Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP Generated Email Problem

ASP Generated Email Problem

Andrew J

Hi all
Would really appreciate if someone can help mi with a problem I've been
having with ASP generated emails. In fact, this might be a question more
related to Outlook than ASP, but in any case I would appreciate if someone
could help me to resolve it.
This is what happens - I have a simple little Order form on our Intranet
site which is filled out by our employees (who are logged on to the local
network) and once submitted, the ASP code behind generates an email sent to
our supplier. The email body is in HTML format and it contains some Images
which are physically located on the same Web server that generates that
email. The problem is that our supplier, who is outside our network, and who
is using Outlook 2000 as their mail client, cannot see any images in the
email body. I am wondering why is this happening, are all images just
referenced in the email, or they are actually embedded (which I think they
are not). In this case, is there a way to actually embedd an image instead of
just referencing it, but the email format must be HTML.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Boris

Jason Brown [MSFT]

they'd be referenced. your email component most likely will not embed them.

if the web server is viewable to the outside world, use their full
(http://www.server.com/image.jpg) URL

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

rights.

"Andrew J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
> Would really appreciate if someone can help mi with a problem I've been
> having with ASP generated emails. In fact, this might be a question more
> related to Outlook than ASP, but in any case I would appreciate if someone
> could help me to resolve it.
> This is what happens - I have a simple little Order form on our Intranet
> site which is filled out by our employees (who are logged on to the local
> network) and once submitted, the ASP code behind generates an email sent
> our supplier. The email body is in HTML format and it contains some Images
> which are physically located on the same Web server that generates that
> email. The problem is that our supplier, who is outside our network, and
> who
> is using Outlook 2000 as their mail client, cannot see any images in the
> email body. I am wondering why is this happening, are all images just
> referenced in the email, or they are actually embedded (which I think they
> are not). In this case, is there a way to actually embedd an image instead
> of
> just referencing it, but the email format must be HTML.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Boris

Andrew J

Unfortunately my web server is not accessible by the outside world...is there
anything I can do to make images visibel to them?

"Jason Brown [MSFT]" wrote:

> they'd be referenced. your email component most likely will not embed them.
>
> if the web server is viewable to the outside world, use their full
> (http://www.server.com/image.jpg) URL
>

> --
> Jason Brown
> Microsoft GTSC, IIS

> rights.
>

> "Andrew J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all
> > Would really appreciate if someone can help mi with a problem I've been
> > having with ASP generated emails. In fact, this might be a question more
> > related to Outlook than ASP, but in any case I would appreciate if someone
> > could help me to resolve it.
> > This is what happens - I have a simple little Order form on our Intranet
> > site which is filled out by our employees (who are logged on to the local
> > network) and once submitted, the ASP code behind generates an email sent
> > our supplier. The email body is in HTML format and it contains some Images
> > which are physically located on the same Web server that generates that
> > email. The problem is that our supplier, who is outside our network, and
> > who
> > is using Outlook 2000 as their mail client, cannot see any images in the
> > email body. I am wondering why is this happening, are all images just
> > referenced in the email, or they are actually embedded (which I think they
> > are not). In this case, is there a way to actually embedd an image instead
> > of
> > just referencing it, but the email format must be HTML.
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Boris

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Walk through http://www.aspfaq.com/2474