Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Netscape positioning problems

Netscape positioning problems

Sergey Poberezovskiy

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how do I position controls within
Netscape without using tables? Consider the following:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
.myDiv { display:inline; width:100px; }
</HEAD>
<input size="40" type="text"></td>
<input size="40" type="text">
</HTML>

My textBoxes are perfectly aligned in IE, but under
Netscape width attribute is just ingored.

Any help is much appreciated.

Peter Rilling

It might be better to ask this question in a Netscape specific newsgroup.

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:18f9101c44c3b$aedbd340$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me how do I position controls within
> Netscape without using tables? Consider the following:
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
> Transitional//EN">
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> .myDiv { display:inline; width:100px; }
> </HEAD>
> <input size="40" type="text"></td>
> <input size="40" type="text">
> </HTML>
>
> My textBoxes are perfectly aligned in IE, but under
> Netscape width attribute is just ingored.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.

Lau Lei Cheong

Quoted from design notes for "width" property in CSS:

Note in Netscape 4.0+:

This property does not work (properly) with inline elements, form
fields, images, and definition lists

You see that inline elements is not supported ,so you should probably use
the "table" solution.

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" <(E-Mail Removed)> ???
news:18f9101c44c3b$aedbd340$(E-Mail Removed) ???...
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me how do I position controls within
> Netscape without using tables? Consider the following:
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
> Transitional//EN">
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> .myDiv { display:inline; width:100px; }
> </HEAD>
> <input size="40" type="text"></td>
> <input size="40" type="text">
> </HTML>
>
> My textBoxes are perfectly aligned in IE, but under
> Netscape width attribute is just ingored.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.

John

To get netscape to recognise the width, apply css width to the textboxes
themselves, too. So if your textboxes were class="myDiv", they'd be 100px
wide.

-John

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:18f9101c44c3b$aedbd340$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me how do I position controls within
> Netscape without using tables? Consider the following:
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
> Transitional//EN">
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> .myDiv { display:inline; width:100px; }
> </HEAD>
> <input size="40" type="text"></td>
> <input size="40" type="text">
> </HTML>
>
> My textBoxes are perfectly aligned in IE, but under
> Netscape width attribute is just ingored.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.

Lau Lei Cheong

I think what the origional poster wants is something like to place tabstops
after the "field labels".

"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> bl
news:0tVwc.12842$(E-Mail Removed) g...
> To get netscape to recognise the width, apply css width to the textboxes
> themselves, too. So if your textboxes were class="myDiv", they'd be 100px
> wide.
>
> -John
>
> "Sergey Poberezovskiy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:18f9101c44c3b$aedbd340$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how do I position controls within
> > Netscape without using tables? Consider the following:
> >
> > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
> > Transitional//EN">
> > <HTML>
> > <HEAD>
> > .myDiv { display:inline; width:100px; }
> > </HEAD>
> > <input size="40" type="text"></td>
> > <input size="40" type="text">
> > </HTML>
> >
> > My textBoxes are perfectly aligned in IE, but under
> > Netscape width attribute is just ingored.
> >
> > Any help is much appreciated.

John

Aha - gotcha! I'll have to put my reading glasses on and my brain in, next
time. ;p

-John

news:(E-Mail Removed)...