Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Mail merge to Word from ASP

Mail merge to Word from ASP

Morris

Does anyone know whether it is possible to effect a mail merge to MSWord
using VBScript in an asp file? I know it is possible to produce a doc
file and force a download using

Response.ContentType = "application/msword"
Response.AddHeader content-disposition","attachment;filename=myfile.doc"

but can I interate through a bunch of records and produce, say, a
separate invoice for each one by merging? I know how to iterate through
the records and write them out, btw.

TIA

Morris

Bullschmidt

<<
Does anyone know whether it is possible to effect a mail merge to MSWord
using VBScript in an asp file? I know it is possible to produce a doc
file and force a download using

Response.ContentType = "application/msword"
Response.AddHeader content-disposition","attachment;filename=myfile.doc"

but can I interate through a bunch of records and produce, say, a
separate invoice for each one by merging? I know how to iterate through
the records and write them out, btw.

I don't even think a Word mail merge of invoices would even be at all
simple even with just straight Access because each invoice record also
contains multiple invoice detail line records.

My sample invoice database on the Web just shows all the invoices asked
for but doesn't try to make a Word mail merge out of it.

You already know aobut Response.ContentType = "application/msword"

And also of course a user could do File | Save As from the browser to
save the invoices to disk (as an html file) and then open the html file
in Word although I'm not really sure how seemless that would be with all
the files involved such as images files...

Best regards,
http://www.Bullschmidt.com