Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Working with time (dateDiff)

Reply
Thread Tools

Working with time (dateDiff)

 
 
John Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2005
Hi,

I'm having trouble working out the best way of calculating the time
difference between two times on the same day.
The example I have found does return the hours (in this case but forgets
the minutes.

I am looking to return the hour & the minute but i've had a look at the
dateDiff format and this doesn't seem possible ?

Thanks

J.


---------------------------------
time1 = "09:15"
time2 = "17:30"


hours = datediff("h",time1,time2) ' in hours

response.write(hours)
----------------------------------


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rob Meade
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2005
"John Smith" wrote ...

> I am looking to return the hour & the minute but i've had a look at the
> dateDiff format and this doesn't seem possible ?


> hours = datediff("h",time1,time2) ' in hours


hours = datediff("m", time1, time2) ' in minutes

hours = hours / 60

its rough...

Rob


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rob Meade
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2005
"John Smith" wrote ...

> ---------------------------------
> time1 = "09:15"
> time2 = "17:30"
>
>
> hours = datediff("h",time1,time2) ' in hours
>
> response.write(hours)
> ----------------------------------


So - in the above - hours = 8 and the minutes are lost...

hours = datediff("n", time1, time2) ' in minutes
' hours would now =


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rob Meade
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2005
"John Smith" wrote ...

> ---------------------------------
> time1 = "09:15"
> time2 = "17:30"
>
>
> hours = datediff("h",time1,time2) ' in hours
>
> response.write(hours)
> ----------------------------------


Hi John,

Please excuse my first post which I placed an m for minutes instead of the
n - please then excuse my second post which I sent to early prior to
finishing a code example...

Try this!

<%
time1 = "09:15"
time2 = "17:30"

' minutes = datediff("n",time1,time2) ' in minutes
' response.write(hours)

hour1 = hour(time1)
hour2 = hour(time2)

minutes1 = "00:" & minute(time1)
minutes2 = "00:" & minute(time2)

hoursDiff = datediff("h", time1, time2)
minutesDiff = datediff("n", minutes1, minutes2)

If minutesDiff > -1 Then

' positive hour difference
timeDiff = hoursDiff & "hrs " & minutesDiff & "mins"

Else
' negative hour difference
hoursDiff = hoursDiff - 1
minutesDiff = 60 + minutesDiff

timeDiff = hoursDiff & "hrs " & minutesDiff & "mins"

End If

Response.Write timeDiff
%>

Give the above ago - then try changing it so that the minutes of time2 are
less than the minutes of time1 - still works nicely - you'll need to play
with different times to test it fully I'm sure there's still an opportunity
here for error in the above.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rob


 
Reply With Quote
 
McKirahan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2005
"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cscc2j$624$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble working out the best way of calculating the time
> difference between two times on the same day.
> The example I have found does return the hours (in this case but

forgets
> the minutes.
>
> I am looking to return the hour & the minute but i've had a look at the
> dateDiff format and this doesn't seem possible ?
>
> Thanks
>
> J.
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> time1 = "09:15"
> time2 = "17:30"
>
>
> hours = datediff("h",time1,time2) ' in hours
>
> response.write(hours)
> ----------------------------------


Const time1 = "09:15"
Const time2 = "17:30"
Dim hours, mins
hours = datediff("h",time1,time2)
mins = datediff("n",time1,time2)
If mins > 60 Then mins = mins - hours * 60
response.write hours & ":" & mins


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is time.time() < time.time() always true? flamesrock Python 8 11-24-2006 06:51 AM
Re: interpreting the fractional portion of time.clock() vs time.time(0measurements Peter Hansen Python 0 02-22-2006 02:02 PM
Re: interpreting the fractional portion of time.clock() vs time.time()measurements Peter Hansen Python 0 02-22-2006 12:03 AM
time.clock() or time.time() peterbe@gmail.com Python 8 08-05-2005 01:51 PM
delta time = time stop - time start engsol Python 2 01-26-2004 12:06 PM



Advertisments