Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How to use different sites in IIS on WinXP Pro

How to use different sites in IIS on WinXP Pro

Astra

Hi All

Probably way off the mark here, but I have IIS running on my WinXP machine
and I thought I could host multiple domains over the old Win98 method where
I could only have the one?

All I can see at the moment is that I have a Default Web Site, which is
associated to MyPC, and all I can create is virtual directories/folders
within this default location. This means that instead of me being able to
create the desired effect of:

http://mydomain1.com
http://mydomain2.com
etc

All I can create is:

http://myPC/mydomain1
http://myPC/mydomain2
etc

The reason why I want the former is that I'm developing a site where the
http and https bits are on completely different servers, so for my local dev
I want the 2 parts of my site to be on separate local domains.

At the moment, I'm having to use 2 WinXP machines running IIS so that I can
put the http stuff on http://MyPC1 and the https on http://MyPC2 .

I'm sure I can use multiple domains on the same IIS machine, as how do all
these ISPs do it?!?!?!?

Any pointers you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Rgds

Robbie

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

> Probably way off the mark here, but I have IIS running on my WinXP machine
> and I thought I could host multiple domains over the old Win98 method where
> I could only have the one?

No, XP has the same limitations. It's still a desktop operating system, not
a server. You might be able to try the workaround mentioned here:
http://www.aspfaq.com/2056

> I'm sure I can use multiple domains on the same IIS machine, as how do all
> these ISPs do it?!?!?!?

They use Windows Server, not a desktop operating system.

Astra

Thanks for the info.

Rgds Robbie

news:BE65769F.431F%(E-Mail Removed)...