Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Debug component used by ASA/ASP?

Debug component used by ASA/ASP?

Grant Schenck

Hello,

I built an MTA which is used from an ASA and ASP pages. The MTA was
developed in VC++ 6.0.

How would I go about debugging into the C++ code?

Thanks,

Grant Schenck

Mark Schupp

I presume that by MTA you mean a Server-side ActiveX component instantiated
from an ASP page.
Others may have a better approach but here is what I do. Requires that VC++
be installed on the test server.

Identify the process that the application is running in. Usually this
involves launching task manager. restarting IIS. noting the existing copies
of DLLHOST that are running. Launching your app and finding the new copy of
DLLHOST.

Right-click on the process that the app is running in and select "debug".
This will launch the VC++ debugger.

Open the source file you want to investigate and set a breakpoint (the
component will have to have been created at least once by an ASP page to set
the breakpoint).

Run the asp page that uses the method you are debugging. You should get a
break at your breakpoint.

--
Mark Schupp

"Grant Schenck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I built an MTA which is used from an ASA and ASP pages. The MTA was
> developed in VC++ 6.0.
>
> How would I go about debugging into the C++ code?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Grant Schenck

Grant Schenck

Hmm...

Yes, MTA is a server side ActiveX object created on my ASA page.

So, I tried what you suggested but couldn't seem to get it to work.

- What I did was started the PC.
- IIS starts running.
- Went to task manager and checked for dllhost. There were two.
- Did an IISRESET.
- No apparent change in the dllhosts.
- Tried attaching to both dllhosts and was able to but when I brought up my
source was unable to set breakpoints.

I also tried excersizing the control via an ASP page (in addition to the ASA
page) and still no apparent change in the dllhosts or my ability to set a
breakpoint in my source.

Thanks, Grant

"Mark Schupp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I presume that by MTA you mean a Server-side ActiveX component

instantiated
> from an ASP page.
> Others may have a better approach but here is what I do. Requires that

VC++
> be installed on the test server.
>
> Identify the process that the application is running in. Usually this
> involves launching task manager. restarting IIS. noting the existing

copies
> of DLLHOST that are running. Launching your app and finding the new copy

of
> DLLHOST.
>
> Right-click on the process that the app is running in and select "debug".
> This will launch the VC++ debugger.
>
> Open the source file you want to investigate and set a breakpoint (the
> component will have to have been created at least once by an ASP page to

set
> the breakpoint).
>
> Run the asp page that uses the method you are debugging. You should get a
> break at your breakpoint.
>
> --
> Mark Schupp
>
> "Grant Schenck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I built an MTA which is used from an ASA and ASP pages. The MTA was
> > developed in VC++ 6.0.
> >
> > How would I go about debugging into the C++ code?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Grant Schenck

Mark Schupp

After you launched the asp application was there a 3rd DLLHOST running?

If not the app may be running in the inetinfo process (application
protection set to "low"). If that is the case then debug the inetinfo
process.

--
Mark Schupp

"Grant Schenck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmm...
>
> Yes, MTA is a server side ActiveX object created on my ASA page.
>
> So, I tried what you suggested but couldn't seem to get it to work.
>
> - What I did was started the PC.
> - IIS starts running.
> - Went to task manager and checked for dllhost. There were two.
> - Did an IISRESET.
> - No apparent change in the dllhosts.
> - Tried attaching to both dllhosts and was able to but when I brought up

my
> source was unable to set breakpoints.
>
> I also tried excersizing the control via an ASP page (in addition to the

ASA
> page) and still no apparent change in the dllhosts or my ability to set a
> breakpoint in my source.
>
> Thanks, Grant
>
> "Mark Schupp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I presume that by MTA you mean a Server-side ActiveX component

> instantiated
> > from an ASP page.
> > Others may have a better approach but here is what I do. Requires that

> VC++
> > be installed on the test server.
> >
> > Identify the process that the application is running in. Usually this
> > involves launching task manager. restarting IIS. noting the existing

> copies
> > of DLLHOST that are running. Launching your app and finding the new copy

> of
> > DLLHOST.
> >
> > Right-click on the process that the app is running in and select

"debug".
> > This will launch the VC++ debugger.
> >
> > Open the source file you want to investigate and set a breakpoint (the
> > component will have to have been created at least once by an ASP page to

> set
> > the breakpoint).
> >
> > Run the asp page that uses the method you are debugging. You should get

> > break at your breakpoint.
> >
> > --
> > Mark Schupp
> >
> > "Grant Schenck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I built an MTA which is used from an ASA and ASP pages. The MTA was
> > > developed in VC++ 6.0.
> > >
> > > How would I go about debugging into the C++ code?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Grant Schenck

Grant Schenck

Odd... I have an inetinfo but I with that open in the debugger and my code
loaded, I still can't set a BP...

I'm running Windows 2003 if that is relevent.
--
Grant Schenck

"Mark Schupp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After you launched the asp application was there a 3rd DLLHOST running?
>
> If not the app may be running in the inetinfo process (application
> protection set to "low"). If that is the case then debug the inetinfo
> process.
>
> --
> Mark Schupp
>

> "Grant Schenck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hmm...
> >
> > Yes, MTA is a server side ActiveX object created on my ASA page.
> >
> > So, I tried what you suggested but couldn't seem to get it to work.
> >
> > - What I did was started the PC.
> > - IIS starts running.
> > - Went to task manager and checked for dllhost. There were two.
> > - Did an IISRESET.
> > - No apparent change in the dllhosts.
> > - Tried attaching to both dllhosts and was able to but when I brought up

> my
> > source was unable to set breakpoints.
> >
> > I also tried excersizing the control via an ASP page (in addition to the

> ASA
> > page) and still no apparent change in the dllhosts or my ability to set

> > breakpoint in my source.
> >
> > Thanks, Grant
> >
> > "Mark Schupp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I presume that by MTA you mean a Server-side ActiveX component

> > instantiated
> > > from an ASP page.
> > > Others may have a better approach but here is what I do. Requires that

> > VC++
> > > be installed on the test server.
> > >
> > > Identify the process that the application is running in. Usually this
> > > involves launching task manager. restarting IIS. noting the existing

> > copies
> > > of DLLHOST that are running. Launching your app and finding the new

copy
> > of
> > > DLLHOST.
> > >
> > > Right-click on the process that the app is running in and select

> "debug".
> > > This will launch the VC++ debugger.
> > >
> > > Open the source file you want to investigate and set a breakpoint (the
> > > component will have to have been created at least once by an ASP page

> > set
> > > the breakpoint).
> > >
> > > Run the asp page that uses the method you are debugging. You should

get
> > > break at your breakpoint.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mark Schupp
> > >
> > > "Grant Schenck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Mark Schupp

Does the output window in the debugger say that the symbols are loaded for
the DLL (you did compile in debug mode and register the debug copy of the
DLL)?

We do our development on Windows 2000 and XP Pro (just test on 2000, 2003
server) so I don't know if the OS has an effect.

--
--Mark Schupp
Head of Development