Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Unable to install IIS on Windows XP Home Edition

Unable to install IIS on Windows XP Home Edition

Nizar Jubran

Hi Mates,
I red a tutorial for installing IIS on windows XP HE, I bought a new
laptop with windows xp he, and i want to install iis on it, in the
tutorial i enter the system and make some changes then i add the
iis.dll and the iis.inf, anyway.. after some steps I reach to the
control panel and I have an IIS option, I thought it worked but when I
was not able to check the option in order to click next and continue
to the installation of the IIS.
I rebooted and remade the tutorial but i got the same problem - can't
check the option of the iis in the control panel "ADD/REMOVE WINDOWS
COMPONENTS" - what can i do ? please help me ..

McKirahan

"Nizar Jubran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi Mates,
> I red a tutorial for installing IIS on windows XP HE, I bought a new
> laptop with windows xp he, and i want to install iis on it, in the
> tutorial i enter the system and make some changes then i add the
> iis.dll and the iis.inf, anyway.. after some steps I reach to the
> control panel and I have an IIS option, I thought it worked but when I
> was not able to check the option in order to click next and continue
> to the installation of the IIS.
> I rebooted and remade the tutorial but i got the same problem - can't
> check the option of the iis in the control panel "ADD/REMOVE WINDOWS
> COMPONENTS" - what can i do ? please help me ..

Upgrade to WinXP Pro which support IIS.

Jeff Cochran

On 14 Jan 2005 02:49:31 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Nizar Jubran)
wrote:

>I red a tutorial for installing IIS on windows XP HE, I bought a new
>laptop with windows xp he, and i want to install iis on it, in the
>tutorial i enter the system and make some changes then i add the
>iis.dll and the iis.inf, anyway.. after some steps I reach to the
>control panel and I have an IIS option, I thought it worked but when I
>was not able to check the option in order to click next and continue
>to the installation of the IIS.
>I rebooted and remade the tutorial but i got the same problem - can't
>check the option of the iis in the control panel "ADD/REMOVE WINDOWS
>COMPONENTS" - what can i do ? please help me .

Didn't you just ask this? The answer never changes -- this is
unsupported and you're on your own if it doesn't work.

Jeff

Nizar Jubran

Well, I have read a tutorial for installing IIS on winXP HE and it
worked, but it's not working on my computer particularry, that's why I
asked, not because i wanted you to tell me if I can or not :S:S:S

McKirahan

"Nizar Jubran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#qBmuHl#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I have read a tutorial for installing IIS on winXP HE and it
> worked, but it's not working on my computer particularry, that's why I
> asked, not because i wanted you to tell me if I can or not :S:S:S

"I red [sic] a tutorial for installing IIS on windows XP HE" -- where?

Perhaps:

How to get IIS running on your Windows XP Home system
http://www.webthang.co.uk/tuts/tuts_...h/pippo_xp.asp

WARNING: Microsoft do not support the installation of IIS on XP Home
edition. This work around is not for beginners. If you have any doubts about
your ability to carry out the instructions in this article DO NOT attempt
this tutorial. Back up all your important information before attempting this
method of installing IIS. Neither the author or WebThang accept any
responsibility for damage caused to your data or computer resulting from the
use of this method of installing IIS.

Steven Burn

Try a different server............

KF Web Server (freeware)
http://freeware.it-mate.co.uk/?Cat=Internet#53

More servers......... (freeware)

http://www.bart-ware.net/

http://savant.sourceforge.net/

http://www.serverwatch.com/stypes/se.../15893_1376711

even more........

http://www.webattack.com/freeware/se...ebserver.shtml

http://www.networkingfiles.com/Inter...rnettools7.htm

http://www.tucows.com/httpserver95_default.html

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

"Nizar Jubran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi Mates,
> I red a tutorial for installing IIS on windows XP HE, I bought a new
> laptop with windows xp he, and i want to install iis on it, in the
> tutorial i enter the system and make some changes then i add the
> iis.dll and the iis.inf, anyway.. after some steps I reach to the
> control panel and I have an IIS option, I thought it worked but when I
> was not able to check the option in order to click next and continue
> to the installation of the IIS.
> I rebooted and remade the tutorial but i got the same problem - can't
> check the option of the iis in the control panel "ADD/REMOVE WINDOWS
> COMPONENTS" - what can i do ? please help me ..

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Thanks for the links Steven. I followed through on a bunch of them and
updated this article: http://www.aspfaq.com/2079

It now lists 5 alternative products that support ASP, and a bunch that
don't.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#4zU9al#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try a different server............
>
> KF Web Server (freeware)
> http://freeware.it-mate.co.uk/?Cat=Internet#53
>
> More servers......... (freeware)
>
> http://www.bart-ware.net/
>
> http://savant.sourceforge.net/
>
> http://www.serverwatch.com/stypes/se.../15893_1376711
>
> even more........
>
> http://www.webattack.com/freeware/se...ebserver.shtml
>
> http://www.networkingfiles.com/Inter...rnettools7.htm
>
> http://www.tucows.com/httpserver95_default.html
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> Steven Burn
> Ur I.T. Mate Group
> www.it-mate.co.uk
>
> Keeping it FREE!
>
> "Nizar Jubran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > Hi Mates,
> > I red a tutorial for installing IIS on windows XP HE, I bought a new
> > laptop with windows xp he, and i want to install iis on it, in the
> > tutorial i enter the system and make some changes then i add the
> > iis.dll and the iis.inf, anyway.. after some steps I reach to the
> > control panel and I have an IIS option, I thought it worked but when I
> > was not able to check the option in order to click next and continue
> > to the installation of the IIS.
> > I rebooted and remade the tutorial but i got the same problem - can't
> > check the option of the iis in the control panel "ADD/REMOVE WINDOWS
> > COMPONENTS" - what can i do ? please help me ..

Steven Burn

My pleasure )

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:esYIixl#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the links Steven. I followed through on a bunch of them and
> updated this article: http://www.aspfaq.com/2079
>
> It now lists 5 alternative products that support ASP, and a bunch that
> don't.
>
> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)
>

> "Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#4zU9al#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Try a different server............
> >
> > KF Web Server (freeware)
> > http://freeware.it-mate.co.uk/?Cat=Internet#53
> >
> > More servers......... (freeware)
> >
> > http://www.bart-ware.net/
> >
> > http://savant.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > http://www.serverwatch.com/stypes/se.../15893_1376711
> >
> > even more........
> >
> > http://www.webattack.com/freeware/se...ebserver.shtml
> >
> > http://www.networkingfiles.com/Inter...rnettools7.htm
> >
> > http://www.tucows.com/httpserver95_default.html
> >
> > --
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Steven Burn
> > Ur I.T. Mate Group
> > www.it-mate.co.uk
> >
> > Keeping it FREE!
> >
> > "Nizar Jubran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > > Hi Mates,
> > > I red a tutorial for installing IIS on windows XP HE, I bought a new
> > > laptop with windows xp he, and i want to install iis on it, in the
> > > tutorial i enter the system and make some changes then i add the
> > > iis.dll and the iis.inf, anyway.. after some steps I reach to the
> > > control panel and I have an IIS option, I thought it worked but when I
> > > was not able to check the option in order to click next and continue
> > > to the installation of the IIS.
> > > I rebooted and remade the tutorial but i got the same problem - can't
> > > check the option of the iis in the control panel "ADD/REMOVE WINDOWS
> > > COMPONENTS" - what can i do ? please help me ..

Nizar Jubran

Thanks a lot mate, u helped me a lot

Steven Burn

Your welcome ;o)