Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP design question

Reply
Thread Tools

ASP design question

 
 
Roland Hall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-23-2005
If I wanted to write my own blog application, what functionality should it
contain?

TIA...

--
Roland Hall
/* This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability
or fitness for a particular purpose. */
Technet Script Center - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/
WSH 5.6 Documentation - http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/list/webdev.asp
MSDN Library - http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Aaron [SQL Server MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-23-2005
Most of the work for the functionality is admin, IMHO.

The necessary things client-facing should be:

- view posts (maybe broken down by topic area / author)
- view archives
- post comments (anonymous or register/login)
- subscribe to RSS

I built one last week that had the above functions, and it took all of two
days. Yes, there is existing software out there, but I prefer to have
ownership and design choices on the schema. I also don't like the learning
curve of someone else's software, if I can avoid it, and the ability to move
my software to another web server with minimal impact (e.g. uninstall and
reinstall some blogger crap) was pretty important.

Optional features include things like allowing users to pick frilly CSS
things like color scheme or even overall template style.

For the admin side, authors need to:

- create / edit posts (and this should automatically update the RSS feed...
you can have the RSS feed be dynamic, but I prefer to rebuild the XML file
whenever a change is made... this is much less taxing on the server)
- remove comments (I know, censorship is bad, but if anonymous posts are
allowed, they could be callous, slanderous, etc. depends on the type of
blog and whom it represents, I suppose)
- view statistics

--
Please post DDL, sample data and desired results.
See http://www.aspfaq.com/5006 for info.




"Roland Hall" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
news:OxJSKH$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I wanted to write my own blog application, what functionality should it
> contain?
>
> TIA...
>
> --
> Roland Hall
> /* This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
> without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability
> or fitness for a particular purpose. */
> Technet Script Center - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/
> WSH 5.6 Documentation -

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/list/webdev.asp
> MSDN Library - http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Roland Hall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2005
"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" wrote in message
news:ORd9Cr$(E-Mail Removed)...
: Most of the work for the functionality is admin, IMHO.
:
: The necessary things client-facing should be:
:
: - view posts (maybe broken down by topic area / author)
: - view archives
: - post comments (anonymous or register/login)
: - subscribe to RSS

I've seen some that end discussions and no longer allow posts. I've seen
some end after a few days. What do you think would be the reasoning for
ending a discussion that soon or at all? Unless the info is outdated, I'm
at a loss.

: I built one last week that had the above functions, and it took all of two
: days.

ASP/SQL? All SPs?

: Yes, there is existing software out there, but I prefer to have
: ownership and design choices on the schema.

I agree. Why be limited and why follow a design you may not agree with.
Then there are copyright issues.

: I also don't like the learning
: curve of someone else's software, if I can avoid it, and the ability to
move
: my software to another web server with minimal impact (e.g. uninstall and
: reinstall some blogger crap) was pretty important.

Did you add, or would it be advisable to add an index for new comments
within a certain time frame?

: Optional features include things like allowing users to pick frilly CSS
: things like color scheme or even overall template style.
:
: For the admin side, authors need to:
:
: - create / edit posts (and this should automatically update the RSS
feed...
: you can have the RSS feed be dynamic, but I prefer to rebuild the XML file
: whenever a change is made... this is much less taxing on the server)

Not ever having produced an RSS feed, I'll need to research.

: - remove comments (I know, censorship is bad, but if anonymous posts are
: allowed, they could be callous, slanderous, etc. depends on the type of
: blog and whom it represents, I suppose)

Should you require a registration to post?

: - view statistics

What statistical processing should be included?

: --
: Please post DDL, sample data and desired results.
: See http://www.aspfaq.com/5006 for info.

Not sure what at 5006 is relevant here.

Do you have a working example online?

--
Roland Hall
/* This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability
or fitness for a particular purpose. */
Technet Script Center - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/
WSH 5.6 Documentation - http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/list/webdev.asp
MSDN Library - http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp


 
Reply With Quote
 
Aaron [SQL Server MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2005
> What do you think would be the reasoning for
> ending a discussion that soon or at all?


- keep focus on current articles?
- keep the database small (e.g. delete comments for older articles)?

> ASP/SQL? All SPs?


Yes, about 80 lines of ASP/HTML code I think, and a half dozen stored
procedures. Mail me offline and I'll show you... I'm a little afraid of
what joe public will do to it, since I'm not exactly a fan favorite around
here. The admin side is a little more complex, but only because I'm an
overachiever.

> Did you add, or would it be advisable to add an index for new comments
> within a certain time frame?


I don't know what you mean. Comments are associated with a posting/article
whatever you want to call it, and are displayed after the article in either
ascending or descending order. So if you want to index performance, maybe
you have this:

CREATE TABLE dbo.BlogPosts
(
BlogPostID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED,
dt SMALLDATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT GETDATE(),
title VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
body TEXT
--, other columns yadda yadda
)
GO

CREATE INDEX dt ON dbo.BlogPosts(dt)
GO

CREATE TABLE dbo.BlogPostComments
(
BlogPostCommentID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED,
-- not necessary for the IDENTITY column, but makes it easier
-- from a management perspective, e.g. Delete comment x
BlogPostID INT NOT NULL
FOREIGN KEY REFERENCES dbo.BlogPosts(BlogPostID),
dt SMALLDATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT GETDATE()
--, name, email, body yadda yadda
)
GO

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX id_dt ON dbo.BlogPostComments
(
BlogPostID,
dt -- DESC if you want last comment listed first
)
GO

Now, you could get more complicated than that, for example you could show
replies in a threaded fashion like a newsgroup, so I could reply to a
comment and it would visually show me that I replied to the comment, not to
the original article. Most blogs, I think, don't require that level of
sophistication -- this can lead to recursive queries and poor performance if
the nesting gets too deep.

