Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Book Recommendation

Book Recommendation

Ed Randall

I found "Sams Teach Yourself Active Server Pages 3.0 in 21 Days
" and wonder if that would be a good book for a beginner. I don't have a
programming background and I guress 21 days could turn into weeks or even
months. Or is there something better for someone like me? Thanks for any
suggestions!

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Ed Randall wrote:
> I found "Sams Teach Yourself Active Server Pages 3.0 in 21 Days
> " and wonder if that would be a good book for a beginner. I don't
> have a programming background and I guress 21 days could turn into
> weeks or even months. Or is there something better for someone like
> me? Thanks for any suggestions!

Hire a consultant?

I've never read that book. My company paid for me to attend a course given
by Charles Carroll, which helped me quitte a bit, but I already had an
extensive VB background. For somebody with no programming experience, you
will have to judge whether or not it will be more expedient to hire a
programmer than take the months that will be required to learn it yourself.

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Ed Randall

At this point I'm afraid I wouldn't even be able to communicate effectively
with a professional programmer. I have heard stories from other people that
this is the crux of why so many projects never complete. After all, If I
can't even speak the language how could a programmer know what I want?

I think it would be better if I knew more before contacting a programmer.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ed Randall wrote:
> > I found "Sams Teach Yourself Active Server Pages 3.0 in 21 Days
> > " and wonder if that would be a good book for a beginner. I don't
> > have a programming background and I guress 21 days could turn into
> > weeks or even months. Or is there something better for someone like
> > me? Thanks for any suggestions!

> Hire a consultant?
>
> I've never read that book. My company paid for me to attend a course given
> by Charles Carroll, which helped me quitte a bit, but I already had an
> extensive VB background. For somebody with no programming experience, you
> will have to judge whether or not it will be more expedient to hire a
> programmer than take the months that will be required to learn it

yourself.

> Bob Barrows
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
> "NO SPAM"

Ed Randall

Job security?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ed Randall wrote:
>> I found "Sams Teach Yourself Active Server Pages 3.0 in 21 Days
>> " and wonder if that would be a good book for a beginner. I don't
>> have a programming background and I guress 21 days could turn into
>> weeks or even months. Or is there something better for someone like
>> me? Thanks for any suggestions!

> Hire a consultant?
>
> I've never read that book. My company paid for me to attend a course given
> by Charles Carroll, which helped me quitte a bit, but I already had an
> extensive VB background. For somebody with no programming experience, you
> will have to judge whether or not it will be more expedient to hire a
> programmer than take the months that will be required to learn it
> yourself.
>
> Bob Barrows
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
> "NO SPAM"

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Ed Randall wrote:
> Job security?

Huh? This seems like a non sequitor to me.

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET