Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > how to add items to a basket

how to add items to a basket

nike

please i need help. I am doing a wed site online shopping system for my
school project, which requires some asp coding using vb script. I am new to
asp and have no knowledge whatsoever on how to code what i need.
Please please please could someone please provide me with help, or
coding on how to add item details into a basket record, once the user clicks
the add to basket link.

Gérard Leclercq

Ask google advise "shopping cart ASP"
http://www.google.be/search?hl=nl&q=shopping+cart+ASP

nike adeshola

Mark Schupp

Have you done a design or are you trying to jump right into coding?

If you have not done a design yet you need to think through how the site is
to work. What will the user see, what will they have to do, what pages will
be displayed and about what they will look like.

I've never done a shopping cart myself but the critical part that usually
comes up on this newsgroup is how to store the user's list of items in
between pages. 2 ways are commonly in use:

Put the information in session variables. This is fast and easy to do
but sessions can expire (losing data), sessions require in-memory cookies to
be enabled, and session variables use server memory which could impact
performance on a heavily used site.

Keep the information in a database and pass an identifier around in a
session variable, or a hidden form field, or in the query string.

Once you get a little further along and have specific questions about how to
do things you should be able to get more detailed help here. However, it is
usually quicker to open a book on ASP and get answers to routine questions.
Also see www.aspfaq.com and some of the other ASP sites like www.asp101.com.

--
--Mark Schupp
Head of Development