Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Consuming Web Services with ASP 3.0

Consuming Web Services with ASP 3.0

David Young

Hi,

I have been asked to write a client application for consuming a web
service for a cms written in ASP 3.0. I have very little experience
of developing on a microsoft platform, and very basic skills in ASP.
I am a java programmer by trade, and have used java for achieving the
same thing in the past. I have done some research on the subject, and
am a little unsure on what is involved in developing the above. The
web service simply returns and xml document as a String, based upon 2
parameters, these are both also strings.

I understand I need to utilise the SOAP toolkit, and have downloaded
version 3.

Is it feasible for me to be able to develop a very basic client
application within a few days or is it much more involved?

Many thanks

David

Roland Hall

"David Young" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
: I have been asked to write a client application for consuming a web
: service for a cms written in ASP 3.0.

I see this a lot... "I've been asked to write ___________ but I am a(n)
developer in _________" You are contracted or your employer thinks all
languages are the same?

:
: I understand I need to utilise the SOAP toolkit, and have downloaded
: version 3.

Utilize it to do what? I've never used it and I'm writing ASP/XML
e-commerce apps.

: Is it feasible for me to be able to develop a very basic client
: application within a few days or is it much more involved?

That is an unknown. For an ASP developer, perhaps in less time than that,
maybe more, but with no details, who can say?

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

David Young

Initially my company was contracted to write a web service for a local
authority partnership project in the UK. I believe they all thought
that the majority of the coding work would be on the server side, not
the client, and that their side of the implementation would be trivial.
Since we provided the web service, they have come to us to write the
client applications also. We did suggest that implementation via an
IFrame, the source coming from a java application we provided would be a
cheap and easy compromise. They are reluctant to go down this route due
to accessibility issues.

So we are stuck with a local authority who do not have the resources or
the skills to write the client application, and we have the resources,
but not the asp knowledge.

I've been asked to investigate what is involved.

We've managed to get to a compromise, where by If we can write a script
to simply invoke the webservice with 2 parameters, then store the
returned string in a variable, our client is able then to integrate it
with their cms.

Thanks

David

Roland Hall

"David Young" wrote in message
news:%23O%23a%233I%(E-Mail Removed) ...
:
[...]

Ah, see now I had the latter. My boss thought if you knew programming, you
could write anything and demanded it be done, on time!

It sounds like your deadline is ASAP and your compromise sound like it is
easy enough to accomplish. If you'd like help getting it done, we can try
to help you here or if you need more assistance, you can contact me
directly. I'm always looking for more projects/contacts.

--
Roland Hall - contact emalexyzrolandATnetscapeDOTnet - remove XYZ and
convert the uppercase