> Not ever having produced an RSS feed, I'll need to research.


It's really not a lot of work. Basically you just have an XML entry for
each post, or maybe your feed only shows the most recent 20 articles, or
only those that were posted or have comments that were posted in the last 3
days. It can be that dynamic and then some...

> Should you require a registration to post?


I think it's a bad idea, unless the user is really going to get something
out of registering. People tend to shy away from sites that require
registration.

Of course, if you don't have registration, there is no accountability, and
you will become a moderator / babysitter for those that can't keep their
temper in check or just like to cause problems.

> What statistical processing should be included?


I have article views by date range (e.g. What were the top 5 most popular
articles viewed this week), which articles have the most comments, the most
recent comments, etc.

> Not sure what at 5006 is relevant here.


That's just my signature in Outlook Express on my PC at work. (See the --,
that's a sig separator.)

--
Aaron

 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Burn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2005
> I'm a little afraid of what joe public will do to it,
> since I'm not exactly a fan favorite around here.


Tell em all to GFT!! <g>

Strange isn't it...... not a fan favourite, but when they need something, your site is most often the first one they go to \

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:BE677EF2.46D8%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > What do you think would be the reasoning for
> > ending a discussion that soon or at all?

>
> - keep focus on current articles?
> - keep the database small (e.g. delete comments for older articles)?
>
> > ASP/SQL? All SPs?

>
> Yes, about 80 lines of ASP/HTML code I think, and a half dozen stored
> procedures. Mail me offline and I'll show you... I'm a little afraid of
> what joe public will do to it, since I'm not exactly a fan favorite around
> here. The admin side is a little more complex, but only because I'm an
> overachiever.
>
> > Did you add, or would it be advisable to add an index for new comments
> > within a certain time frame?

>
> I don't know what you mean. Comments are associated with a posting/article
> whatever you want to call it, and are displayed after the article in either
> ascending or descending order. So if you want to index performance, maybe
> you have this:
>
> CREATE TABLE dbo.BlogPosts
> (
> BlogPostID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED,
> dt SMALLDATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT GETDATE(),
> title VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
> body TEXT
> --, other columns yadda yadda
> )
> GO
>
> CREATE INDEX dt ON dbo.BlogPosts(dt)
> GO
>
> CREATE TABLE dbo.BlogPostComments
> (
> BlogPostCommentID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED,
> -- not necessary for the IDENTITY column, but makes it easier
> -- from a management perspective, e.g. Delete comment x
> BlogPostID INT NOT NULL
> FOREIGN KEY REFERENCES dbo.BlogPosts(BlogPostID),
> dt SMALLDATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT GETDATE()
> --, name, email, body yadda yadda
> )
> GO
>
> CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX id_dt ON dbo.BlogPostComments
> (
> BlogPostID,
> dt -- DESC if you want last comment listed first
> )
> GO
>
> Now, you could get more complicated than that, for example you could show
> replies in a threaded fashion like a newsgroup, so I could reply to a
> comment and it would visually show me that I replied to the comment, not to
> the original article. Most blogs, I think, don't require that level of
> sophistication -- this can lead to recursive queries and poor performance if
> the nesting gets too deep.
>
> > Not ever having produced an RSS feed, I'll need to research.

>
> It's really not a lot of work. Basically you just have an XML entry for
> each post, or maybe your feed only shows the most recent 20 articles, or
> only those that were posted or have comments that were posted in the last 3
> days. It can be that dynamic and then some...
>
> > Should you require a registration to post?

>
> I think it's a bad idea, unless the user is really going to get something
> out of registering. People tend to shy away from sites that require
> registration.
>
> Of course, if you don't have registration, there is no accountability, and
> you will become a moderator / babysitter for those that can't keep their
> temper in check or just like to cause problems.
>
> > What statistical processing should be included?

>
> I have article views by date range (e.g. What were the top 5 most popular
> articles viewed this week), which articles have the most comments, the most
> recent comments, etc.
>
> > Not sure what at 5006 is relevant here.

>
> That's just my signature in Outlook Express on my PC at work. (See the --,
> that's a sig separator.)
>
> --
> Aaron
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
class design/ design pattern question Bartholomew Simpson C++ 2 06-12-2007 08:51 PM
Class design/design pattern resources TomTom MCSD 2 10-09-2004 07:38 AM
OO design in servlet design question dave Java 5 07-17-2004 12:58 PM
Xilinx Schematic design vs VHDL code design ZackS VHDL 5 07-09-2004 07:51 AM
Looking for help/resources on Writing a nice detailed design / tech design for vb.net code SpamProof Java 3 12-01-2003 06:06 AM



Advertisments