Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Call php/mysql database from ASP

Call php/mysql database from ASP

John

First I'll answer "why". Because, while SQL Server is available, it is also
"expensive". MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.

Is there a way to add, update, retrieve, and delete data from a MySQL DB via
php (or ASP for that matter) back into ASP? Could someone create a basic
script to look at so I could see how?

I hope there is a way to do this. Wouldn't it be advantageous for MS to do
this or to make it easy to do so to be more competitive?

Thanks!

Steven Burn

I doubt it........ why not just stick with one or the other instead of both?

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fTl%d.145961$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> First I'll answer "why". Because, while SQL Server is available, it is also
> "expensive". MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.
>
> Is there a way to add, update, retrieve, and delete data from a MySQL DB via
> php (or ASP for that matter) back into ASP? Could someone create a basic
> script to look at so I could see how?
>
> I hope there is a way to do this. Wouldn't it be advantageous for MS to do
> this or to make it easy to do so to be more competitive?
>
> Thanks!

John

I've never done much with php and it means learning all that just to get to
MySQL. Man, what a pain. SQL server ain't cheap and the little guy gets
forced out and that sucks. MySQL is free! So, does MS really want me to
move to php?

"Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I doubt it........ why not just stick with one or the other instead of both?

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

news:fTl%d.145961$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> First I'll answer "why". Because, while SQL Server is available, it is

also
> "expensive". MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.
>
> Is there a way to add, update, retrieve, and delete data from a MySQL DB

via
> php (or ASP for that matter) back into ASP? Could someone create a basic
> script to look at so I could see how?
>
> I hope there is a way to do this. Wouldn't it be advantageous for MS to

do
> this or to make it easy to do so to be more competitive?
>
> Thanks!

Steven Burn

MySQL also works with PHP though....... (neither of which are Microsoft applications, so blaming Microsoft isn't really fair ;o)).

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:N%l%d.146026$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I've never done much with php and it means learning all that just to get to
> MySQL. Man, what a pain. SQL server ain't cheap and the little guy gets
> forced out and that sucks. MySQL is free! So, does MS really want me to
> move to php?
>

> "Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I doubt it........ why not just stick with one or the other instead of both?
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Steven Burn
> Ur I.T. Mate Group
> www.it-mate.co.uk
>
> Keeping it FREE!

> news:fTl%d.145961$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > First I'll answer "why". Because, while SQL Server is available, it is

> also
> > "expensive". MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.
> >
> > Is there a way to add, update, retrieve, and delete data from a MySQL DB

> via
> > php (or ASP for that matter) back into ASP? Could someone create a basic
> > script to look at so I could see how?
> >
> > I hope there is a way to do this. Wouldn't it be advantageous for MS to

> do
> > this or to make it easy to do so to be more competitive?
> >
> > Thanks!

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

> I've never done much with php and it means learning all that just to get
> MySQL.

What? Why can't ASP connect to MySQL?

http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/M....msi/from/pick

connStr = "DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};" +
"SERVER=?;" +
"DATABASE=?;" +
"UID=?;" +
"PASSWORD=?;" +
"OPTION=3";

They used to support an OLEDB interface using MyOLEDB, but this has
disappeared from their web site.

> MySQL is free!

Yep, but you often get what you pay for.

> So, does MS really want me to
> move to php?

Maybe, but if you can't see the benefits of using a trusted commercial
application over an open source job... well...

--
Please post DDL, sample data and desired results.
See http://www.aspfaq.com/5006 for info.

Bob Lehmann

> MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.
Wrong on both counts. Also, MSDE is free - as in free beer.

> Is there a way to add, update, retrieve, and delete data from a MySQL DB

via php
DUH!

>(or ASP for that matter)

Yes.

>back into ASP?

WTF does that mean?

> I hope there is a way to do this.

There is.

>Wouldn't it be advantageous for MS to do this

Why? Others are doing it for them -
http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/ASP/U...abase-Via-ASP/
Do you think it would be advantageous for Ford to make their cars so Toyota
parts could be used in them?

>or to make it easy to do so to be more competitive?

Uh, yeah. See above re:Ford parts.

