Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > asp running program with wscript.shell

asp running program with wscript.shell

bbxrider

for win2k adv server/iis5.0
trying to run an external program from my asp routine that has multiple
parameters, see following

set shell = server.createobject("wscript.shell")
shell.Run """f:\phsData\htmldoc\htmldoc.exe"" --webpage -f phsnew.pdf
phsnew.htm"

program either doesn't get invoked, or has an error, but since it has no
error log i can't check that,
so not sure why not getting a result
i have run the program successfully from the command line in that directory,
so know it can be run in
the first place and the asp program creates and writes files in the same
directory so i don't think its a
permission problem. asp doesn't complain with any errors

so i'm stumped here and was hoping somebody can give an idea to check or
something

Sylvain Lafontaine

First, I would be very suspicious of the use of F:\ if it is a mapped
drive. Mapped drives are associated with a logon and will not be visible
from inside the ASP process and should be replaced with an UNC name.

Second, here a sample of the code that I'm using myself for running a
program with multiple parameters:

on error resume next
Application.Lock

CodeExit = wshShell.run ("""C:\Eval\EvEngine\RCTEvalTest.exe""
C:\EVAL\EvEngine assumption " & NomFichier & " " & NomFichierA, 0, true)

Application.UnLock
on error goto 0

If (CodeExit <> 0) Then
Response.Write "A nice error message goes here --"
end if

I don't remember the signification of the two parameters 0 and True that I
have put at the end of the call to Run() but maybe they are related to your
problem.

Another possibility would be to try running a .BAT file instead.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC

"bbxrider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> for win2k adv server/iis5.0
> trying to run an external program from my asp routine that has multiple
> parameters, see following
>
> set shell = server.createobject("wscript.shell")
> shell.Run """f:\phsData\htmldoc\htmldoc.exe"" --webpage -f phsnew.pdf
> phsnew.htm"
>
> program either doesn't get invoked, or has an error, but since it has no
> error log i can't check that,
> so not sure why not getting a result
> i have run the program successfully from the command line in that
> directory,
> so know it can be run in
> the first place and the asp program creates and writes files in the same
> directory so i don't think its a
> permission problem. asp doesn't complain with any errors
>
> so i'm stumped here and was hoping somebody can give an idea to check or
> something

bbxrider

thanks for reply
still not working, 'f' is not mapped, its logical, and i created a virtual
directory under iis, for the program directory, with exec privileges, so it
should have the necessary run permissionss.
i'm getting an error return code of 1 but not sure its telling anything
other than did not run
at this point i'm guessing its a command window problem, where its trying to
open a command line window but its not allowed when running asp files under
iis5.0 the '0' at end of parms is supposed to 'hide the window and activate
another window', i think its the 'another window' maybe the problem,
unfortunately all the other 'window style parameters' also try to do
something with a window, so starting to look like a dead end

"Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>