Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > DateAdd

DateAdd

Wer

Hi,

I'm trying to add hours together in the format HH:MM + HH:MM. There
doesn't seem to be a functional part of DateAdd that will accomplish
this though ?

The calculation is to work out how many hours have been spent on a
website so exceeding the 24:00 is fine.
Is there another function that would accomplish this ?

Thanks

W.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Wer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to add hours together in the format HH:MM + HH:MM. There
> doesn't seem to be a functional part of DateAdd that will accomplish
> this though ?
>
> The calculation is to work out how many hours have been spent on a
> website so exceeding the 24:00 is fine.
> Is there another function that would accomplish this ?
>
> Thanks
>
> W.

Use DATEPART to convert the datetime values to the appropriate resolution
and simply add them together arithmetically. You will need to create a
function to display the results in hh:mm format if that is required, because
that ability is not builtin. Google should provide many examples of doing
this. I would search for

vbscript format time duration hh:mm

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

How would it know if you go from 13:50 to 14:50 that you mean 1 hour, 25
hours, 49 hours, etc.? You have to include a date to avoid this ambiguity.

Ray at work

"Wer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to add hours together in the format HH:MM + HH:MM. There
> doesn't seem to be a functional part of DateAdd that will accomplish
> this though ?
>
> The calculation is to work out how many hours have been spent on a
> website so exceeding the 24:00 is fine.
> Is there another function that would accomplish this ?
>
> Thanks
>
> W.

Evertjan.

Wer wrote on 31 jan 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> I'm trying to add hours together in the format HH:MM + HH:MM. There
> doesn't seem to be a functional part of DateAdd that will accomplish
> this though ?

Could be don but I prefer the hands on way below.

> The calculation is to work out how many hours have been spent on a
> website so exceeding the 24:00 is fine.
> Is there another function that would accomplish this ?

Using vbscript:

time1 = "13:17"
time2 = "12:51"

time1a = split(time1,":")
time2a = split(time2,":")

mi = 1*time1a(1) + 1*time2a(1)
hr = 1*time1a(0) + 1*time2a(0)

if mi>59 then mi = mi-60 : hr = hr+1

response.write hr & ":" & two(mi) ' writes 26:08

function two(x)
if x<10 then x = "0" & x
two = x
end function

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Evertjan.

Ray Costanzo [MVP] wrote on 31 jan 2005 in
> "Wer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to add hours together in the format HH:MM + HH:MM. There
>> doesn't seem to be a functional part of DateAdd that will accomplish
>> this though ?

> How would it know if you go from 13:50 to 14:50 that you mean 1 hour,
> 25 hours, 49 hours, etc.? You have to include a date to avoid this
> ambiguity.

Not the difference, Ray, but the sum was asked for.

They are just amounts of time to be added.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

My bad. :]

Ray at work

DateAdd Function Mel ASP .Net 1 11-07-2008 08:20 PM
dateadd() Řyvind Isaksen ASP General 4 10-18-2003 01:43 PM
dateAdd and datePart return 13, 14, 15 instead of 1, 2, 3 Tipple ASP General 2 10-16-2003 03:57 PM
DateAdd Function and error BC30451 Matt Tapia ASP .Net 1 08-13-2003 02:18 PM
DateAdd does not work lofty ASP General 5 07-20-2003 12:33 PM

Advertisments