Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > FileSystemObject On IIS

FileSystemObject On IIS

MDW

I'm not sure if this is a coding problem or an IIS settings problem.

I've enabled IIS on my local machine (Windows XP SP2) so I can do some ASP
development prior to rolling out my Web page to a hosting service like
Brinkster. I've never done that before.

I'm also trying to use the FileSystemObject to create a dynamic set of links
to all the HTML files within a folder, so that I don't have to keep adding
and removing links as my main content changes. I've never used FSO on a Web
site before.

Whenever the following code executes, the page doesn't load:

strPath = Server.MapPath(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO" ))

strPath = Left(strPath, InStrRev(strPath,"\"))

Response.Write strPath & "<br>"

Set objFolder = objFSO.OpenFolder(strPath)

Response.Write strPath & " has been opened"

Set objFolder = Nothing
Set objFSO = Nothing

I'm pretty sure it's the "objFSO.OpenFolder" command that's causing the page
to die - when I comment it out, the page loads fine. I'm fairly certain the
code is OK, but I'm not positive. Is there something I have to do differently
when I use FSO within ASP?

Or is it possible that I don't have my IIS configured correctly? Any
pointers on that? I know absolutely nothing about server setup.
--
Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!

Steven Burn

I wasn't aware there was an OpenFolder method for FSO?

Try changing;

Set objFolder = objFSO.OpenFolder(strPath)

To;

Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strPath)

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

"MDW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure if this is a coding problem or an IIS settings problem.
>
> I've enabled IIS on my local machine (Windows XP SP2) so I can do some ASP
> development prior to rolling out my Web page to a hosting service like
> Brinkster. I've never done that before.
>
> I'm also trying to use the FileSystemObject to create a dynamic set of links
> to all the HTML files within a folder, so that I don't have to keep adding
> and removing links as my main content changes. I've never used FSO on a Web
> site before.
>
> Whenever the following code executes, the page doesn't load:
>
> Set objFSO = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> strPath = Server.MapPath(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO" ))
>
> strPath = Left(strPath, InStrRev(strPath,"\"))
>
> Response.Write strPath & "<br>"
>
> Set objFolder = objFSO.OpenFolder(strPath)
>
> Response.Write strPath & " has been opened"
>
> Set objFolder = Nothing
> Set objFSO = Nothing
>
> I'm pretty sure it's the "objFSO.OpenFolder" command that's causing the page
> to die - when I comment it out, the page loads fine. I'm fairly certain the
> code is OK, but I'm not positive. Is there something I have to do differently
> when I use FSO within ASP?
>
> Or is it possible that I don't have my IIS configured correctly? Any
> pointers on that? I know absolutely nothing about server setup.
> --
> Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!

MDW

I believe that both syntaxes are valid.

But in either case, changing the method didn't help. It just sits there and
tries to load. If I let it sit there long enough, I'll get a "This page
cannot be displayed" error.

"Steven Burn" wrote:

> I wasn't aware there was an OpenFolder method for FSO?
>
> Try changing;
>
> Set objFolder = objFSO.OpenFolder(strPath)
>
> To;
>
> Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strPath)
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Steven Burn
> Ur I.T. Mate Group
> www.it-mate.co.uk
>
> Keeping it FREE!
>
> "MDW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm not sure if this is a coding problem or an IIS settings problem.
> >
> > I've enabled IIS on my local machine (Windows XP SP2) so I can do some ASP
> > development prior to rolling out my Web page to a hosting service like
> > Brinkster. I've never done that before.
> >
> > I'm also trying to use the FileSystemObject to create a dynamic set of links
> > to all the HTML files within a folder, so that I don't have to keep adding
> > and removing links as my main content changes. I've never used FSO on a Web
> > site before.
> >
> > Whenever the following code executes, the page doesn't load:
> >
> > Set objFSO = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> > strPath = Server.MapPath(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO" ))
> >
> > strPath = Left(strPath, InStrRev(strPath,"\"))
> >
> > Response.Write strPath & "<br>"
> >
> > Set objFolder = objFSO.OpenFolder(strPath)
> >
> > Response.Write strPath & " has been opened"
> >
> > Set objFolder = Nothing
> > Set objFSO = Nothing
> >
> > I'm pretty sure it's the "objFSO.OpenFolder" command that's causing the page
> > to die - when I comment it out, the page loads fine. I'm fairly certain the
> > code is OK, but I'm not positive. Is there something I have to do differently
> > when I use FSO within ASP?
> >
> > Or is it possible that I don't have my IIS configured correctly? Any
> > pointers on that? I know absolutely nothing about server setup.
> > --
> > Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!

Steven Burn

With OpenFolder I got;

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01b6'
Object doesn't support this property or method: 'OpenFolder'

With GetFolder I got;

[Path Removed]\misc\
[Path Removed]\misc\ has been opened

http://mysteryfcm.plus.com/misc/testfso.asp

Code I used:

http://mysteryfcm.plus.com/misc/testfso.asp?s=Show_Code

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

"MDW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I believe that both syntaxes are valid.
>
> But in either case, changing the method didn't help. It just sits there and
> tries to load. If I let it sit there long enough, I'll get a "This page
> cannot be displayed" error.
>
> "Steven Burn" wrote:
>
> > I wasn't aware there was an OpenFolder method for FSO?
> >
> > Try changing;
> >
> > Set objFolder = objFSO.OpenFolder(strPath)
> >
> > To;
> >
> > Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strPath)
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Steven Burn
> > Ur I.T. Mate Group
> > www.it-mate.co.uk
> >
> > Keeping it FREE!
> >
> > "MDW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I'm not sure if this is a coding problem or an IIS settings problem.
> > >
> > > I've enabled IIS on my local machine (Windows XP SP2) so I can do some ASP
> > > development prior to rolling out my Web page to a hosting service like
> > > Brinkster. I've never done that before.
> > >
> > > I'm also trying to use the FileSystemObject to create a dynamic set of links
> > > to all the HTML files within a folder, so that I don't have to keep adding
> > > and removing links as my main content changes. I've never used FSO on a Web
> > > site before.
> > >
> > > Whenever the following code executes, the page doesn't load:
> > >
> > > Set objFSO = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> > > strPath = Server.MapPath(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO" ))
> > >
> > > strPath = Left(strPath, InStrRev(strPath,"\"))
> > >
> > > Response.Write strPath & "<br>"
> > >
> > > Set objFolder = objFSO.OpenFolder(strPath)
> > >
> > > Response.Write strPath & " has been opened"
> > >
> > > Set objFolder = Nothing
> > > Set objFSO = Nothing
> > >
> > > I'm pretty sure it's the "objFSO.OpenFolder" command that's causing the page
> > > to die - when I comment it out, the page loads fine. I'm fairly certain the
> > > code is OK, but I'm not positive. Is there something I have to do differently
> > > when I use FSO within ASP?
> > >
> > > Or is it possible that I don't have my IIS configured correctly? Any
> > > pointers on that? I know absolutely nothing about server setup.
> > > --
> > > Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!

MDW

Well, OK so I need to use GetFOlder. But it still doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas if I need to change any IIS settings to get it to work right?

"Steven Burn" wrote:

> With OpenFolder I got;
>
> Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01b6'
> Object doesn't support this property or method: 'OpenFolder'
>
> With GetFolder I got;
>
> [Path Removed]\misc\
> [Path Removed]\misc\ has been opened
>
> http://mysteryfcm.plus.com/misc/testfso.asp
>
> Code I used:
>
> http://mysteryfcm.plus.com/misc/testfso.asp?s=Show_Code
>
> --
> Regards
>

> Steven Burn
> Ur I.T. Mate Group
> www.it-mate.co.uk
>
> Keeping it FREE!
>
> "MDW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I believe that both syntaxes are valid.
> >
> > But in either case, changing the method didn't help. It just sits there and
> > tries to load. If I let it sit there long enough, I'll get a "This page
> > cannot be displayed" error.
> >
> > "Steven Burn" wrote:
> >
> > > I wasn't aware there was an OpenFolder method for FSO?
> > >
> > > Try changing;
> > >
> > > Set objFolder = objFSO.OpenFolder(strPath)
> > >
> > > To;
> > >
> > > Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strPath)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Steven Burn
> > > Ur I.T. Mate Group
> > > www.it-mate.co.uk
> > >
> > > Keeping it FREE!

Steven Burn

Try enabling the error messages if you haven't already;

In IE;

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced (tab)

Untick "Show friendly HTTP error messages"

In IIS;

Home Directory (tab) > Configuration (button)

Click the Debugging tab, then place a tick in "Enable ASP server-side ascript debugging"

Under "Script Error Messages", select "Send detailed ASP error messages to client"

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

"MDW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, OK so I need to use GetFOlder. But it still doesn't seem to work.
>
> Any ideas if I need to change any IIS settings to get it to work right?
>
> "Steven Burn" wrote:
>
> > With OpenFolder I got;
> >
> > Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01b6'
> > Object doesn't support this property or method: 'OpenFolder'
> >
> > With GetFolder I got;
> >
> > [Path Removed]\misc\
> > [Path Removed]\misc\ has been opened
> >
> > http://mysteryfcm.plus.com/misc/testfso.asp
> >
> > Code I used:
> >
> > http://mysteryfcm.plus.com/misc/testfso.asp?s=Show_Code
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >

> > Steven Burn
> > Ur I.T. Mate Group
> > www.it-mate.co.uk
> >
> > Keeping it FREE!
> >
> > "MDW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I believe that both syntaxes are valid.
> > >
> > > But in either case, changing the method didn't help. It just sits there and
> > > tries to load. If I let it sit there long enough, I'll get a "This page
> > > cannot be displayed" error.

