Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Can't connect to SQL Server, using Windows Authentication users of SQL server? help

Can't connect to SQL Server, using Windows Authentication users of SQL server? help

=?Utf-8?B?UmV6YQ==?=

Hello

I tried this friday, but didn't get anywhere so trying again
Basically, I have a fixed list of people that can access the application in the Intranet, and with the policy of the company the Users can be created only with Windows authentication in SQL Server - with SQL server authentication have no problem
So every time I try to connect get the error message, "Login failed for user, 'username'.
I have also tried windows authentication of .net with different setting, but still the same problem

A help would be greatly apreciated since I am stuck because of this

Thanks in advance
Reza

=?Utf-8?B?cmV6YQ==?=

I tested the user with domain and without domain, using osql, but same problem

----- Reza wrote: ----

Hello

I tried this friday, but didn't get anywhere so trying again
Basically, I have a fixed list of people that can access the application in the Intranet, and with the policy of the company the Users can be created only with Windows authentication in SQL Server - with SQL server authentication have no problem
So every time I try to connect get the error message, "Login failed for user, 'username'.
I have also tried windows authentication of .net with different setting, but still the same problem

A help would be greatly apreciated since I am stuck because of this

Thanks in advance
Reza

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

I apologize if I am getting too simple, but the background theory is
important.

There are two ways of connecting to SQL Server

1. Windows auth, which uses windows built-in security
2. Mixed mode, which uses a name/password combo in SQL Server

It sounds like you wish to use Windows auth, which is fine. The problem,
however, is the user logs into a web app as an anon user unless you force
authentication. The easiest way to do this is open the Internet Services
Manager and remove anonymous access. Now, you know who the user is and
everything works fine. Of course, this will also bring up a dialog box for a
user to log into windows for the web app.

ADDED INFO:
----------------
I just saw your OSql info in your followup. While it does not "change" the
above advice, there is one more component to consider and that is network
libraries. It is possible you are trying to connect with named pipes (top of
connection stack on both client and server). You may not even have the
TCP/IP network library installed (while not absolutely necessary, it
simplifies things tremendously).

You can check network libraries on the SQL Server machine by opening the
server network library tools. If you do not see TCP/IP, you should
"re-install" SQL Server and add the components. The installer should only
add the library, but I advise database backup any time you are tinking with
the server install utility. I have never had a problem here, but an ounce of
prevention is worth a pound of cure.

On the client, if you have SQL tools installed, you can check the network
libs as well. On both server and client, move TCP/IP to the top of the
stack.

If this still does not work, follow up with another post.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"Reza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I tried this friday, but didn't get anywhere so trying again.
> Basically, I have a fixed list of people that can access the application

in the Intranet, and with the policy of the company the Users can be created
only with Windows authentication in SQL Server - with SQL server
authentication have no problem.
> So every time I try to connect get the error message, "Login failed for

user, 'username'."
> I have also tried windows authentication of .net with different setting,

but still the same problem.

> A help would be greatly apreciated since I am stuck because of this,
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Reza

Carlos Barini

How are you doing the access rights to the users accounts?
Try to organize all the users accounts in one Global Group, and then give
SQL access to this group.

Carlos Barini.
MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDBA