Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP will not display SQL text datatype

ASP will not display SQL text datatype

Amanda H

I just modified a SQL table field's datatype from char to text to accomodate
more text, and suddenly the results are not being displayed on my webpage.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks, Amanda

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Do you see the data in a view-source?

If not, this? http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2188

Ray at work

"Amanda H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1U7Pd.1782$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I just modified a SQL table field's datatype from char to text to

accomodate
> more text, and suddenly the results are not being displayed on my webpage.
>
> Has anyone encountered this before?
>
> Thanks, Amanda

Amanda H

Yes, I can see data in Enterprise Manager.

I've gotten around the problem by changing the datatype to nvarchar, but I
don't know much about what that datatype is...

- Amanda

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you see the data in a view-source?
>
> If not, this? http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2188
>
> Ray at work
>
> "Amanda H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1U7Pd.1782$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > I just modified a SQL table field's datatype from char to text to

> accomodate
> > more text, and suddenly the results are not being displayed on my

webpage.

> > Has anyone encountered this before?
> >
> > Thanks, Amanda

Uncle Ben

Amanda,

You need to name your columns in the SELECT statement and put the column of
Text datatype last. i.e. don't do SELECT *

Then in your ASP, retrieve those columns in the same order as your SELECT
statement.

See if that helps.