MDW

Well, I might have misspoken. It's been about 25 minutes, and I STILL can't
get the page to load, even to come up with an error. The progress bar is
about halfway, and it doesn't look like it's moving any farther.

"Steven Burn" wrote:

> Try enabling the error messages if you haven't already;
>
> In IE;
>
> Tools > Internet Options > Advanced (tab)
>
> Untick "Show friendly HTTP error messages"
>
> In IIS;
>
> Home Directory (tab) > Configuration (button)
>
> Click the Debugging tab, then place a tick in "Enable ASP server-side ascript debugging"
>
> Under "Script Error Messages", select "Send detailed ASP error messages to client"
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Steven Burn
> Ur I.T. Mate Group
> www.it-mate.co.uk
>
> Keeping it FREE!
>
> "MDW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Well, OK so I need to use GetFOlder. But it still doesn't seem to work.
> >
> > Any ideas if I need to change any IIS settings to get it to work right?
> >
> > "Steven Burn" wrote:
> >
> > > With OpenFolder I got;
> > >
> > > Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01b6'
> > > Object doesn't support this property or method: 'OpenFolder'
> > >
> > > With GetFolder I got;
> > >
> > > [Path Removed]\misc\
> > > [Path Removed]\misc\ has been opened
> > >
> > > http://mysteryfcm.plus.com/misc/testfso.asp
> > >
> > > Code I used:
> > >
> > > http://mysteryfcm.plus.com/misc/testfso.asp?s=Show_Code
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > >

> > > Steven Burn
> > > Ur I.T. Mate Group
> > > www.it-mate.co.uk
> > >
> > > Keeping it FREE!

Steven Burn

Bit of a long shot but, try checking the permissions for the folder your trying to access, and make sure you don't have any third party applications that could be blocking the script (e.g. Norton, Zone Alarm, WinPatrol, Spybot S&D, ScriptSentry etc etc etc)

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

"MDW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I might have misspoken. It's been about 25 minutes, and I STILL can't
> get the page to load, even to come up with an error. The progress bar is
> about halfway, and it doesn't look like it's moving any farther.
>
> "Steven Burn" wrote:
>
> > Try enabling the error messages if you haven't already;
> >
> > In IE;
> >
> > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced (tab)
> >
> > Untick "Show friendly HTTP error messages"
> >
> > In IIS;
> >
> > Home Directory (tab) > Configuration (button)
> >
> > Click the Debugging tab, then place a tick in "Enable ASP server-side ascript debugging"
> >
> > Under "Script Error Messages", select "Send detailed ASP error messages to client"
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Steven Burn
> > Ur I.T. Mate Group
> > www.it-mate.co.uk
> >
> > Keeping it FREE!
> >
> > "MDW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Well, OK so I need to use GetFOlder. But it still doesn't seem to work.
> > >
> > > Any ideas if I need to change any IIS settings to get it to work right?

Kyle Peterson

norton script blocking ?

its evil for asp

"MDW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I might have misspoken. It's been about 25 minutes, and I STILL
> can't
> get the page to load, even to come up with an error. The progress bar is
> about halfway, and it doesn't look like it's moving any farther.
>
> "Steven Burn" wrote:
>
>> Try enabling the error messages if you haven't already;
>>
>> In IE;
>>
>> Tools > Internet Options > Advanced (tab)
>>
>> Untick "Show friendly HTTP error messages"
>>
>> In IIS;
>>
>> Home Directory (tab) > Configuration (button)
>>
>> Click the Debugging tab, then place a tick in "Enable ASP server-side
>> ascript debugging"
>>
>> Under "Script Error Messages", select "Send detailed ASP error messages
>> to client"
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Steven Burn
>> Ur I.T. Mate Group
>> www.it-mate.co.uk
>>
>> Keeping it FREE!
>>
>> "MDW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Well, OK so I need to use GetFOlder. But it still doesn't seem to work.
>> >
>> > Any ideas if I need to change any IIS settings to get it to work right?

Steven Burn

Just an FYI, been sorting out my favourites and came accross this;

#2180 Why does FileSystemObject hang all of a sudden
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2180

ASPFAQ seems to be down atm (well, I can't get the page up atm here anyway) so if you have any problems, try viewing it later )

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group