Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > session state dies

session state dies

Dica

we've just set up a subdomain, 'demos' for one of our projects that normally
works fine. on the login page, if the user enters the correct username/pw,
we write session info and then response.redirect to the home page. this
works for on the normal site, but session state info is dying on the demo
subdomain. i'm sure the session info is being written since i can see it
when i response.write the value. also, the response.redirect uses a relative
path, so it's not that we're accidentally changing domains. any idea what's
happening?

tks

Mark Schupp

What OS?
Does it happen every time or erratically?
Is the home page in the same virtual directory as the login page? Same
folder? If in different folder, is one or the other inadvertently set to be
an application?

--
--Mark Schupp

"Dica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> we've just set up a subdomain, 'demos' for one of our projects that
> normally
> works fine. on the login page, if the user enters the correct username/pw,
> we write session info and then response.redirect to the home page. this
> works for on the normal site, but session state info is dying on the demo
> subdomain. i'm sure the session info is being written since i can see it
> when i response.write the value. also, the response.redirect uses a
> relative
> path, so it's not that we're accidentally changing domains. any idea
> what's
> happening?
>
> tks

Dica

"Mark Schupp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What OS?

windows 2000 advanced server
> Does it happen every time or erratically?

every time

> Is the home page in the same virtual directory as the login page?

yes

Same
> folder?

yes

If in different folder, is one or the other inadvertently set to be
> an application?

i thought there might have been a problem with one of the include files on
the login or home page killing the session objects, so i created a totally
new page without any includes and attempt to response.write the session
values, but 's still blank. new test page is in the same folder as the
login.

> --
> --Mark Schupp
>

> "Dica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > we've just set up a subdomain, 'demos' for one of our projects that
> > normally
> > works fine. on the login page, if the user enters the correct

username/pw,
> > we write session info and then response.redirect to the home page. this
> > works for on the normal site, but session state info is dying on the

demo
> > subdomain. i'm sure the session info is being written since i can see it
> > when i response.write the value. also, the response.redirect uses a
> > relative
> > path, so it's not that we're accidentally changing domains. any idea
> > what's
> > happening?
> >
> > tks

Mark Schupp

Have you worked through everything in this list:

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2157

Create a simple page that demonstrates the problem and list the code here.
Something like:

<%
If Trim(Session("myvar")) = "" Then
Response.Write "not here"
Session("myvar") = "i'm here"
Else
Response.Write "session var=" & session("myvar")
end If
%>

should change from "not here" to "i'm here" when refreshed. Does it?

--
Mark Schupp

"Dica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mark Schupp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > What OS?

> windows 2000 advanced server
> > Does it happen every time or erratically?

> every time
>
> > Is the home page in the same virtual directory as the login page?

> yes
>
> Same
> > folder?

> yes
>
> If in different folder, is one or the other inadvertently set to be
> > an application?

> i thought there might have been a problem with one of the include files on
> the login or home page killing the session objects, so i created a totally
> new page without any includes and attempt to response.write the session
> values, but 's still blank. new test page is in the same folder as the
> login.
>

> > --
> > --Mark Schupp
> >

> > "Dica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > we've just set up a subdomain, 'demos' for one of our projects that
> > > normally
> > > works fine. on the login page, if the user enters the correct

> username/pw,
> > > we write session info and then response.redirect to the home page.

this
> > > works for on the normal site, but session state info is dying on the

> demo
> > > subdomain. i'm sure the session info is being written since i can see

it
> > > when i response.write the value. also, the response.redirect uses a
> > > relative
> > > path, so it's not that we're accidentally changing domains. any idea
> > > what's
> > > happening?
> > >
> > > tks

Dica

"Mark Schupp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e0J6AW$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you worked through everything in this list:
>
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2157

thanks mark. your link led me to the problem - the subdomain has an
underscore character in it.