Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ado and xml?

ado and xml?

js

Hi, I have some questions about replace with mdb file with xml file:
Can I use ado and xml to store info instead of Ms access database, what
will be the diff?
can ado and xml support mult-user
Concurrent access? Thansk...

Bob Barrows [MVP]

js wrote:
> Hi, I have some questions about replace with mdb file with xml file:

Don't

> Can I use ado

ado is not needed to use xml

> and xml to store info instead of Ms access database,

Yes, but ....

> what will be the diff?

No referential integrity. No SQL language. No data constraints. xml is
simply a text file.

> can ado and xml support mult-user
> Concurrent access? Thansk...

No. You will wind up having to reinvent the wheel with your own code. it's
not worth it.

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

js

Thanks Bob,
"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote in message

>> can ado and xml support mult-user
>> Concurrent access? Thansk...

> No. You will wind up having to reinvent the wheel with your own code. it's
> not worth it.

I only have three fields(Email, Password, IP), I think it will simply to use
text file instead of a database. ado can use discount recordset to bind to a
extenal file, but I'm worry about the concurrent access problem? what happen
when more than 10 user access at the same time? Please help...

js

Thanks for the help,
Is it a sample teach how to save info to a file use ado?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are going to have 10+ users accessing this at the same exact moment
> you will not wany ANY file based storage, this includes MDB. You are going
> to have to look at an SQL type option.

js

Cool...

"dlbjr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Use the attached XML file and the following code.
> Do what ever you want with it.
>
> Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
> rs.Open "data.xml"
>
> 'Do What Ever
>
> rs.Save "data.xml",1
> Set rs = Nothing
>

> --
> dlbjr
> Pleading sagacious indoctrination!

js

is it this method only limit to 10+ users accessing this at the same exact
time? or not limit?

"dlbjr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Use the attached XML file and the following code.
> Do what ever you want with it.
>
> Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
> rs.Open "data.xml"
>
> 'Do What Ever
>
> rs.Save "data.xml",1
> Set rs = Nothing
>

> --
> dlbjr
> Pleading sagacious indoctrination!

dlbjr

Limit is not a problem.

For safety reasons just wrap any code reading, writing the data in
Application.Lock and Application.Unlock This will guarantee one operation at
a time.

--

dlbjr wrote:
> Limit is not a problem.
>
> For safety reasons just wrap any code reading, writing the data in
> Application.Lock and Application.Unlock This will guarantee one
> operation at a time.

You forgot that he had to spcify keeping the xml file in Application,
something that is not recommended for ado objects ....

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

js

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote in message news:u8f%
>> Limit is not a problem.
>>
>> For safety reasons just wrap any code reading, writing the data in
>> Application.Lock and Application.Unlock This will guarantee one
>> operation at a time.

> You forgot that he had to spcify keeping the xml file in Application,
> something that is not recommended for ado objects ....

Can you explain why the xml file is not recommended for ado objects? Thanks.

js

"dlbjr" wrote in message
> Limit is not a problem.
>
> For safety reasons just wrap any code reading, writing the data in
> Application.Lock and Application.Unlock This will guarantee one operation
> at a time.

What happen when someone is access the file and lock, and another is trying
to access it? Will line up? Thanks for the help...