Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP to Microsoft Word Automation

ASP to Microsoft Word Automation

JP SIngh

HI All

I just wonder if anyone has created a word document using ASP.

I am able to create a work document with ASP without any problem but what I
want to do is slightly more than I know. I am sure someone where will know
how to do the following.

We have a Word Template which is our standard contract type. I have some
data stored my access database record. I want to merge the two together.
i.e. take the data from access and insert into various points in the word
document. The points where I need to insert the data is definded by
Bookmarks in Word. This is how you can do it VBA but not sure if this is
possible in ASP.

In VBA I will write a statement like

With objWord
.Visible = True
.Documents.Add (WordTemplate)
.ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("GameDate").Select
.Selection.Text = (CStr(gamedate))
End With

Does anyone know the answer to the above issue or can you suggest an
alternative

thanks

Bob Barrows [MVP]

JP SIngh wrote:
> HI All
>
> I just wonder if anyone has created a word document using ASP.
>
> I am able to create a work document with ASP without any problem but
> what I want to do is slightly more than I know. I am sure someone
> where will know how to do the following.
>
> We have a Word Template which is our standard contract type. I have
> some data stored my access database record. I want to merge the two
> together. i.e. take the data from access and insert into various
> points in the word document. The points where I need to insert the
> data is definded by Bookmarks in Word. This is how you can do it VBA
> but not sure if this is possible in ASP.
>
> In VBA I will write a statement like
>
> With objWord
> .Visible = True
> .Documents.Add (WordTemplate)
> .ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("GameDate").Select
> .Selection.Text = (CStr(gamedate))
> End With
>
> Does anyone know the answer to the above issue or can you suggest an
> alternative

If it was a desktop app, I would not hesitate to suggest using Word
Automation for this. But seeing that you want to do it in a server app, I'm
much more hesitant. See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q257757

I would rather create an html version of the Word template and use simple
string Replace to insert the data. You can use contentType to control what's
sent to the client.

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

As per Bobs suggestion, use contentType as per this
technique:

http://www.devx.com/asp/Article/17964

First, get the data you need from Access and put each item
into a Session variable or an Array and store the array in
a session variable.

Then create your document as you want it to look in Word
with all its formatting ect. However whereever you want
to insert data from your Access database type something
like this (for full name):

VAR_PERSON_FULL_NAME

Then save your template as an RTF file type. Open the RTF
file you just created in Notepad. What you will see is a
load of RFT coding. However buried in this mess will be
your codes, ie VAR_PERSON_FULL_NAME. Copy everything from
the RTF file (without changing everything) into a clean
(blank) ASP page. Press home on your keyb to get right to
the start of the page and paste this:

<%Response.ContentType = "application/msword"%>

Do not add any spaces or other formatting after the
ContentType declaration above. You want to end up with
this:

<%Response.ContentType = "application/msword"%>{\rtf1\...

Now, do a search and find your VAR_PERSON_FULL_NAME code,
replace it with <%=Session("full_name")%>. Repeat for all
other codes. Run your ASP and you should generate your
Word document in the browser. Save and select Word as the
filetype and your done!

HTH,

Colin