Instead of being a whiny moron, why don't you do a little research before
taking your boo-hoo, misinformed rants public?

Bob Lehmann

news:fTl%d.145961$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> First I'll answer "why". Because, while SQL Server is available, it is

also
> "expensive". MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.
>
> Is there a way to add, update, retrieve, and delete data from a MySQL DB

via
> php (or ASP for that matter) back into ASP? Could someone create a basic
> script to look at so I could see how?
>
> I hope there is a way to do this. Wouldn't it be advantageous for MS to

do
> this or to make it easy to do so to be more competitive?
>
> Thanks!

John

Very professional Bob. Certainly you represent Microsoft, yes? Come on,
treating me like an idiot only makes you look like one. Do me a favor and
DON'T ANSWER MY POSTS, ok you miserable bastard? Thanks.

"Bob Lehmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.

> Wrong on both counts. Also, MSDE is free - as in free beer.
>
> > Is there a way to add, update, retrieve, and delete data from a MySQL DB

> via php
> DUH!
>
> >(or ASP for that matter)

> Yes.
>
> >back into ASP?

> WTF does that mean?
>
> > I hope there is a way to do this.

> There is.
>
> >Wouldn't it be advantageous for MS to do this

> Why? Others are doing it for them -

http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/ASP/U...abase-Via-ASP/
> Do you think it would be advantageous for Ford to make their cars so

Toyota
> parts could be used in them?
>
> >or to make it easy to do so to be more competitive?

> Uh, yeah. See above re:Ford parts.
>
> Instead of being a whiny moron, why don't you do a little research before
> taking your boo-hoo, misinformed rants public?
>
> Bob Lehmann

> news:fTl%d.145961$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > First I'll answer "why". Because, while SQL Server is available, it is

> also
> > "expensive". MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.
> >
> > Is there a way to add, update, retrieve, and delete data from a MySQL DB

> via
> > php (or ASP for that matter) back into ASP? Could someone create a

basic
> > script to look at so I could see how?
> >
> > I hope there is a way to do this. Wouldn't it be advantageous for MS to

> do
> > this or to make it easy to do so to be more competitive?
> >
> > Thanks!

Stefan Berglund

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:34:37 GMT, "John"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
in <N%l%d.146026$(E-Mail Removed)>

>I've never done much with php and it means learning all that just to get to
>MySQL. Man, what a pain. SQL server ain't cheap and the little guy gets
>forced out and that sucks. MySQL is free! So, does MS really want me to
>move to php?

Actually John, to be brutally honest, MS could care less whether you
move or not. Basically, you represent an invisible dot on their
massive radar. If you represented several hundred thousand seats
then perhaps you'd be significant, but realistically you're off the
end of their chart in terms of significance.

Therefore, whether or not you move to some other RDBMS or not is
entirely up to you. In other words, if you feel that the move to
MySQL is worthwhile then please proceed.

I'm certain that you're very important wherever you are, but
unfortunately, unless the size of your organization (please
translate to equivalent number of seats) is above and beyond their
thresholds, then you're really nothing more than a nuisance to them.

Oh and BTW, MySQL compares rather poorly to MSSQL.

---
Stefan Berglund

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

> MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.

Yeah, and it only took them 10 years to figure out what stored procedures,
transactions and foreign keys are. These baseline features in a regular
RDBMS are in their infancy in your so-called robust choice.

BTW, MSDE is FREE and only has a few limitations compared to the regular
version of SQL Server (and 90%+ don't hit any of these limitations). SQL
Server Express has a very similar story.

> via php (or ASP for that matter) back into ASP?

I have absolutely no idea what you mean. I sent you a connection string for
MySQL from ASP earlier, so you connect with that, then conn.execute("sql
statement").

Or, if you trust this fandangled new "stored procedure" feature that MySQL
is the first to offer, you might consider calling stored procedures from ASP
instead of using ad hoc queries - several advantages to that, as I'm sure
you're already aware.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

> Oh and BTW, MySQL compares rather poorly to MSSQL.

In fact, MSDE (and later SQL Server 2005 Express) is a viable and *FREE*
alternative to MySQL.

No PHP knowledge or configuration required in either case, of course.