Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Jscript or Javascript?

Jscript or Javascript?

Drew

I need to do some client-side scripting for my Intranet and was wondering if
Jscript or Javascript would be better? Everyone here uses IE 5.0 +, so I
need to make a decision...

Thanks,
Drew

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Javascript. There's no relevant difference other than the name, really.
But do a <script type="text/javascript"> as a good practice.

Ray at work

"Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need to do some client-side scripting for my Intranet and was wondering

if
> Jscript or Javascript would be better? Everyone here uses IE 5.0 +, so I
> need to make a decision...
>
> Thanks,
> Drew

Patrice

If everybody uses IE, you'll use JScript. If needed, you can still check
your site using some other browser to check if it works with JavaScript (and
over time have guidelines to use common features).

If I remember the main difference is in indexing arrays (JScript will use
parenthesis or brackets while JavaScript uses only brackets).

IMO it's likely you'll have more problem with the Document Object Model
exposed by various targeted browsers than with JScript/JavaScript
themselves...

Patrice

--

"Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message
de news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need to do some client-side scripting for my Intranet and was wondering

if
> Jscript or Javascript would be better? Everyone here uses IE 5.0 +, so I
> need to make a decision...
>
> Thanks,
> Drew

Hal Rosser

"Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need to do some client-side scripting for my Intranet and was wondering

if
> Jscript or Javascript would be better? Everyone here uses IE 5.0 +, so I
> need to make a decision...
>
> Thanks,
> Drew

JavaScript (play it safe) if your sys admin decides to support firefox,
you'll be covered

Dave Anderson

Patrice wrote:
> If I remember the main difference is in indexing arrays (JScript will
> use parenthesis or brackets while JavaScript uses only brackets).

That's incorrect. Internet Explorer allows parentheses where brackets should
go when accessing DOM collections, but not for arrays. Note that Internet
Explorer is not JScript, and DOM is not JScript.

--
Dave Anderson