Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > CDO and PDF Files

CDO and PDF Files

Jeff

We're having some trouble with some PDF files sent to our customers,
they aren't able to be read because they are "damaged, and cannot be
repaired". Looking into this, I think it has to do with the encoding
we are using. We don't specify a type and I think it's defaulting to a
7-bit encoding, when I think we need 8.

First of all, does that sound right? If so, does anyone have an
example of how to specify the right encoding for PDF files? The
messages are in HTML format, with PDF files attached. We're using VB6
and CDO.

Thanks in advance....

Here is a snippit of the code we use.

With oMail

..Configuration.Fields.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing")
= pSendUsingPickup

..Configuration.Fields.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver")
= mRunOptions.SMTPServer

..Configuration.Fields.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport")
= mRunOptions.SMTPServerPort

..Configuration.Fields.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverpickupdirectory")
= mRunOptions.PickUpPath

..Configuration.Fields.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpconnectiontimeout")
= mRunOptions.SMTPConnectTimeout
.Configuration.Fields.Update

.Subject = "eMail Report
.From = "(E-Mail Removed)"
.To = pLastAddr
.AddAttachment (App.Path & "\our_logo.gif")
.AddAttachment "Test.PDF"
.HTMLBody = pHTMLHeader & pHTMLBody & pHTMLFooter
.Send
End With

Jeff Cochran

On 15 Feb 2005 07:46:33 -0800, "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>We're having some trouble with some PDF files sent to our customers,
>they aren't able to be read because they are "damaged, and cannot be
>repaired". Looking into this, I think it has to do with the encoding
>we are using. We don't specify a type and I think it's defaulting to a
>7-bit encoding, when I think we need 8.
>
>First of all, does that sound right? If so, does anyone have an
>example of how to specify the right encoding for PDF files? The
>messages are in HTML format, with PDF files attached. We're using VB6
>and CDO.

We have no issues sending PDF attachments using CDO. Though we don't
use HTML format, I doubt that's the issue. As for the code, ours is
virtually identical with the exception of not using a pickup and not
setting any connection timeout, plus the non-HTML.

Are you possibly sending Acrobat 6/7 formats? We default to Acrobat
3.0 and above for most, 5.0 and above for the rest.

Jeff