Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Detect Visitor's Town and Country

Reply
Thread Tools

Detect Visitor's Town and Country

 
 
Victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2005
I've been to a few websites where it displays the town, state (if USA),
country I'm browsing from. Now, I know that detecting country is easy, but
how do you determine the town?

What ASP components do this?

Thanks,

Bill.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Aaron [SQL Server MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2005
http://www.countryhawk.com/

--
This is my signature. It is a general reminder.
Please post DDL, sample data and desired results.
See http://www.aspfaq.com/5006 for info.

"Victor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been to a few websites where it displays the town, state (if USA),
> country I'm browsing from. Now, I know that detecting country is easy, but
> how do you determine the town?
>
> What ASP components do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill.
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evertjan.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2005
Victor wrote on 11 apr 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> I've been to a few websites where it displays the town, state (if
> USA), country I'm browsing from. Now, I know that detecting country is
> easy, but how do you determine the town?
>
> What ASP components do this?
>


You do not need a component,
just ask the user,
all other methods being incorrect more often than not.

Millions of users will vouch this code as being correct:

<%
a=7

if a<8 then
%>You live in the New York, NY<%
else
%>You are dead<%
end if

%>

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2005

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.countryhawk.com/
>


This does not detect town.




 
Reply With Quote
 
Victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2005

"Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9635D9B98948Feejj99@194.109.133.29...
> Victor wrote on 11 apr 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
>
> > I've been to a few websites where it displays the town, state (if
> > USA), country I'm browsing from. Now, I know that detecting country is
> > easy, but how do you determine the town?
> >
> > What ASP components do this?
> >

>
> You do not need a component,
> just ask the user,
> all other methods being incorrect more often than not.


This is for a password security system, to prevent re-use of passwords
issued to corporate accounts. So, asking the user kinda defeats the
security, don't you think?








 
Reply With Quote
 
Victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2005

"Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> there is no guaranteed way of doing this...
> Best you can do it get the users IP and do some geo-lookups but even these
> aren't accurate, they will only get you a location for the users ISP at
> best.....


That's the old way.

Most reverse DNSs now give you the domain not of the ISP, but of the user's
internet connection location to the ISP, which then needs to be decoded
(which is what I'm asking for) to give you the town.


>
> You may want to rethink what you are trying to do.,
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Site & Scripts: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>
>
> "Victor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've been to a few websites where it displays the town, state (if USA),
> > country I'm browsing from. Now, I know that detecting country is easy,

but
> > how do you determine the town?
> >
> > What ASP components do this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bill.
> >
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Evertjan.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2005
Victor wrote on 11 apr 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

>
> "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9635D9B98948Feejj99@194.109.133.29...
>> Victor wrote on 11 apr 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
>>
>> > I've been to a few websites where it displays the town, state (if
>> > USA), country I'm browsing from. Now, I know that detecting country is
>> > easy, but how do you determine the town?
>> >
>> > What ASP components do this?
>> >

>>
>> You do not need a component,
>> just ask the user,
>> all other methods being incorrect more often than not.

>
> This is for a password security system, to prevent re-use of passwords
> issued to corporate accounts. So, asking the user kinda defeats the
> security, don't you think?


You seem to have a strange sense of security,
trusting a virtual component like that.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Replace all crosses with dots in my emailaddress)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Aaron [SQL Server MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2005
> This is for a password security system, to prevent re-use of passwords
> issued to corporate accounts.


So if I sign on using AOL, and it says I am from Reston, VA instead of my
real hometown, suddenly I'm not allowed in? I'll have to echo Evertjan
here... that's a very peculiar security system. And I'll also echo Curt's
comments, that there is no reliable way to guarantee that the town reported
by geo-lookups is the town the user is really in. Even high-speed cable and
DSL services (Cox, SBC, RoadRunner, Verizon) can rotate your connection out
and unwittingly place you in a different town, even though you haven't gone
anywhere. With multiple data centers your connection could be routed
anywhere... especially with the bigger ISPs.

A


 
Reply With Quote
 
Victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2005

"Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9635DF4F9503Eeejj99@194.109.133.29...
> Victor wrote on 11 apr 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
>
> >
> > "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xns9635D9B98948Feejj99@194.109.133.29...
> >> Victor wrote on 11 apr 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> >>
> >> > I've been to a few websites where it displays the town, state (if
> >> > USA), country I'm browsing from. Now, I know that detecting country

is
> >> > easy, but how do you determine the town?
> >> >
> >> > What ASP components do this?
> >> >
> >>
> >> You do not need a component,
> >> just ask the user,
> >> all other methods being incorrect more often than not.

> >
> > This is for a password security system, to prevent re-use of passwords
> > issued to corporate accounts. So, asking the user kinda defeats the
> > security, don't you think?

>
> You seem to have a strange sense of security,
> trusting a virtual component like that.


you seemd to be pretty narrow minded, thinking that I don't have other
methods of security.




 
Reply With Quote
 
Victor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2005

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This is for a password security system, to prevent re-use of passwords
> > issued to corporate accounts.

>
> So if I sign on using AOL, and it says I am from Reston, VA instead of my
> real hometown, suddenly I'm not allowed in?


Again, you are thinking two years ago. More and more ISPs are giving you the
exact town in the reverse DNS. For example, Comcast Cable used to report
back only the location of network access. Now, it gives back the exact town
you're accessing the internet from. DSL lines, that two years ago used to
only show the location of the CO, now give you the town. Many dialups, like
AT&T will also give you a reverse DNS of your access phone number, which can
tell you the location. More and more ISPs are adopting this.

For example, I just found a component called Geobytes, which reports back
the user town and location. It also reports back any proxy types. So, if you
are using something like AOL dialup, then you are accessing thru a type of
proxy, and Geobytes reports this, so that I know the location data isn't
accurate, and I can hand-code the security properly.





 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
France - Belgium July 2008 Travel Pictures Country next to Country BoBi Digital Photography 0 07-19-2008 10:27 AM
Kenya-France July 2008 Travel Pictures Country next to Country BoBi Digital Photography 0 07-13-2008 06:55 AM
Kenya-Belgium June 2008 Travel Pictures Country next to Country BoBi Digital Photography 0 06-01-2008 03:12 PM
Country list with iso1366 codes and local country names Zyron HTML 2 11-08-2005 04:55 PM
Onchange of dropdownlist say "country" loaded,it must load all "states" for that country in another drop downlist. S.Guhananth ASP .Net 1 04-30-2005 12:01 PM



Advertisments