Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Server.Transfer Vs. Response.Redirect... to... \\209.11.22.33\MyDir

Reply
Thread Tools

Server.Transfer Vs. Response.Redirect... to... \\209.11.22.33\MyDir

 
 
\A_Michigan_User\
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-25-2005
Ok, I give up... why do 1-4 work fine... but 5-6 give "can't find" errors?

1. Client-side VBscript code: call navigate("\\209.11.22.33\MyDir")
2. Client-side VBscript code: location.href ="\\209.11.22.33\MyDir"
3. Typing "\\209.11.22.33\MyDir" into my ie6 browser.
4. Typing "\\209.11.22.33\MyDir" into my Windows Explorer.

5. Server-side ASP: server.transfer "\\209.11.22.33\MyDir"
6. Server-side ASP: response.redirect \\209.11.22.33\MyDir"

How do I make it redirect?

Thanks.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bob Barrows [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-25-2005
"A_Michigan_User" wrote:
> Ok, I give up... why do 1-4 work fine... but 5-6 give "can't find"
> errors?
> 1. Client-side VBscript code: call navigate("\\209.11.22.33\MyDir")
> 2. Client-side VBscript code: location.href ="\\209.11.22.33\MyDir"
> 3. Typing "\\209.11.22.33\MyDir" into my ie6 browser.
> 4. Typing "\\209.11.22.33\MyDir" into my Windows Explorer.


>
> 5. Server-side ASP: server.transfer "\\209.11.22.33\MyDir"
> 6. Server-side ASP: response.redirect \\209.11.22.33\MyDir"
>


Really? This is the IP for Google: 64.233.167.99
When I type \\64.233.167.99 into the browser address bar, I get an error. I
have to type //64.233.167.99 to make it go to Google.

This results in "not found":
<%Response.Redirect "\\64.233.167.99"%>

This works fine:
<%Response.Redirect "//64.233.167.99"%>

I didn't bother trying Transfer.

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Schupp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-25-2005
> When I type \\64.233.167.99 into the browser address bar, I get an error.
> I


If the target IP is on your LAN you can access that server's file-system
using that syntax. Server.Transfer and response.redirect expect a valid URL

--
--Mark Schupp
Head of Development
Integrity eLearning
www.ielearning.com


"Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "A_Michigan_User" wrote:
>> Ok, I give up... why do 1-4 work fine... but 5-6 give "can't find"
>> errors?
>> 1. Client-side VBscript code: call navigate("\\209.11.22.33\MyDir")
>> 2. Client-side VBscript code: location.href ="\\209.11.22.33\MyDir"
>> 3. Typing "\\209.11.22.33\MyDir" into my ie6 browser.
>> 4. Typing "\\209.11.22.33\MyDir" into my Windows Explorer.

>
>>
>> 5. Server-side ASP: server.transfer "\\209.11.22.33\MyDir"
>> 6. Server-side ASP: response.redirect \\209.11.22.33\MyDir"
>>

>
> Really? This is the IP for Google: 64.233.167.99
> When I type \\64.233.167.99 into the browser address bar, I get an error.
> I have to type //64.233.167.99 to make it go to Google.
>
> This results in "not found":
> <%Response.Redirect "\\64.233.167.99"%>
>
> This works fine:
> <%Response.Redirect "//64.233.167.99"%>
>
> I didn't bother trying Transfer.
>
> Bob Barrows
> --
> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
> Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
> don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
> "NO SPAM"
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Barrows [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-25-2005
Mark Schupp wrote:
>> When I type \\64.233.167.99 into the browser address bar, I get an
>> error. I

>
> If the target IP is on your LAN you can access that server's
> file-system using that syntax. Server.Transfer and response.redirect
> expect a valid URL
>


D'oh!

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.


 
Reply With Quote
 
teknohippy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-26-2005
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:40:22 -0800, "Mark Schupp" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> When I type \\64.233.167.99 into the browser address bar, I get an error.
>> I

>
>If the target IP is on your LAN you can access that server's file-system
>using that syntax. Server.Transfer and response.redirect expect a valid URL


Yup, that's what appears to be happening to me. It's a UNC path, which
IE and explorer deal with fine, will mean bolox all to the ASP engine
though.



--
Iain Norman | http://www.eliteforum.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
\A_Michigan_User\
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2005
> If the target IP is on your LAN you can access that server's file-system
> using that syntax. Server.Transfer and response.redirect expect a valid
> URL


That's probably what is happening.

What would a "valid" URL look like?

http://209.11.22.33/MyDir

I haven't tried that yet... but I will.

Should that work for server.transfer and response.redirect ?

Thanks


"Mark Schupp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When I type \\64.233.167.99 into the browser address bar, I get an error.
>> I

>
> If the target IP is on your LAN you can access that server's file-system
> using that syntax. Server.Transfer and response.redirect expect a valid
> URL
>
> --
> --Mark Schupp
> Head of Development
> Integrity eLearning
> www.ielearning.com
>
>
> "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "A_Michigan_User" wrote:
>>> Ok, I give up... why do 1-4 work fine... but 5-6 give "can't find"
>>> errors?
>>> 1. Client-side VBscript code: call navigate("\\209.11.22.33\MyDir")
>>> 2. Client-side VBscript code: location.href ="\\209.11.22.33\MyDir"
>>> 3. Typing "\\209.11.22.33\MyDir" into my ie6 browser.
>>> 4. Typing "\\209.11.22.33\MyDir" into my Windows Explorer.

>>
>>>
>>> 5. Server-side ASP: server.transfer "\\209.11.22.33\MyDir"
>>> 6. Server-side ASP: response.redirect \\209.11.22.33\MyDir"
>>>

>>
>> Really? This is the IP for Google: 64.233.167.99
>> When I type \\64.233.167.99 into the browser address bar, I get an error.
>> I have to type //64.233.167.99 to make it go to Google.
>>
>> This results in "not found":
>> <%Response.Redirect "\\64.233.167.99"%>
>>
>> This works fine:
>> <%Response.Redirect "//64.233.167.99"%>
>>
>> I didn't bother trying Transfer.
>>
>> Bob Barrows
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
>> Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
>> don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
>> "NO SPAM"
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Barrows [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2005
"A_Michigan_User" wrote:
>> If the target IP is on your LAN you can access that server's
>> file-system using that syntax. Server.Transfer and response.redirect
>> expect a valid URL

>
> That's probably what is happening.
>
> What would a "valid" URL look like?
>
> http://209.11.22.33/MyDir
>

Yes. Forward-slashes instead of back-slashes
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments