Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Child Thread Can't Write To Session In Multithreaded ASP.NET

Child Thread Can't Write To Session In Multithreaded ASP.NET

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

Hello all,

I have a webpage processing a long-running report that can take up to a minute or two to complete. So I spawn a child process and have it do the work while the browser checks back periodically. When the work is finished, a flag is set in session, which the requesting web client picks up and returns the results. Sounds pretty standard so far, right?? Anyhow, this all works fine when Session State is inproc, BUT, when I convert to using out-of-proc session, the edits that the worker process is making to Session state aren't being recognized. Can anyone shed some ligh on what's going on here

Thanks
Chris

=?Utf-8?B?QWxiZXJ0IFBhc2N1YWw=?=

Make sure you pass the Page.Session on you thread and you'll be fine

Al

John Saunders

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> I have a webpage processing a long-running report that can take up to a

minute or two to complete. So I spawn a child process and have it do the
work while the browser checks back periodically. When the work is finished,
a flag is set in session, which the requesting web client picks up and
returns the results. Sounds pretty standard so far, right?? Anyhow, this all
works fine when Session State is inproc, BUT, when I convert to using
out-of-proc session, the edits that the worker process is making to Session
state aren't being recognized. Can anyone shed some ligh on what's going on
here?

Are you using a child thread or a child process?

And how is the child setting the flag in session state?
--
John Saunders
johnwsaundersiii at hotmail