Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Schuedule triggering

Schuedule triggering

Benny

Is there a way I can call VB.net code from a stored procedure? I need to
schedule a sql job (stored procedure) and in the logic of the stored
procedure, I need to call vb.net code to generate a pdf document.

Your support will very much helpful Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Benny

Jason Brown [MSFT]

Yes, there's an extended stored proc called (IIRC) xp_cmdshell which can
call external code, though there are ome caveats on its use which you should
be able to find in the SQL documentation

there's also a way of instantiating COM objects from SQL with another XSP,
the name of which has totally escaped me - I'll look it up shortly.

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

"Benny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way I can call VB.net code from a stored procedure? I need to
> schedule a sql job (stored procedure) and in the logic of the stored
> procedure, I need to call vb.net code to generate a pdf document.
>
> Your support will very much helpful Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Benny

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

sp_OACreate, etc. I give examples of using them to create a CDO.Message
object in http://www.aspfaq.com/2403

Not exactly the best use of resources, FWIW. Some insiders (e.g. Euan) have
alluded to some serious memory issues with some of these tools. Besides,
sp_OA* are for instantiating regular old COM objects, not .NET. I think the
OP will have to go the route of xp_cmdshell and all the security
implications that come with it.

On 3/8/05 9:57 PM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), "Jason
Brown [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yes, there's an extended stored proc called (IIRC) xp_cmdshell which can
> call external code, though there are ome caveats on its use which you should
> be able to find in the SQL documentation
>
> there's also a way of instantiating COM objects from SQL with another XSP,
> the name of which has totally escaped me - I'll look it up shortly.

Jason Brown [MSFT]

Thanks Aaron

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BE53E833.250E%(E-Mail Removed)...
> sp_OACreate, etc. I give examples of using them to create a CDO.Message
> object in http://www.aspfaq.com/2403
>
> Not exactly the best use of resources, FWIW. Some insiders (e.g. Euan)
> have
> alluded to some serious memory issues with some of these tools. Besides,
> sp_OA* are for instantiating regular old COM objects, not .NET. I think
> the
> OP will have to go the route of xp_cmdshell and all the security
> implications that come with it.
>

> On 3/8/05 9:57 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed),
> "Jason
> Brown [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Yes, there's an extended stored proc called (IIRC) xp_cmdshell which can
>> call external code, though there are ome caveats on its use which you
>> should
>> be able to find in the SQL documentation
>>
>> there's also a way of instantiating COM objects from SQL with another
>> XSP,
>> the name of which has totally escaped me - I'll look it up shortly.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

> Is there a way I can call VB.net code from a stored procedure? I need to
> schedule a sql job (stored procedure) and in the logic of the stored
> procedure, I need to call vb.net code to generate a pdf document.

Have you considered going the other way? Have the stored procedure log an
entry into a queue table. Have a windows scheduled task wake up every
minute, fire up a VB.Net app, it checks the database and if there's anything
in the queue, it creates the PDF document(s).

Client Side OnBlur Triggering Validation =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lLkRhdHRpbG8=?= ASP .Net 1 06-18-2004 09:06 PM
Triggering Button clicked event when I hit enter key at edit box.... Veeresh ASP .Net 1 06-16-2004 07:38 AM
Triggering dial-up Marco Wong Cisco 1 11-28-2003 02:23 PM
Triggering both client and server side scripts Karim ASP .Net 3 11-26-2003 04:20 PM
CustomControl - Not triggering on an empty field. Eric B ASP .Net 1 09-03-2003 09:24 AM

Advertisments