Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > long URLs

long URLs

David Shorthouse

Hey folks,

Is anyone aware of any sort of asp coding to deal with long URLs? I have a
few asp that pull URLs from fields within a MS db, which then display on a
width-limited table. Is there any way to wrap these long URLs such that my
table doesn't get widened? e.g. wrapping at "/" or something similar?

Thanks for any advice,

Dave
______________________________
Remove "_SPAM" to reply directly.

Drew

Maybe instead of showing the url, you can do this,

Would that work?

HTH,
Drew

"David Shorthouse" <davidshorthouse@shaw_SPAM.ca> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey folks,
>
> Is anyone aware of any sort of asp coding to deal with long URLs? I have a
> few asp that pull URLs from fields within a MS db, which then display on a
> width-limited table. Is there any way to wrap these long URLs such that my
> table doesn't get widened? e.g. wrapping at "/" or something similar?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Dave
> ______________________________
> Remove "_SPAM" to reply directly.

Drew

Sorry, my code is off... here is a correction,

There you go,
Drew

"Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Maybe instead of showing the url, you can do this,

> Would that work?
>
> HTH,
> Drew
>

> "David Shorthouse" <davidshorthouse@shaw_SPAM.ca> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> Is anyone aware of any sort of asp coding to deal with long URLs? I have
>> a few asp that pull URLs from fields within a MS db, which then display
>> on a width-limited table. Is there any way to wrap these long URLs such
>> that my table doesn't get widened? e.g. wrapping at "/" or something
>> similar?
>>
>> Thanks for any advice,
>>
>> Dave
>> ______________________________
>> Remove "_SPAM" to reply directly.

Kyle Peterson

You could do somethinguse the Left function to only show the 1st 25 or so
characters of the url.
But always put the full url in the href code for the link

%></a>

http://www.powerasp.com/content/new/...ference-46.htm

"David Shorthouse" <davidshorthouse@shaw_SPAM.ca> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey folks,
>
> Is anyone aware of any sort of asp coding to deal with long URLs? I have a
> few asp that pull URLs from fields within a MS db, which then display on a
> width-limited table. Is there any way to wrap these long URLs such that my
> table doesn't get widened? e.g. wrapping at "/" or something similar?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Dave
> ______________________________
> Remove "_SPAM" to reply directly.

David Shorthouse

Thanks for the idea. Well, yes, that would work but would mean someone
couldn't print the pages from their browser and be able to visit those URLs
unless I specified this differently in a print css.

Dave

--
______________________________
Remove "_SPAM" to reply directly.

> Sorry, my code is off... here is a correction,

> There you go,
> Drew
>

> "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Maybe instead of showing the url, you can do this,

>> Would that work?
>>
>> HTH,
>> Drew
>>

>> "David Shorthouse" <davidshorthouse@shaw_SPAM.ca> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hey folks,
>>>
>>> Is anyone aware of any sort of asp coding to deal with long URLs? I have
>>> a few asp that pull URLs from fields within a MS db, which then display
>>> on a width-limited table. Is there any way to wrap these long URLs such
>>> that my table doesn't get widened? e.g. wrapping at "/" or something
>>> similar?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice,
>>>
>>> Dave
>>> ______________________________
>>> Remove "_SPAM" to reply directly.

David Shorthouse

That's not a bad idea. Thanks.

Dave

--
______________________________
Remove "_SPAM" to reply directly.

"Kyle Peterson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You could do somethinguse the Left function to only show the 1st 25 or so
> characters of the url.
> But always put the full url in the href code for the link

> Left(CmdListInfo("URL").Value),25) %></a>
>
> http://www.powerasp.com/content/new/...ference-46.htm
>

> "David Shorthouse" <davidshorthouse@shaw_SPAM.ca> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> Is anyone aware of any sort of asp coding to deal with long URLs? I have
>> a few asp that pull URLs from fields within a MS db, which then display
>> on a width-limited table. Is there any way to wrap these long URLs such
>> that my table doesn't get widened? e.g. wrapping at "/" or something
>> similar?
>>
>> Thanks for any advice,
>>
>> Dave
>> ______________________________
>> Remove "_SPAM" to reply directly.

McKirahan

"David Shorthouse" <davidshorthouse@shaw_SPAM.ca> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey folks,
>
> Is anyone aware of any sort of asp coding to deal with long URLs? I have a
> few asp that pull URLs from fields within a MS db, which then display on a
> width-limited table. Is there any way to wrap these long URLs such that my
> table doesn't get widened? e.g. wrapping at "/" or something similar?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Dave

Perhaps (but doubtfully):

http://tinyurl.com/

"Are you sick of posting URLs in emails only to have it break when sent
causing the recipient to have to cut and paste it back together? Then you've
come to the right place. By entering in a URL in the text field below, we
will create a tiny URL that will not break in email postings and never
expires."

Thomas

well, if the url is very long anyway, who would type it of a printed
document?

a solution might be do use some sort of redirecting on your site, ie
when the user types in http://mysite.com/show.asp?id=123 he is being
forwarded (request.redirect) to
http://mysite.com/somethingverylong/...thsome=options...

- thomas