select size="1" name="selectlink" onkeypress="listbox_onkeypress();"
onblur="listbox_onblur();">
<option>Select a Program</option>
<option value='/c.asp'>Components</option>
<option value='/me>ME</option>
</select>
</form>

Hope youmight help me.

Me

> [...]

> } // for
> } // function
>

> Hope this helps...
>
> Chris

CJM

"A P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi CJM,
>
> I have tried your code as is, I've just add values on the combo box. I
> receive error message "Object Required" on the browser. Where does it
> pertains to? I have paste the comple file:

> <head>
> <title>DropDown Link</title>
> <script src="/js/autocomplete.js"></script>
> </head>

> <form method="GET" name="frmlink">
> <select size="1" name="selectlink" onkeypress="listbox_onkeypress();"
> onblur="listbox_onblur();">
> <option>Select a Program</option>
> <option value='/c.asp'>Components</option>

I'm not great at debugging Javascript, but what that error message probably
means is that when your event handler calls a routine, it cant find it.

It could be that the functions are are called something slightly different,
or more likely that it can't find your JS file (so check the path).

One thing you might want to try is include the Javascript in your main file
(as opposed to an extrernal JS file).

Chris